Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Hellion CFL Build.
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 487
Views: 91,030
Todds Cycle seat pan
Last Post: Miamio96
Replies: 1
Views: 42
New bobber needs more oil
Last Post: golfish
Replies: 16
Views: 286
Wire Plus WP143 - Turn Signal Cancel Module
Last Post: iwata
Replies: 3
Views: 1,607
Hello
Last Post: Poop
Replies: 2
Views: 57
More...
Old 07-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Used 2003 KIT with revtech wiring questions

I picked up a 2003 KIT (that's the make listed on the title) that I can't get started.
It has a revtech 100CI engine, belt drive, softtail.

Charged the battery (a lithium, sweet!) bought a new ignition switch, drained the tank and cleaned the fuel filter, and pulled the plugs.

It cranks over, but I am not getting any spark.
The headlight, turn signals and taillight also don't work. I used a test light and have power to I believe 2 terminals on the ignition switch.

The new ignition is for a fat bob and looks exactly like the old one.

Basically I need a starting point for things to check on the wiring. Since it isn't a factory bike, I can't find any wiring diagrams. If pics would help, let me know what you want pics of since this post is probably about as vague as they come.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
You need a volt meter..or test light ...Check to see if you have 12v dc at the coils..that should come from the ignition switch.....one wire for both coils..If you have 12v dc, there then, the primary ground for the coils come from the ignition module....It grounds as the module..or points, open and close.....But right off the bat it sounds like since you don't have lights etc. that you probably don't have hot to the coils either....that is your first test..your coils have to be hot.......Go to your fuse box and see if you have any dead circuits....actually that should be your first test.....ignition module has to be hot too.

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 07-10-2017 at 07:13 PM..
Old 07-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 88" ACM Rigid Bobber
Not Ranked     
Do every thing Shovel52 said, a quick check would be to remove the timing cover, does your status light flash during cranking, if it is you should have spark.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The new ignition is wonky. It doesn't have any detents, the key fits good but when you turn it it doesn't "click" in any direction. I had the part guy open another one and it felt the same way.

I have no status light, nothing except the starter button cranks the motor over.

I will look for some fuses but that usually is worthwhile if one circuit isnt working.

I have experience with wiring, when I was 17 I took an enduro honda and made it an XR once I found a wiring diagram. I have test lights and voltmeters, so I can check later today. It has a CC ignition mudule (I think thats what it is) in front by the fender. It also has a coil on the left side with the two plug wires.

Where would the fuses typically be? Under the seat is the battery, and a goofy lump wrapped in electrical tape. I will pull that tape off and see if there is any asshattery going on.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1942 Harley 45 Magnum
Not Ranked     
start from new.... rip all the wires out and go through it one wire at a time... that way ya know its done & what every wire does.
what revtec motor is it ??... shovelhead,.evo... twincam ???... get the factory manual for whatever the motor is and follow the diagram using the parts of it that are valid for your needs....
easiest way to do it
Old 07-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Hopefully you have a fuse box, and every thing is all together,and not individual circuit breakers. mine has the individual breakers...You just have to dig and check all breakers..another thing that makes it hard is they change wire colors along the way....Make sure that all breakers..fuses..have voltage on each side of them,,, or they are blown......Try this..
go to your coils and test for 12v at the black wire probably..red maybe...hot wire.....if it is dead,,,,trace that wire back to the ignition switch, chances are, that you have several items tied to that circuit.
ignition module, coils, etc...just find out why that line is dead...if it's not dead , find ignition module wire and do the same procedure......trace it back to the ignition switch ..Magnums suggestion is a good one too, if you can't trace wires, sometime it is easier to just run a new wire................................
To answer some of your other questions...the starter is on another planet . it is on it's own extreme high current circuit..they don't even fuse it.
to check if your ignition switch works.....one side of it is connected to a breaker or fuse and is always hot no matter the key position...the other poles are only hot when you turn the key..check that with your 12v tester...................Your ignition module is mounted on the right side of the engine..it replaces the points.......One other tip to trace wires..you can use your ohms meter...example....the black wire to the coils.. stick a sewing needle into the wire.......now stick a sewing needle into the black wire coming from the( key on) side of the ignition switch......you should read
continuity..if it is the same wire..Make sure the battery is disconnected for this test.

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 07-11-2017 at 05:48 PM..
Old 07-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
It started raining on my today so I had to stop but here is what I checked.
The coil, both sides have continuity to ground and 12v when I check with a voltmeter between the coil terminals and the + on the battery.
Should they be grounded?
The other thing is the ignition switch. I am still concerned that it doesn't have any detents. It doesn't click in any position and if you shake it the key rotates on it own. That doesn't seem right. It's a brand new fatbob style from the HD dealer. I had the parts guy open a second new one and it did the same thing.

So the next thing I checked was continuity between the terminal. Looking straight down, the top right is hot and is jumpered to the third terminal going clockwise.
The second terminal is jumpered to the 4th. Terminal 5 has a single white wire, terminal 6 has a single blue wire.
I don't get continuity between anything except obviously the ones jumpered together. In either key position. I am used to cars so I would assume the key should make contact between some of the terminals when turned.
BTW my old key does the same except it has 2 detents when turned clockwise and one when turned counter clockwise. Like an accessory position?

Tags
100ci, fat bob, revtech