Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
2001 Road King, again
Last Post: pushrod243
Posted On: Today
Replies: 1
Views: 45
Turning trouble
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 06-14-2019
Replies: 2
Views: 65
Info on a New York motorcycle shop from the 80's
Last Post: Dogoargento
Replies: 0
Views: 89
Identification Help
Last Post: mchesmo3
Replies: 2
Views: 931
WCC CFL Build for sale
Last Post: jmurray72
Posted On: 06-10-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 169
More...
Old 05-28-2019, 07:34 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005, Swift Bar Chopper, S&S 117 Super S
Not Ranked     
S&S 117 Wonít start.

So, a simple oil change. Put the 2005 Swift Bar Chopper up on my lift. Drained the oil pulled the plug off next to the filter to make taking it off easier. New filter installed. New oil back in tank after putting drain plug back in. Lowered bike. Ignition on, fuel on, its in neutral, switch to run, hit start switch and all I get is a clicking noise each time I hit the start switch.

Battery puts out 12.6 volts. Drops to about 12.4 when trying to start. Battery is good. Obviously getting power through the ignition switch, through the cutoff switch, and to the start switch. Not sure what the click is when I hit start. Itís one single click for each press of the switch.

Anyone know what the plug is on the front of an S&S 117 next to the filter? It has an electrical plug on n it with a couple wires off of it.

No idea how itís not starting. Ran fine right before, when I took it for a ride to get the oil hot. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 07:35 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
How hard is it to get to the starter? You can pull the wire off of the solenoid and see if you still hear a click..If you do hear a click, that is telling you that you are hearing the relay for the starter button click.. If that is working then it should be delivering 12v to the solenoid. If no 12v. then the relay could be burned. If it is delivering 12v then it is probably the solenoid.

I would guess that it is the solenoid contacts dirty ..burned..In that case, then pull the end
off of the solenoid and clean the contacts...super high current right there and is not unusual..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 05-30-2019, 04:49 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 06 BBC DA...
Not Ranked     
If it were me I'd put it on the battery tender and try it when you get the green light.

I bought one these little jumpers a couple days ago. I figured for 40.00 it would be worth it if it saved me once.
I charged it up over the night and stuck it in my tool bag.

I Started working on an old Lexus yesterday . The battery was dead after sitting for a couple months so I figured what the hec. This little thing is the size of my cell phone. It started that old Lexus right up. I was shocked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-31-2019, 07:45 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Well, the clicking sound, I found, are the compression relief valves operating. I’m guessing I have zero power to the starter, which I believe is under the primary cover, towards the rear.

I work as an aircraft technician on midnights so, I don’t get a lot of time to work on this bike. Sucks having no shop manuals, and no wiring diagrams.

The wiring on this bike is a mess. I’m the 3rd owner, and people have hand their hands in the harness.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
The only part of the starter that is under the primary cover is the starter jack shaft gear..The starter is mounted above the rear of the tranny, and you should be able to access the
solenoid from the other side of the bike..( the solenoid is mounted to the starter) depending how crowded you are, mine is really easy to get to. Just pull the small wire off the solenoid,and check your 12v when you push the button..and then go from there..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 05-31-2019 at 11:01 AM..
Old 06-03-2019, 06:32 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Finally had a chance to take a look at the starter/solenoid this morning, after getting off of work. Found one of the wires came off of the solenoid. Bingo! Gotta crimp the end a bit better. Slides on/off too easily. Surprised it never fell off while riding, or maybe it was just about ready too.

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it!