Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
TP engineering 107
Last Post: vin1800
Posted On: Today
Replies: 0
Views: 6
NEW YORK FREEDOM RIDER NEWS- 2/21/20 - motorcycle related updates
Last Post: karen
Posted On: Yesterday
Views: 58
Registering a Special Construction bike in California
Last Post: Spartacus
Posted On: 02-20-2020
Replies: 1
Views: 180
Not new but its been forever ago
Posted On: 02-19-2020
Replies: 3
Views: 608
Starter torque dpecs
Posted On: 02-19-2020
Views: 83
More...
Old 05-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2007 Big Bear Chopper DA prostreet
Not Ranked     
Oil Leak problems

Ok. Here is my problem. I have had oil leaking problems from my air filter breather adapter for years. The person put the wrong adapter on and opened the holes to get it to fit. So this year I bought the correct adapter, had to make my own bolts to mount the adapter to the engine. Seems like they would have more flow than the ones D&M gave me. I thought everything was great. Bike seemed to run better. So I went for a 50 mile ride today and got home and noticed oil all over the bottom of the motor where the cylinders meet. But oil is everywhere, what a mess. It now looks like the oil is coming out of the crank case breather that I mount in that area. So now with the air breather adapter correct and a tight fit with no air leaks, is there too much crank case pressure and pushing the oil out the filter? How do I fix the problem?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Yes there is a thread here just for that problem...seems that a lot of v twins have that problem..You want to vent the cases by opening one of the case plugs below your oil pump and
inset a fitting...I used a quick disconnect for an air chuck....run a hose down and placed a filter on the end of it...I t will amaze you .... search the thread and you will find pictures..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 05-23-2015, 07:51 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I spent An hour or so reading about crank case vents and breather vents. Some say use one and not the other. Some have both. Mine has both. The only thing I found is that my head is spinning.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yes I have read the same thing..But when you find that a motor is blowing oil out of the heads..base gaskets..valve cover gaskets..and then you vent it and it stops....then I would be reluctant to believe anyone that says you don't need it even the manufacturer...

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 05-24-2015, 03:14 AM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Oil coming from your breather vents is a normal function of V Twin breathing. If oil is NOT coming out of your breathers - then you have a problem.

Excessive oil coming out of the breathers CAN indicate a problem, but many people mistake normal oil blowby from the breathers as excessive . A couple tablespoons of oil on the ground and some oil on the bottom of your frame rails from the breather vent lines after a good ride is totally normal.

Just like you, your motor needs to breathe. And the better that it can breathe, the better it's gonna like it. So vent both the heads and the crankcase if you can.

And your motor likes to run on air and fuel - not air, fuel, and oil. So don't vent into the intake. Run your vent lines out the bottom of the bike, and put the oil on the ground where it belongs (away from the rear tire).

Filters on your breather vent lines don't do anything except to serve as a puke can to collect the oil, then drip it all over your bike. They need to be cleaned, and they're a PITA to clean, and they don't filter anything because no air or anything else is gonna get sucked into your motor through the breather vents

The only place any air is gonna get sucked into your motor is through the intake. So that's the only place you need (or want) a filter

"Hula Baby"

Last edited by Merlin Hawaii; 05-24-2015 at 03:33 AM..
Old 05-24-2015, 06:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Hawaii View Post
Oil coming from your breather vents is a normal function of V Twin breathing. If oil is NOT coming out of your breathers - then you have a problem.

Excessive oil coming out of the breathers CAN indicate a problem, but many people mistake normal oil blowby from the breathers as excessive . A couple tablespoons of oil on the ground and some oil on the bottom of your frame rails from the breather vent lines after a good ride is totally normal.

Just like you, your motor needs to breathe. And the better that it can breathe, the better it's gonna like it. So vent both the heads and the crankcase if you can.

And your motor likes to run on air and fuel - not air, fuel, and oil. So don't vent into the intake. Run your vent lines out the bottom of the bike, and put the oil on the ground where it belongs (away from the rear tire).

