Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Ultima 140
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: Today
Replies: 24
Views: 2,459
CfL top motor mount
Last Post: robertarner
Posted On: 03-07-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 791
Post up WCC Engraved Air Cleaner Pics
Last Post: Choppa
Posted On: 03-01-2024
Replies: 66
Views: 20,364
Drive Belt question for Iron Horse Judge
Last Post: veronawhite
Posted On: 02-28-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 485
More...
Old 04-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ultima 6 speed RSD problems

Hey guys,

I have an Ultima RSD 6 speed with a 3" primary. Setting up the clutch cable I found that I could only pull the clutch basket out .040" No matter where I set the pretension on the pushrod or the clutch cable I could only get the face of the clutch basket to move .040"

Consequently the clutch isn't disengaging all the way and it's hanging up. I have a bandit sportsman clutch and they say I need at least .060", I would like to see .080"

So I started measuring the ramp, throw and what not, come to find out, the outside of the ramp housing is running into the tranny cover. In other words, when I pull the clutch in and the ramp starts to push the push rod in, the ramp housing runs into the clutch pulley cover, only allowing it to push the push rod in .040"

I am not sure what to do. Could I have the wrong ramp assembly???

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Lance
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2017, 04:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
so the 3" primary is what brand? Did the pushrod you are using come with the transmission? I have found that you have to modify the Ultima parts to work with others. Can you space cover out a little with gaskets? Will that then make it too hard to adjust clutch cable? Not clear on exactly what is happening
Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-19; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance S View Post
Hey guys,

I have an Ultima RSD 6 speed with a 3" primary. Setting up the clutch cable I found that I could only pull the clutch basket out .040" No matter where I set the pretension on the pushrod or the clutch cable I could only get the face of the clutch basket to move .040"

Consequently the clutch isn't disengaging all the way and it's hanging up. I have a bandit sportsman clutch and they say I need at least .060", I would like to see .080"

So I started measuring the ramp, throw and what not, come to find out, the outside of the ramp housing is running into the tranny cover. In other words, when I pull the clutch in and the ramp starts to push the push rod in, the ramp housing runs into the clutch pulley cover, only allowing it to push the push rod in .040"

I am not sure what to do. Could I have the wrong ramp assembly???

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Lance
I'm not sure how the activator can be touching the pulley/sprocket? cover.

Could you show the pictures? possibly showing the end position where they touch?
I have exactly the same transmission and it works just fine.

Besides, due to the nature of my exhaust i had to turn the clutch activator 90 degrees[ drilling and threading new holes in the pulley cover] so the cable faces up instead of forward.
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech FL 2014/2019 bobber
Old 04-27-2017, 06:19 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Basically, when the ramp is inside the ramp casing, and it's bolted to the pulled cover, the ramp housing only has .040" of movement available before it runs into the outside face of the pulley cover. I am just going to have to either take some material off the inner ramp housing or make the recess on the pulley cover a larger diameter to accept the ramp housing when it articulates towards the pulley cover to actuate the push rod bearing. Bottom line is I am just going to need to make room where there currently isn't any.

I was thinking maybe I had the wrong ramp housing (too large a diameter) or the ramp housing cover wasn't deep enough or something. But it looks like Ultima only makes one RSD clutch actuator so I guess they figure .040" of movement is enough to release your clutch. lol. It isn't.

I put the question up on another forum, if I am not making sense, you can read this one.
chopcult - Ultima RSD 6 speed problems

I will try and get pics up later today. I can't believe I am the only person that is having trouble with their clutch not being fully disengaged on the Ultima RSD tranny. I can't imagine people are getting full disengagement with only .040 of movement. Even when the bike isn't running, when I pulled the clutch in, and it's in gear, I can feel the drag when I roll the bike back and forth. Bandit (the clutch I have), suggests a minimum of .060" of clutch plate disengagement.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
This is definitely a tough one man..with out taking it apart and looking at it personally...something has to be loose or worn..no problems with my Ultima..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2017, 10:18 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Basically, when the ramp is inside the ramp casing, and it's bolted to the pulled cover, the ramp housing only has .040" of movement available before it runs into the outside face of the pulley cover. I am just going to have to either take some material off the inner ramp housing or make the recess on the pulley cover a larger diameter to accept the ramp housing when it articulates towards the pulley cover to actuate the push rod bearing. Bottom line is I am just going to need to make room where there currently isn't any.

I was thinking maybe I had the wrong ramp housing (too large a diameter) or the ramp housing cover wasn't deep enough or something. But it looks like Ultima only makes one RSD clutch actuator so I guess they figure .040" of movement is enough to release your clutch. lol. It isn't.

I put the question up on another forum, if I am not making sense, you can read this one.
chopcult - Ultima RSD 6 speed problems

I will try and get pics up later today. I can't believe I am the only person that is having trouble with their clutch not being fully disengaged on the Ultima RSD tranny. I can't imagine people are getting full disengagement with only .040 of movement. Even when the bike isn't running, when I pulled the clutch in, and it's in gear, I can feel the drag when I roll the bike back and forth. Bandit (the clutch I have), suggests a minimum of .060" of clutch plate disengagement.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
From what i understood, I firstly would try to shim the actuator against the pulley cover with, moving it slightly out- just for the sake of trial let's say with 3 of 1/16" washers, see if it gives room for necessary throw...
than if it works, you can cut the right shape shim of necessary thickness...
Just a thought.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEINBVG View Post
From what i understood, I firstly would try to shim the actuator against the pulley cover with, moving it slightly out- just for the sake of trial let's say with 3 of 1/16" washers, see if it gives room for necessary throw...
than if it works, you can cut the right shape shim of necessary thickness...
Just a thought.
Yep, I can do that. I will get over there in the next day or two and shim it with washers. I am sure I will get the extra throw I need that way. I can always have a spacer machined but I hate the thought of that. Who knows, maybe the actuator cover I have is too short (bad run from the factory). It happens. I can increase the diameter of the recess on the pulley cover as well, that will allow the inner ramp housing to drop into it and give me the throw I need. Unfortunately the cover is chromed so I don't know if once it gets opened up if the chrome will then start to flake off or not.

Thanks,

Lance
Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I put some .060" washers in between the clutch actuator housing and the pulley cover and it gave me the throw that I needed. Looks like I will either have to have a spacer made or take some material off the ramp housing to fit into the recess. Either way, just have to do some grinding or laithe work to get it done. Thanks for the help guys. Got to ride this weekend. Outside of the clutch she is running great.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
I put some .060" washers in between the clutch actuator housing and the pulley cover and it gave me the throw that I needed. Looks like I will either have to have a spacer made or take some material off the ramp housing to fit into the recess. Either way, just have to do some grinding or laithe work to get it done. Thanks for the help guys. Got to ride this weekend. Outside of the clutch she is running great.
Here you go.
I would not modify / grind or machine the existing parts if i can't help it[ besides i still have some doubts about the issue to make it irreversible].

Depends upon situation and my mood, i might leave the washers in place as they work .

Otherwise i would simply transcribe/trace the footprint+ holes of the actuator on a thin [1/16''] sheet of aluminum. carefully cut it out, smooth it up nicely and , when placed under- it will fill the gaps that the washers won't.
Cheers
Old 05-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ultima 6 speed RSD problems-image2.jpg

Ultima 6 speed RSD problems-image3.jpg

Ultima 6 speed RSD problems-image1.jpg

Couple pics of the project:

Sorry guys, don't know how that one got flipped. If someone knows how to rotate pics, a little help would be great. LOL. Can't do it from this computer.

Last edited by Lance S; 05-08-2017 at 10:51 AM..