Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
2004 Bourget Retro
Last Post: DRZ
Posted On: Today
Replies: 5
Views: 209
18-530 Wiring Harness Mounting Location?
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: 08-11-2020
Replies: 1
Views: 114
CFL Custom build--Headlight quit working
Last Post: logan
Posted On: 08-11-2020
Replies: 7
Views: 161
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 08-09-2020
Replies: 19
Views: 588
New Forum Member
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 08-09-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 318
More...
Old 07-09-2015, 05:39 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2009, saxon custom,S&S
Not Ranked     
chain tensioner help

I have some questions with respect to chain tensioners. Monstercraftsmen makes some nice chain tensioners using skate board wheels which can easily be replaced when worn out. I have sent them 2 emails with my questions but still have not heard back from them which is a little concerning right off the bat. here are my questions
1) all their videos show the chain tensioner mounted on a hardtail frame. can I use a chain tensioner on a swingarm frame ? I have converted one of my bikes to a 5 inch extended swingarm and went to a chain drive to fit my 330 on the rear
2) all the videos I have seen show the tensioner mounted below the chain pushing up from the bottom - can the tensioner be mounted above the chain pushing down on the top?

any input would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 07-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
the top side of the chain is the part under load when you accelerate. typically, sprung chain tensioners are meant to work on the bottom side, where there is typically more slack, less tension.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by poop View Post
the top side of the chain is the part under load when you accelerate. Typically, sprung chain tensioners are meant to work on the bottom side, where there is typically more slack, less tension.
i think he means to pick up slack of the bottom strand of the chain but from inside of the loop, not outside.

I have seen that done[ seems less common though- one can google chain tensioners images on the web]

ii have used chain tensioner from monster craftsman on my swing armed / suspended chopper, but i din't like the small 13 teeth sprocket adding extra noise.[later i used it on my open primary, but eventually eliminated it as well]

perhaps the rubber roller mc sells[ i would prefer the sturdier version of the two, not the skateboard's] ] would be quieter.

Actually, i think due to the nature of suspended bikes - chain alternates between relatively loose and tight with the suspension work- i would think chain tensioner wold be a good idea.

The only reason i would use chain tensioner on a rigid bike- if the chain was too long and had to travel bypassing some obsticles
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech FL 2014/2019 bobber
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2009, saxon custom,S&S
Not Ranked     
thanks guys that answers my questions. now if only i can get in contact with monsterctraftsmen . I want to go with one of the rubber versions to avoid the additional sprocket but not sure which one yet. if i go with the Powell skate board wheel i can get replacements easily and locally whereas the other one made by craftsmen would be available only through them so in case of an emergency i can get the other wheel here at a skateboard shop or sporting goods store.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by christok View Post
thanks guys that answers my questions. now if only i can get in contact with monsterctraftsmen . I want to go with one of the rubber versions to avoid the additional sprocket but not sure which one yet. if i go with the Powell skate board wheel i can get replacements easily and locally whereas the other one made by craftsmen would be available only through them so in case of an emergency i can get the other wheel here at a skateboard shop or sporting goods store.
Then try the skateboard one , you always can buy their roller upgrade ( they sell it separately) - the arm, mount and spring are the same I believe( check the axle , shoulder bolt size, 1/2"?)

Cheers

96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech FL 2014/2019 bobber