Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Bleeding brakes in dna rear end. Need help
Last Post: chopperfugger
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 7
Views: 149
Leaking spoke wheel. Help needed
Last Post: cntrhub
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 6
Views: 190
Seen the new Harleys?
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: 03-31-2020
Replies: 3
Views: 99
What are these?
Last Post: erlobulldog
Posted On: 03-30-2020
Replies: 4
Views: 137
2001 Road King transmission swap
Last Post: CIC2016
Posted On: 03-29-2020
Replies: 1
Views: 175
More...
Old 03-08-2020, 04:42 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: WAR EAGLE SINGLE SIDED PRO STREET
Not Ranked     
Bias ply and radial tire question

I'm finishing up my Trike. Been working on this for a few years. Running radials on the back. Can I run a bias ply tire up front or does it need to be radial also?
Old 03-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 88" ACM Rigid Bobber
Not Ranked     
I cannot say on a trike but it’s generally never a good idea. I had a friend who inherited a ‘72 FLH and towed it to me because he was afraid to ride it because something was seriously wrong with the front end. I checked everything(or so I thought) and it was all good so I took it for a ride, the first sweeping turn I took was horrifying. The front end felt like it was falling apart, turns out there was a brand new radial in the back and a well worn bias ply in the front...gained some knowledge that day.

Last edited by Captain America; 03-08-2020 at 06:37 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2020, 10:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: WAR EAGLE SINGLE SIDED PRO STREET
Not Ranked     
Captain
I've seen some articles that say Harley runs a bias ply on the front and radial on the rear. I always thought that they couldn't be mixed also.

The Motorcycle Tire Question: Radial, Bias or Both?
Which raises the question, why are some manufacturers delivering new models with radial rear tires and bias-ply fronts? Harley-Davidson Softail Breakout and CVO Breakout are both equipped with a radial rear (240/40R-18) and a bias-ply front (130/60B-19) are examples of bikes that use this combo presumably for the advantages of longer tread life and better heat dissipation for rear tires.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:58 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 89 Honda VT 600 hard-tail
Not Ranked     
Redneck Opinion

I'm not a tire tech, but I know how they each perform. The radials dissipate heat faster, making them more laterally stable... This meaning they flex side to side less when cornering. When you factor in the generally reduced sidewall dimension, it compounds how stiff they are. I live in the sticks, and have a 77 ElCamino with 325 HP. I once put radials on it... it chewed em' up and spit em' out in less than 10K miles. Weighing 3790 lbs. and hauling ass down these twisty country roads, they tended to slide in the curves, sometimes wanting to swap ends when I hit the 4 barrel half way through (learned to drive from some old bootleggers). The higher sidewall of bias gives them more air capacity, that produces a much smoother ride. Smoothest riding car I ever drove was a Cadillac with spoke (wire basket) rims. Heat in the bias makes traction, "hot means sticky". That's why when I used to drag race, you do burn-outs before you stage. So it's just a matter of choice. If were to make a choice for a trike (especially if it had a posi-trac rear end giving more straight line push in the corners), I'd choose the extra traction up front. As I said though, it's just a redneck point of view...