Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
"Not the Normal" builds, from WCC
Last Post: ->Bullet<-
Posted On: Today
Replies: 19,319
Views: 5,531,884
establishing a rivalry amongst the NFC's elite
Last Post: inscrivi
Posted On: Today
Replies: 0
Views: 9
cfl single downtube chopper
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 01-15-2020
Replies: 16
Views: 401
5 What size of wheels and tires for a CFL
Last Post: Spade115
Replies: 11
Views: 1,430
Vertical stretch
Last Post: riverratba
Replies: 5
Views: 200
More...
Old 05-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Planning my first build

Hello everyone-

I am new to the forum. My very first build is in the beginning planning stages. I am, realistically, giving my self a couple of years to finish this. I do not have any motorcycle experience, but while a completely different beast, I have built several guitars and amplifiers in the past, and believe that this is something that I can do.

I plan on building a killer old school bobber. I will either use a kraft tech or a thompson choppers frame for the build.

My question, and really the final details that need to be planned is this: Tire size.

I originally really dug the Sucker Punch Sally 66 bobber with the 180 front and rear tires. Since then, I have discovered another custom build with a 240 rear and a 160 front.

What will the pros and cons of each be? Would the 240 rear tire make it sluggish and slow to respond? Which would be a better option? I tend to ride decently hard, but have no false aspirations of a bobber handling like a sport bike, but would like it to maneuver fairly easily, as there are some nice winding country roads here in TN that I enjoy riding,

Aesthetically, I like both, but this is very much going to be a performance based build.

Thank you all very much for your time and advice.

Logan Thompson
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Just remember that the larger the tire on the back, the stiffer it's going to be in a turn because it is flatter....It's not bad though it just doesn't have that responsive turn feel to it..My self I have a 250 on the back and wouldn't mind a 300..but that's a whole different setup and expensive however if you are going to chop...the big tire is the way to go..others might disagree.

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 05-24-2015 at 05:03 PM..
Old 05-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thank you, Shovel. I should also add that I am a pretty hefty dude at 220 lbs and 6'.

this is the 240 bobber that I'd mentioned, and is nearly perfect... just needs a kick starter.

Logan
Old 05-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks, Shovel. I should also add that I am a pretty hefty dude at 6' and 220 lbs. I don't know how much I should take that into consideration.

This is the 240 bobber in question. It is nearly perfect, just needs a kickstart.

Logan
Old 05-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1942 Harley 45 Magnum
Not Ranked     
if ya wan't an ''old school bobber'' you DON'T want to go for a rear tyre much bigger than a 130x90x16...... if you want to build a modern ''factory'' type custom then a fat rear tyre seems to be the standard.... ya gotta decide what style you want to build as the basics donate the end product....
what motor do you want?...knuckle, pan,shovel,evo,twincam??...what trans and primary? frame style? pro street, cfl,std rigid,soft tail.... if you want ''old school'' i'd say buy and old Harley (cheap) take it apart and build it up from the ground up...you will learn a shit load, make some mistakes and some great advances...if ya want a credit card/fat book factory ''custom'' it's a diferant story....
I'm old fashioned and in my book Harley stopped building bikes in 1984 but each to their own... decide what ya want and go for it fella... it'll be great fun and heart ache all at the same time...
Old 05-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
And don't forget that you can buy almost exactly what you are looking for a whole lot cheaper than you can build..and I am talking 50% cheaper if you will keep and eye out ..places like Craigs list..People are starving to death today in this economy and with low interest rates, they are getting themselves in trouble...You can save them...Change it up to your likeing...if they ask ..you bought it and modified it..it's yours.. sell the old parts on ebay....It took me over two years ..closer to three to build the Shovelhead above because it is homemade but honestly,, it is not fun with a project that drags out way beyond your projected, miscalculated time estimate.. and nothing to ride..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 05-24-2015 at 06:21 PM..
Old 05-24-2015, 06:22 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks for the reply, Magnum.
I guess if you put it that way, it will be a modern style bobber with fat tires. I really don't want to look like a gorilla riding a kids bike, so at my size, I feel like heftier parts will look better on me. To answer the rest of your questions, Motor: Evo (Ultima El Brute series for maximum (and outrageous) performance), Trans: probably also Ultima. RSD (to accommodate for the large rear tire) kick start. Primary: 2" open primary (likely also ultima). Frame: Rigid.

