Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Hellion CFL Build.
Last Post: SKT
Posted On: 12-13-2017
Replies: 492
Views: 99,214
Need help all around.
Last Post: pushrod243
Posted On: 12-13-2017
Replies: 3
Views: 132
Spade belt guard work with BDL TF2000?
Last Post: Damraider
Posted On: 12-12-2017
Replies: 4
Views: 213
shift linkage
Last Post: rem hamilton
Posted On: 12-10-2017
Replies: 2
Views: 163
Brake Lines
Last Post: caymanchris
Posted On: 12-10-2017
Replies: 6
Views: 1,015
More...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
or is it pressurized and foamed because of heavy buildup in the cases?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2017, 12:55 AM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 06 BBC DA...
Not Ranked     
Okay guys, I'm just about out of talent for this one. If the ring\s are bad, wouldn't I be seeing blow by 100% of the time? I road it home on Tuesday and didn't have any problems, of course the oil level was below the tunnel.

Wouldn't it be smoking from the exhaust. The only smoke I see is coming from the oil soaked exhaust wrap

I thought I had it yesterday, but now I'm all fucked up.

I'll put it up on the lift and see if I can find anything. I'll remove one of the case vents.

Poop, 52, thanks again for your input.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
One more idea on the oil tank would be to unhook your vent line from the tank and stick the vent hose in a plastic milk jug ...crank the bike ..let it warm up and see if you have any oil blowing out ..pressure...this may give you an idea if your oil tank vent is faulty..you should have very little..if any. I would do this first, then go to the cases..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 08-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel52 View Post
One more idea on the oil tank would be to unhook your vent line from the tank and stick the vent hose in a plastic milk jug ...crank the bike ..let it warm up and see if you have any oil blowing out ..pressure...this may give you an idea if your oil tank vent is faulty..you should have very little..if any. I would do this first, then go to the cases..
Thanks, I can do that.
I swapping a hybrid battery in a Honda Insight today. I'd really like to run this car off a cliff right now. 4hrs and I just got the bad one out..
Old 08-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Shovel52, I took the vent line off and stuck the hose down a empty oil jug. Ran the bike for a few minutes and didn't have any oil blowing. I took off all the lines and ran some compressed air through em.

I'm guessing these are the vents your asking about ?

Old 08-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy

I don't know, it seems that if you had any pressure, then you would have had oil blowing out of
the oil tank vent, as the feed line backed up, or maybe from the other way.....I wonder if it does it if you hook it back up?? if it does then....bad oil tank vent.... problem is , you can't see it.. .anyone else have any thoughts on this? anyway here is a pic. of your case vent..it should be open, Your picture shows the crankcase breather in the heads, a lot of people have trouble with those valves in there....I would open the crankcase, maybe you are sumping and it will blow out the case vent in stead of back through the oil tank, but it should be blowing out the head breathers..

http://www.lillianrosechoppers.com/i...20routing2.gif

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 08-05-2017 at 07:44 PM..
Old 08-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I did some googling on this....Most cases of pressurized oil tanks come from kinked vent lines, or over filling the oil tank causing smothered vents causing oil pump sumping....sure points back to the vent ..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 08-05-2017 at 07:57 PM..
Old 08-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
So looking at the picture /link you posted. I see the vent to the oil tank, the drain / feed line and the return . There's nothing else.

These are S&S twin cam cases.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
So you are saying that the twin cam cases don't have a crankcase vent like shown in the picture
the very bottom one?....... bummer.....I am thinking that you have a bum oil tank and a very weak vent and that is causing oil to sump, you need to modify your vent somehow.

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 08-05-2017 at 09:05 PM..
Old 08-05-2017, 09:21 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
So you are saying that the twin cam cases don't have a crankcase vent like shown in the picture
the very bottom one?....... bummer.....
Yes, I only have the three

S&S case, you'd think they would have it righr ?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005-2012 Exile Cycle
Not Ranked     
Can you monitor your oil temp? Fill the oil tank to the lower level so both sides can vent, ride around but keep an eye on oil temp. If no issues you've identified the problem.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Good idea 96, just fill it to below the cut out...

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 08-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamio96 View Post
Can you monitor your oil temp? Fill the oil tank to the lower level so both sides can vent, ride around but keep an eye on oil temp. If no issues you've identified the problem.
I have an oil cooler coming this week. I'm a little concerned about oil pressure and flow. There's a pressure gauge that has a crack in it so I figured forget it. I know we all don't like to read pressure guauges.
I'd like to add oil below the tunnel level, run the return to the oil tank fill spout and see what kind of return flow I get. There should be no pressure in the oil tank if I do it this way, right?

Guys, I'm confused on this one, the back flow of oil builds up to fast for it to be a pressure problem on that side of the oil tank, and I'm not sure how a bad ring/s would cause this without there being some oil pump/ check valve.issues.

Last edited by golfish; 08-06-2017 at 08:38 PM..
Old 08-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I doubt if you have bad rings, It looks like you have excess oil blowing past your (good) oil pump check valve because of pressure from a bad vent.....that is why you unhooked your vent hose from the tank, and ran the motor with the hose vented to the atmosphere..no pressure right? because you are now vented ......or, Miamio96 suggested to just test it by filling the tank slightly to below the cut out to free up the vent..if it runs right then fix your oil tank.....Yes you could run your return back through your fill cap,oil would only pour out through your feed or the drain..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 08-07-2017 at 08:19 PM..
Old 08-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
I doubt if you have bad rings, It looks like you have excess oil blowing past your (good) oil pump check valve because of pressure from a bad vent.....that is why you unhooked your vent hose from the tank, and ran the motor with the hose vented to the atmosphere..no pressure right? because you are now vented ......or, Miamio96 suggested to just test it by filling the tank slightly to below the cut out to free up the vent..if it runs right then fix your oil tank.....Yes you could run your return back through your fill cap,oil would only pour out through your feed or the drain..
Yeah, no pressure from the vent when I unplugged it, things are looking up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamio96 View Post
Okay, the last time I did a cold start on it, I went an inch or two above the tunnel and oil blew out after about 5-7 seconds. with the cap off.

Tonight I drained the oil and then set the level below the tunnel. I ran the return line into the fill so I could monitor oil flow. I had no oil blow out at all and the flow was good, albeit it did get a little weak\squirty at times.

I think this will allow me to install the oil cooler and see what the temps will be with the extra oil added by the cooler, I'd bet there's no more that 2qts in it.

So guys, if I add another bung to the top of the oil tank and split the vent to each bung, do ya think this will vent enough on both sides?