Filters on your breather vent lines don't do anything except to serve as a puke can to collect the oil, then drip it all over your bike. They need to be cleaned, and they're a PITA to clean, and they don't filter anything because no air or anything else is gonna get sucked into your motor through the breather vents

The only place any air is gonna get sucked into your motor is through the intake. So that's the only place you need (or want) a filter

Agree.
I ran the crankcase vent free of filter, just a foot hose attached to the fitting, but I face it up attached to the seat post of the frame. No oil spits out, just hot air pulses. Perhaps the mist just returns back by gravity?
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech FL 2014/2019 bobber
Old 05-24-2015, 01:14 PM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEINBVG View Post
Agree.
I ran the crankcase vent free of filter, just a foot hose attached to the fitting, but I face it up attached to the seat post of the frame. No oil spits out, just hot air pulses. Perhaps the mist just returns back by gravity?
What comes out of the breather vents is a mixture of highly corrosives gases and oil contaminated by the combustion process.

I like to get it out of the motor and away from the bike.

And I'm certainly not gonna put it back into the intake and run it through the motor again, which is what most people do when the vent their breathers to the carb

"Hula Baby"

Last edited by Merlin Hawaii; 05-24-2015 at 07:39 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Well the breather adapter/carb support has the breather built into it and runs back into the intake. I just think the holes in it are too small which is causing pressure build up. The crank case has a hose going to a filter for looks. I am thinking about putting a set of these on the bike to let more air out of the heads. There are spacers on my bike where the breather adapter is mounted to the heads. I think I can take my spacers out and insert these. I am going to pull the plug on the bottom of the motor and see how much oil is in there.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
That is a good idea..I have read about people actually drilling out the breather holes in the heads and curing that problem..I don't think I would tackle that procedure..you said that you have both ..crankcase and heads breathing and still having oil problems..thats strange..your sure you crankcase vent is open and free and not stopped up..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 05-24-2015, 03:44 PM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebudd View Post

Before we go any further, you have to tell us what motor you have.

If you have an S&S Super Sidewinder series motor, or an Evo, or most other aftermarket Evo style head breathing motors, those chrome breather filters will work fine. They're shiny and look cool and keep the blowby out of your intake (I have something similar on one of my bikes) - but they're not gonna let your motor breathe any better than a simple rubber hose to the ground.

And you're gonna have to periodically clean them, or they'll drip oil on the side of your motor. And you're gonna have to tape them up when you wash the bike, otherwise water is gonna get in there and mix with the oil, and then you've got a nice mix of oil and water to drip on the side of your bike

But all of this is moot if you have a S&S Super Sidewinder Plus motor (111", 117", 124") which has a completely different head breathing system, and you cant use those external breather filters

"Hula Baby"

Last edited by Merlin Hawaii; 05-24-2015 at 03:53 PM..
Old 05-24-2015, 04:44 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ok motor is a n S&S on a 07 Big Bear Chopper. Crank case filter is not clogged. Removed it today and cleaned it out. Unable to drill out the adapter holes, unable to get to them.
Just seems strange that I change the adapter to a new correct one, and this problem starts.
If those oil canisters will take up the space of the spacers I have on the bike now I will use them.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:10 PM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebudd View Post
If those oil canisters will take up the space of the spacers I have on the bike now I will use them.

Look on the cylinders and see if it says "Super Sidewinder" or "Super Sidewinder Plus"

If it says SS+, you won't be able to use those breather filters

"Hula Baby"

Last edited by Merlin Hawaii; 05-24-2015 at 06:14 PM..
Old 05-24-2015, 06:37 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
No where does it say sidewinder or plus. It only states Super Stock.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:49 PM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
OK, the "Super Stock" are S&S's smaller Evo style motors - 88" or 96"

They have a standard Evo head breathing system - so you can use those breather filters if you want

"Hula Baby"
Old 05-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Hawaii View Post
What comes out of the breather vents is a mixture of highly corrosives gases and oil contaminated by the combustion process.

I like to get it out of the motor and away from the bike.

And I'm certainly not gonna put into the intake and run it through the motor again, which is what most people do when the vent their breathers to the carb
My bikes are painted with wd40
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech FL 2014/2019 bobber