Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Need help all around.
Last Post: magnum45pete
Posted On: Today
Replies: 1
Views: 23
Spade belt guard work with BDL TF2000?
Last Post: Damraider
Posted On: Today
Replies: 4
Views: 141
shift linkage
Last Post: rem hamilton
Posted On: 12-10-2017
Replies: 2
Views: 120
Brake Lines
Last Post: caymanchris
Replies: 6
Views: 973
Who makes a Hydraulic Twist clutch setup?
Last Post: slytat666
Replies: 10
Views: 1,387
More...
Old 07-13-2017, 06:36 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
S&s super e problems

I'm having problems with my carb. My bike is a bitch to start, warm or cold. It pretty much has to be choked. When running it frequently pops in the carb when I blip the throttle. It's very strong while running down the road, however I'm having a very difficult time adjusting the accelerator pump, seems no matter where it's set, it stumbles when you blip the throttle.... I just can't get it to crack. Also, while at highway speed when I let off the throttle it snaps and pops in the pipes..... So I have a few issues.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackiron99 View Post
I'm having problems with my carb. My bike is a bitch to start, warm or cold. It pretty much has to be choked. When running it frequently pops in the carb when I blip the throttle. It's very strong while running down the road, however I'm having a very difficult time adjusting the accelerator pump, seems no matter where it's set, it stumbles when you blip the throttle.... I just can't get it to crack. Also, while at highway speed when I let off the throttle it snaps and pops in the pipes..... So I have a few issues.
You sound lean. Make sure there are no manifold leaks.
What kind of pipes you have? Might be a bitch to do jetting/tunning, especially intermediate circuit if they are short, open and unequal.

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I have Santee 50 cal pipes, no baffles. I believe they are 1 3/4, and end at the rear axle.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Oh, and I don't think I have manifold leaks..... My intake gaskets are brand new, and just to make sure they sealed I sprayed wd40 around tgem while it was running, and didn't notice a pickup in rpm's.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:20 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
The popping sounds lean...also the hard starting sounds like starving for fuel...
Maybe you need a good cleaning....Have you tried pumping the throttle while you are on the starter button....? Mine won't crank unless I have gas shooting in,,,,How about if you use starter fluid?with the air cleaner off? Does this make a difference in cranking? you may be looking a t doing a good cleaning..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 07-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel52 View Post
The popping sounds lean...also the hard starting sounds like starving for fuel...
Maybe you need a good cleaning....Have you tried pumping the throttle while you are on the starter button....? Mine won't crank unless I have gas shooting in,,,,How about if you use starter fluid?with the air cleaner off? Does this make a difference in cranking? you may be looking a t doing a good cleaning..
The carb was just rebuilt. It has a brand new carb body, so it's clean. So why do you think it's lean? And which one do you think is lean?
Old 07-13-2017, 08:08 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
I just rebuilt the carb, and ended up buying a brand new body because my other was broken. So everything is clean. What do you think is making it lean? The main jet, or intermediate?
Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I just rebuilt my carb, and ended up buying a new carb body because my other was cracked. So everything is clean as can be. What do you think is causing a lean condition? My main, or intermediate jet?
Old 07-13-2017, 08:46 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
My carb is clean, fresh rebuild, and brand new carb body (original body HAD a crack at the A/F mixture hole. What do you suspect is causing the lean? The main jet, or intermediate. And why am I unable to find any sweet spot on the accelerator pump setting?
Old 07-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 88" ACM Rigid Bobber
Not Ranked     
If it's popping out of the carb it's lean, out the pipes is rich, the condition of your plugs will tell you quite a bit also. When you twist the throttle are you getting a good pump shot that you can see? If you're accelerator pump well is clogged from dirt or not full because of an incorrect float setting you won't have much of a pump shot. That being said, what engine do you have and what ignition system are you using?
Old 07-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
If it's popping out of the carb it's lean, out the pipes is rich, the condition of your plugs will tell you quite a bit also. When you twist the throttle are you getting a good pump shot that you can see? If you're accelerator pump well is clogged from dirt or not full because of an incorrect float setting you won't have much of a pump shot. That being said, what engine do you have and what ignition system are you using?
Ok, I have popping in the exhaust at highway speed only when I left off the throttle. I have pop in the carb when sitting at idle and I blip the throttle. S&S tech says I need to increase the main jet. And make sure I don't have a manifold leak. My manifold gaskets are brand new, and I sprayed wd40 on the while the bike was running. I didn't observe any pickup in rpm's.... still stumped.... especially since the jet combo the tech is suggesting foweled plugs before...
Old 07-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Granted, you do not have manifold leak[ i'm not sure wd40 is reliable, i pressure tested the integrity of manifold while spraying flanges with soapy water]

Overall It sounds like you might be lean on intermediate jet[thus hard starting, needing choke and popping when try to open the throttle] and perhaps rich on main[ thus, when you let go off throttle, the engine compression still sucks gas in, throws it through straight wide exhaust[not the best for tuning] where it continues to burn and pop.

You actually have to shut off the acc. pump to do the jetting correctly- initially intermediate, then main.

Last edited by STEINBVG; 07-14-2017 at 11:12 AM..
Old 07-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
From what I read, usually a lean mixture causes more of a thunk in the exhaust pipes than a pop. the pipes are running hot and igniting the gas that is not completely burnt up..Popping means rich in the pipes..So that is a little confusing........Don't forget the air cleaner also.....too thin of an element or velocity stacks , cones,etc...can cause lean.....Tape off part of your air cleaner and
en richen it up slightly ...take it for a ride..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 07-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
From what I read, usually a lean mixture causes more of a thunk in the exhaust pipes than a pop. the pipes are running hot and igniting the gas that is not completely burnt up..Popping means rich in the pipes..So that is a little confusing........Don't forget the air cleaner also.....too thin of an element or velocity stacks , cones,etc...can cause lean.....Tape off part of your air cleaner and
en richen it up slightly ...take it for a ride..
I have the s&s tear drop, with k&n filter.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:12 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ice jetting instructions from s&s