Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Considering this Chopper help needed
Last Post: Captain America
Posted On: Today
Replies: 4
Views: 102
Hello from Louisiana
Last Post: Ejblives
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 32
Help finding Spike air filter for Ironhorse
Last Post: Gunreaper
Posted On: 08-15-2018
Replies: 31
Views: 733
Aluminum girder frontend
Last Post: PRFCT
Posted On: 08-14-2018
Replies: 0
Views: 68
WCC parts for sale?
Last Post: strippersnhogs
Posted On: 08-13-2018
Replies: 3
Views: 199
More...
Old 03-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 06 BBC DA...
Not Ranked     
? about oil lines and gauge on a twin cam

Hey guys, Sorry to keep bringing this up, I just can't find any info on it at all. Every TC that I have looked at has the oil pressure sending unit up front, I just can't figure this shit out.

So its a 96" twin cam built in 2007, S&S cases, Andrew cams and everything else is HD. There is not port for a sending unit up front. My thought it that its been like this from day one and the bike hasn't been riden very much because it still has the original back tire.

I'm getting no oil pressure at all but I know its flowing good and I know the flow speeds up when I twist the throttle.

Can you guys take a look at your TC engines and see if any has the oil sending unit in the back.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Sorry , but I just woke up from my nap..Are you sure your oil gauge is good? All of mine have burned up mounted around that location..How do you know your flow is good if you have no pressure reading on the gauge? I know on an Evo...the oil pressure outlet is around the pump..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2018, 06:49 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
52, I know the old and new gauges work, 100% on that. As far as flow, I removed the return line coming off of the oil cooler and stuck the line in the oil tank fill port. It flows good and increases when you twist the throttle.
The engine isnt new and this pressure thing came with it when I bought it. My mods have only made it better and have nothing to do with the oil pressure.
I think the builder didn't install a check valve or missed something else. The enigine runs good and doesn't make any unwanted noise.
I have yet to hear from a person that has seen this setup, all the TC engines I have seen have the pressure gauge/sending unit on the front of the engine.
From the little bit that I have read about this leads me to be worried about a higher pressure over lower, specially on a cold startup.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ok, I'm waking up now, but I don't see how you can have oil flowing through the system and not have any pressure showing on the gauge..?

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel52 View Post
I don't see how you can have oil flowing through the system and not have any pressure showing on the gauge..?
Well, apparently the TC is a lot different than the evo...
Old 03-25-2018, 10:39 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I always thought that an oil pressure gauge outlet was simply a hole drilled (threaded) into the oil circuit.
If there is pressure on the system, in your case there is, ...since oil is flowing...then you will have to have pressure showing on the gauge, unless the small hole in the gauge stem is stopped up..I would remove the gauge and test it just to eliminate any doubt ..try hooking an air hose to it and see if you can make it register..or just see if oil squirts out the outlet hole when you turn it over..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 03-25-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Old 03-25-2018, 04:32 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
.try hooking an air hose to it and see if you can make it register..or just see if oil squirts out the outlet hole when you turn it over..
like I said above, the old and new gauges work fine. Its not a gauge issue. 110% sure. My first thought was to put a little air pressure to it.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:54 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Heres a little ditty I found a few days ago. It kind of has me thinking the check valve for this system isn't in or done wrong. These S&S cases are different than HD and remember this engine is 11 years old.
Look at the pic in the OP, the oil pump configurations it a lot different than any other TC engines. it looks like an evo, don't let that fool you, its nothing like the it.

Twin Cam Oiling System Basics - Tech
Oil Pressure
To maintain proper oil pressure, the Twin Cam engine uses a spring-loaded pressure relief valve, which is located in the cam support plate. The purpose of the relief valve is to protect the engine from excessive oil pressure. However, a sticking valve will cause low oil pressure. For example, when starting a cold engine in 20-degree weather and using 20/50 oil, the relief valve will open and protect the engine from extreme pressures that can damage engine seals. In contrast, if the valve stops working properly and sticks open due to debris from worn chain tensioners or poor machining tolerances, oil pressure can drop below minimum requirements. Unfortunately, low oil pressure causes a domino effect. First, the hydraulic lifters start clattering due to a lack of oil. Additionally, the oil supply to the top end is reduced, further amplifying engine noise and clatter. To compound the problems, the piston cooling jets, when opened, usurp oil from the lifters.

The pressure relief valve consists of a plunger and spring. The plunger must move freely and seat properly to maintain proper oil pressure. In addition to being held open due to debris circulating in the oil, the plunger has been known to catch and hang up on a machining burr in the bypass port, thereby reducing oil pressure. Whenever you rebuild a Twin Cam engine or install new cams, it's important to make sure the pressure relief plunger moves freely and seats properly in the cam plate bypass port. Feuling makes a high-quality pressure relief spring for the Twin Cam with the correct spring rate to control and maintain proper oil pressure.

Gerotor Oil Pump
Twin Cam 88 and 88B engines use a small, die-cast, gerotor-style oil pump turning at crankshaft rpm that utilizes a spring washer to preload the pump gears against the cam support plate and pump housing. Over the years, the Factory made several improvements to the Twin Cam's gerotor oil pump, with the late-model 2007-and-newer (2006-and-newer Dyna) pumps being the best of the lot. Nevertheless, what you want in an oil pump is a pump that can supply the pressure and volume of oil required at both low- and high-rpm conditions in addition to sufficient scavenging capability to eliminate wet-sumping (sometimes called oil carryover).

Last edited by golfish; 03-25-2018 at 06:36 PM..
Old 03-25-2018, 07:12 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Good research, I guess it's just getting more complicated like every thing else on the market..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 03-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Amen brother. You know we used to read here that a pressure gauge and or a temp gauge should be thrown out, they will only drive ya crazy.
Before I retired I used to get caught up in LA traffic, yes, even at 1:30pm. When my evo was done with it and got hot it would tell me, I'm just not sure about this one..
Ive got about 7K into the whole bike, it needs a new back tire and some nice leather on the seat, probably a new primary belt....
These are the things that I like. I'm no expert mechanic but I do like to tinker ..
I can always count on help from this site got to love it
Old 03-26-2018, 11:41 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The Thing that I don't like about the twin cam, even though It packs more horses for the same displacement, is that.... Walt Disney..... cam drive system, driven buy two small chains and with the fiber drag type tentioners. You have to check those every 20k miles or sooner for fiber particles and wear..like checking the brakes on your car..People have had them crack and break off also....I can handle the primary tentioner but don't like for the cams..that's why I sold mine.....It was a screamer though.

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 03-26-2018, 03:02 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
The Thing that I don't like about the twin cam, even though It packs more horses for the same displacement, is that.... Walt Disney..... cam drive system, driven buy two small chains and with the fiber drag type tentioners. You have to check those every 20k miles or sooner for fiber particles and wear..like checking the brakes on your car..People have had them crack and break off also....I can handle the primary tentioner but don't like for the cams..that's why I sold mine.....It was a screamer though.
Doesn’t s&s have a kit, fully geared replacement eliminating chains altogether?

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber
Old 03-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Not sure, but you would probably have to mortgage your house to do all that..all that junk in there is probably why they had to go with a higher pressure oil pump and this relief valve bunk..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 03-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I've had the bike all apart for various reasons. I thought
What the heck, took the gauge off and started the bike.

It sucks ......air with the gauge off.