Club Chopper Forums

Club Chopper Forums (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   3" bdl belt drive removal help please (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/shop-talk/112018-3-bdl-belt-drive-removal-help-please.html)

gburkart 05-30-2015 01:22 PM

3" bdl belt drive removal help please

i have a '98 softail chopper with a 113 s&s.it has a 3" bdl belt drive on it.i need to replace some tranny seals and have it all torn down to just needing to remove motor mainshaft nut.how do i lock the belt drive to loosen the nut on motor shaft?any input will be greatly appreciated,thanks

Shovel52 05-30-2015 02:40 PM

Your probably going to have to make a device to hold or lock your clutch......I did...mine was made from a disk from an old brake caliper....and then a two feet piece of angle iron....on stock Harleys with chain drives ...you can use an old t shirt tied in a knot or similar and throw it in to jam the front pulley.. you may be able to do that...maybe..look up some you tube videos and get an idea on how to make something........EDIT....., all you are going to need in this case is just the long piece of angle iron...the device I made was to hold so I could remove the clutch nut...much more difficult.....took several hours to make that one,,,,but you are going to have to do that too..right?

gburkart 05-30-2015 03:18 PM

i got the clutch nut off by holding the rear brake down,i just dont know how to lock the belt drive to get the motor shaft nut loose.........

Shovel52 05-30-2015 04:35 PM

????...What kind of brake setup do you have?......I think you should have taken the motor nut off first...no way to hold it now..

gburkart 05-30-2015 04:58 PM

yeah,thats what my neighbor just told me,well,i can put the clutch back together easy enough lol.i have a thunderheart rear brake caliper.thanks for the advice,i gotta learn somehow.

Shovel52 05-30-2015 07:22 PM

I was just curios to find out how holding the brake pedal down could lock the clutch...they must have your brake stopping the bike at the clutch housing also...

gburkart 05-30-2015 08:51 PM

no,the weight of me on the bike/brake,just kept the back tire from spiningg or allowing the belt to move.i had the tranny in 4th gear.but im new at this so maybe i just got lucky?lol

Shovel52 05-30-2015 09:30 PM

Now I remember..I couldn't do that by myself...... but they do have bikes now that they are braking at the clutch housing..pretty cool concept...but probably look gaudy on a custom......

Tortolabob2 05-31-2015 07:40 AM

Just use an impact gun to knock it loose. Reinstalling should be done manually with torque wrench though.

gburkart 05-31-2015 10:20 AM

well,i am afraid to say even after the clutch is back in,i still cannot lock the motor from turning over to get the nut loose.in what way can the belt be locked to remove it?.......

Captain America 05-31-2015 10:53 AM

It probably has lochtite on it, heat it up a little, if you smell lochtite heat it some more and hit it with the impact. There's lot's of ways to hold the pulley but since most guys use red lochtite on that nut you'll need heat to get the nut to move.

clspht 05-31-2015 10:56 AM

Rectangular steel plate... 2 1/2" wide x 8" long by 1/4" thick...plus the heat

gburkart 05-31-2015 12:11 PM

ok,where and how do i use the steel plate?

Captain America 05-31-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gburkart (Post 1261141)
ok,where and how do i use the steel plate?

Here' s one on a Sportster but the theory is the same...
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...procketNut.jpg

ecir45 05-31-2015 03:05 PM

That bitch is tight. I used a 3/4 ratchet with a 2' foot pipe on the end of the ratchet to get mine off and it was still a bitch. If you don't have anything like above to lock the pulley it would be useless. I would try a 3/4 impact if you can get your hands on one.