Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: Today
Replies: 25
Views: 5,455
Tank Building Tutorial.
Last Post: Markee
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 99
Views: 22,828
Starting a New Build but its not a CFL
Last Post: 666 Spot
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 16
Views: 1,520
Oil Lines
Last Post: Maustarman
Posted On: 08-14-2019
Replies: 9
Views: 1,834
Bars upside down
Last Post: Poop
Posted On: 08-12-2019
Replies: 3
Views: 181
More...
Old 12-28-2018, 04:23 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 80" bobbed prostreet,'06 RdKng.
Not Ranked     
Evo cam swap

Been awhile since I've posted anything.Aquiring a 69 El Camino,then building a bigblock,well,time flys.All the while bikes running great.

Heavily considering a cam swap in the evo,which is a late/head breather softail motor.On the fifth set of tires,odometer went out 9 years ago at 22,000,I feel it's time to address the inner cam bearing and lifters.Thinking while I'm in there,might as well give it some cam increase w/o going crazy.EV27 seems to be a popular choice as far as a bolt in not requiring other supporting components as springs and/or machine work.I'm guessing this motor has at least 50,000 on it.At this mileage,would replacing the blocks be "good medicine"?....and any lifter/cam suggestions are invited...regards.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom
Send a message via Yahoo to pushrod243
Not Ranked     
Id definetly replace the lifters. The lifter blocks should be fine. Just look for signs of wear. Do a through cleaning and inspection of the tappet screen and timesaver adjustable pushrods will help save some time and gasket $. TYpically you will need a .050-.065 chahim to set up the end play on the cam and I always replace the cam bearing while im in there on anything with that kind of mileage on it.

EV27 is a good choice but if you ride hard you might like he EV46 better. It too is a bolt in cam and its my cam of choice on a lighter bike that wants a broad power band. The 27 pulls very similar but seems to flatten out at 4500 where the 46 keeps on pulling to redline
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
www.scootersperformance.com
(four0seven)330-2056

Old 01-14-2019, 05:54 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Slow leak vs. standard lifter.Whats the difference?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:12 PM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Stick with stock lifters. The restricted ones are noisy and the stock ones are more reliable for bolt in cams

John
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
(four0seven)330-2056

Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod243 View Post
Stick with stock lifters. The restricted ones are noisy and the stock ones are more reliable for bolt in cams

John
OMG,what a difference in price between S&S and CCI,Twin Power,Johnson HY lifts......whats up with that?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I know its crazy right? I use and sell the standard S&S lifters they are about $100 a set and in my opinion as good as the $400+ Jims lifters. I have been doing this for a long time and on an EVO its a fact ALL LIFTERS FAIL.

The factory service manual recommends changing them on a stock engine at 30K miles. Granted a higher lift cam & or high valve spring pressure is going to increase the stress on the lifters. Jims increased the size of the roller and the bearings and in theory it should be a much stronger lifter but honestly they all fail at the same time or in most cases the Jims stuff is used on higher output engines see the fail sooner. Ultima recommends replacing then every 15k on their engines and they use a standard lifter. Although I do have the Jims in my Hotrod FXR I really through the years have went back to just using the standard lifters and replacing them sooner. Most guys take a couple years or more to put on 30K miles so why buy $400 lifters just replace the standard ones at 20-25K and you can go 100k for $400 right?

As a shop owner it was hard to look a guy in the face and tell him his $400 lifter I upsold him failed at 15k and he now needs a new cam and oil pump.....so thats my reasoning....I just recommend a shorter life cycle and keep an eye on the tappet screen and an ear on the cam cover every once and a while.
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
(four0seven)330-2056

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yeah,I feel I've been pushing my luck for a couple of years as being on the fifth set of tires (no smoking the tire) but runs so well/very dependable for the last 12 years since I built the bike.I'm sure the lifters are due.I was moreso concerned about the inner cam bearing.I heard they used a plastic cage to save 17 cents or something to that tune.
BTW,I did a cam swap (S&S 509) at 30,000 on my '06 RoadKing a few years ago,beings the tensioner shoes needed changing,and I'm one of those "while I'm in there" kind of guys.Before I started it,it had new oil pump,Cyco shoes,lifters,and cam bearings.Matter of fact,got the cam from you PR..

Last edited by Am4wag; 01-18-2019 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: spelling