I posted a photo of the bobber that created this spark for me, however, it is awaiting moderator approval. You can just run a google search for "Bobber Ed" and it will be the first one.

Thanks,
Logan
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
I like the idea of a short wheel base bobber , small , 16" rims, tall , fat looking but not truly fat tires. Front and rear 180 sounds cool. My last 2 bobbers have 180/ 140 and 130/130 tires.
Never again I go beyond 200...

Identical wheels look cool on bobbers. I think equal tires lean better - the same radius.

I think skinny 21 wheels with 90 " bicycle tires" are not practical( especially when paired with 250+ rear). Funny, we expect 2/3 of braking job be done by front wheel, yet we do not give it enough contact patch...my long chopper has huge front 6 piston dual brakes and front tire is bigger than usual on a chopper, 120, and still, if sudden braking- it might ( and have) slide.
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech FL 2014/2019 bobber
Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I am still having a hard time visualizing stretch and rake. If I had to guess, I would say this is on the 34* rake/ 2" down tube stretch kraft tech frame.

http://www.malibumotorcycleworks.com...Bobber-008.jpg

sound about right?

Logan
Old 05-26-2015, 09:38 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Pro street 121" TP and 100" rigid Shovel
Not Ranked     
I have the wheels and tires off this bike for sale. Been prepped and wrapped for long term storage and I've decided to let them go very reasonable priced. Spun alum fatbob style. Rear is 230 mm, I can unwrap and measure front if you're interested

(2003_0101bikes0005_zpscs5ujwxn.jpg Photo by tortolabob2 | Photobucket
Old 05-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005-2012 Exile Cycle
Not Ranked     
Check out Exile Cycles.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo33 View Post
Hello everyone-

I am new to the forum. My very first build is in the beginning planning stages. I am, realistically, giving my self a couple of years to finish this. I do not have any motorcycle experience, but while a completely different beast, I have built several guitars and amplifiers in the past, and believe that this is something that I can do.

I plan on building a killer old school bobber. I will either use a kraft tech or a thompson choppers frame for the build.

My question, and really the final details that need to be planned is this: Tire size.

I originally really dug the Sucker Punch Sally 66 bobber with the 180 front and rear tires. Since then, I have discovered another custom build with a 240 rear and a 160 front.

What will the pros and cons of each be? Would the 240 rear tire make it sluggish and slow to respond? Which would be a better option? I tend to ride decently hard, but have no false aspirations of a bobber handling like a sport bike, but would like it to maneuver fairly easily, as there are some nice winding country roads here in TN that I enjoy riding,

Aesthetically, I like both, but this is very much going to be a performance based build.

Thank you all very much for your time and advice.

Logan Thompson
Try jireh cycle 877-681-0448 for all your needs Good luck Marty
Old 07-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Probably the most important thing anyone can stress to you is research, research, research.

Changing your mind about things can get fucking expensive. Take it from a guy who's changed his mind about five different times during his build. Ironically enough the look that I've finally settled on is exactly the same look I had started with five years ago. If I had stuck with my original vision I estimate I would have saved myself at least $10,000 in losses and my bike would be running by now.

Couple other thoughts...

Genuine old shool look, definitely no tires wider than a 130.

Plenty of big guys ride old school bikes with those kind of tires (130 or even skinnier) and don't necessarily look bad. It's all about making sure everything on the bike flows.

An unfinished bike project will save you a lot of time and money in the long run. Building a bike from scratch is more expensive and time consuming. Unless you don't mind a long term project.

I'm also not sure if anyone makes a RSD (right side drive) transmission with a kicker. I haven't seen one anyway. They do make plenty of 6-speed LSD units with a kicker though if you don't mind running a skinnier tire than a 240 in the back.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
I was thinking too, I don,t believe RSD is even possible with kickstart...
I think , if the functionality of a long fork is arguable, there,s nothing functional about huge rear tires- desire to have one is nothing but immature overcompensation.
Thank god I outgrew that phase. ( almost....I do like to show off on my 300, but the bike is exceptionally comfortable)
To me, the classic bobber look with tiny rake and fork, 16 " rims and tall side wall tires, retro looking, is the most appealing look.
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech FL 2014/2019 bobber

Last edited by STEINBVG; 07-02-2015 at 08:48 AM..