Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Hard Core II builders
Last Post: Fatback
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 10,920
Views: 845,928
"Not the Normal" builds, from WCC
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 19,297
Views: 5,245,949
Help identifying 70's - 80's springer
Last Post: tnbkrtrash
Posted On: 10-21-2018
Replies: 1
Views: 46
Wtb: Primo open belt drive
Last Post: rkduq20
Posted On: 10-19-2018
Replies: 4
Views: 365
13 Ignition Dropping Out
Last Post: BostonShovel
Posted On: 10-17-2018
Replies: 8
Views: 318
More...
Old 08-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Brake Light Issue

New to this non-factory bike thing. Have a '05 CFL and just swapped out the brake light to a different style. I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical.
I thought the one that was on the bike was working before the swap, but to be honest I didn't really check.
So here's what I know;
In-line hydraulic rear brake pressure switch.
I have the red connected to red. Black to black. Green to blue.
If I run a jumper wire from the black to the frame, both the brake light and plate light, turn on. But no on-off with brake pressure applied.
Without the jumper to ground, nothing comes on.
I swapped black and green and blue and black, but it didn't fix anything.

So maybe I'm missing something, but does it sound like I have a bad pressure switch? I tried jumping the connectors on the switch (not sure if I was successful - hard to do that and look at the light) and unplugging them, but it didn't turn the light on or off.

Any ideas? Maybe I'm missing something stupid.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2018, 04:31 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 88" ACM Rigid Bobber
Not Ranked     
It sounds like your light is grounded through the lamp body, you need to make sure the body is properly grounded so you will probably have to scrape some paint/powder to get a good ground. I prefer to run a proper ground wire to my lights. You can check to see if you have a good ground by hooking your test light to the positive battery terminal and the probe to the lamp body.

To check the switch connect your test light to the negative side of your battery and probe both terminals on the switch, one should be hot, then probe the other terminal while applying brake pressure, if it does not light up you need a switch, if it does you need to check your wiring.

Last edited by Captain America; 08-05-2018 at 04:34 PM..
Old 08-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks for the tips. Tied both. Here is what happened;

You can check to see if you have a good ground by hooking your test light to the positive battery terminal and the probe to the lamp body. Light turned on.

To check the switch connect your test light to the negative side of your battery and probe both terminals on the switch, one should be hot, then probe the other terminal while applying brake pressure, if it does not light up you need a switch, if it does you need to check your wiring. Two things happened here.
First; I had previously ran a "manual" ground from the mounting plate to the bike as this would make the brake light turn on and the plate illumination light on (so I could drive with some type of light on). With this "manual ground" still on, the brake switch would not light up my test light on either terminal.
Second; With the "manual ground" wire removed, the test light would light up on 1 side of the switch and would light up on the other side of the switch when the brake was pressed (as in theory it should). But would not light up my brake light still.

I'm even more stumped now...I hate electricity and circuits...I should become Amish...

Thanks again for any help and insight!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2018, 08:29 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
OK, start from scratch. Disconnect your wires and verify what the wire on the bike actually are. Test light on the positive terminal of the battery and you will verify which wire is ground. Next, use that wire as the ground for your test light and figure out which wire is running lights and which is brake...mark them all or write it down. Now using a battery, find the ground on the new lamp, the brake light, and the running light and connect the wires accordingly(the brake light is the bright one).
Old 08-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Those hydraulic brake switches go bad, especially aftermarket ones.

you can test them by putting sound ohmmeter on the contacts and pushing the brake pedal- you would hear the sound when the master is compressed.

On my builds i started to use this nice mechanical switch right under brake pedal.

It's on when the pedal moves away from it letting the plunger out.

But as the captain said, you want to make sure what is what-running light, brake and ground.

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber
Old 08-07-2018, 07:05 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I've tried everything! Bought a lift so that I can get the bike up off the ground and look at this thing better. Been bouncing my head off the ground for a few nights now.
Will report back if I ever get this figured out or bring it in to get fixed.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Did some more digging;

Multimeter reads 12v on red wire (from battery).
Multimeter reads 12v on green wire (from brake switch when engaged and 0v when brake is off).
Multimeter reads 6-7v on black wire (ground).

Soooo, why is the ground wire getting power??? Guessing this is a bad ground connection somewhere??
Old 08-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
You need to find where that black wire goes, if you still have the old lamp you might want to check functionality on that. Right now if you taped off that black wire and ran a proper ground your new tail lamp should work but you need to figure out exactly what that black wire is...does the bike have a lighting module?