Club Chopper Forums

Club Chopper Forums (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   oil pressure issues (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/shop-talk/111810-oil-pressure-issues.html)

highpockets 05-15-2015 10:38 PM

oil pressure issues

I tried the search feature but apparently am not smart enough to get it to work.
I got this bike in a trade and did not much more than hear it run. so I know nothing about it. supposed to have less than 2000 miles on it.
pressure comes up to 20 or so when I start it but in just a few seconds it drops to nothing. even when up to hiway revs. pumps up to 10 or so in just a few cranks if I just crank it and don't try to start it. It has a new gauge on it. I changed the oil and filter and cleaned the witch's hat. It is a 100 inch Revtech.
I did a google search and the first search result was saying that the pump usually dosnt go bad, that the spring in the pressure relief valve is usually the problem. I did not dig through all the other results. I knew somebody here could help and I could ask questions instead of just reading.

STEINBVG 05-16-2015 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpockets (Post 1260521)
I tried the search feature but apparently am not smart enough to get it to work.
I got this bike in a trade and did not much more than hear it run. so I know nothing about it. supposed to have less than 2000 miles on it.
pressure comes up to 20 or so when I start it but in just a few seconds it drops to nothing. even when up to hiway revs. pumps up to 10 or so in just a few cranks if I just crank it and don't try to start it. It has a new gauge on it. I changed the oil and filter and cleaned the witch's hat. It is a 100 inch Revtech.
I did a google search and the first search result was saying that the pump usually dosnt go bad, that the spring in the pressure relief valve is usually the problem. I did not dig through all the other results. I knew somebody here could help and I could ask questions instead of just reading.

Oil lines routed correctly? Oil line that goes into the filter has to enter into it,s center nipple and comes out from the outside nipple??? The filter is one directional.

Assuming the oil gauge is correct. ( I personally Never had use for them, just an idiot light which comes with the engines. in the past in my early builds I would also visually check if the oil returns to the oil tank looking in with a flash light. )

And one more thing .Have you primed the oil pump?

highpockets 05-16-2015 09:05 AM

have not primed the pump. if it has pressure to begin with would it still need primed? have to look and see how to do that. And will have to check the lines to the filter. what about what I seen about shimming, or getting a different spring? would it act that way or just lose pressure when warm? Thanks

Captain America 05-16-2015 01:51 PM

Because you haven't said anything about valve train noise I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your oil pressure is fine. Check for oil returning to the tank and then check pressure with a known good gauge, I'm not a fan of gauges on these bikes.

highpockets 05-19-2015 07:45 PM

have plenty of pressure now. holds 10 lbs warm at idle. was obstruction over the outlet in the tank. now if it is not hurt from low or no pressure. It does have some valve train noise, or clatter. like a solid lifter car. but here again I don't know what it is supposed to sound like. so will have to get someone to listen and give their opinion. otherwise I guess I just have to wait and see if it hangs together. Still not 100% sure on the in and out on the filter. I googled it and saw it both ways. majority have the return to tank coming out the center/outside nipple. in going in the back nipple.

highpockets 05-19-2015 07:47 PM

oh..and STEINBVG, I finally did get some pics up. in gallery and show us your bike thread

STEINBVG 05-20-2015 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpockets (Post 1260755)
have plenty of pressure now. Holds 10 lbs warm at idle. Was obstruction over the outlet in the tank. Now if it is not hurt from low or no pressure. It does have some valve train noise, or clatter. Like a solid lifter car. But here again i don't know what it is supposed to sound like. So will have to get someone to listen and give their opinion. Otherwise i guess i just have to wait and see if it hangs together. Still not 100% sure on the in and out on the filter. I googled it and saw it both ways. Majority have the return to tank coming out the center/outside nipple. In going in the back nipple.

ha...glad it worked out. Very frequently the issue is simple. That's why it's a good idea to start trouble shooting with the easiest things first.

As far as noisy lifters, if good-they typically fill up with the oil within a few minutes or miles of operation and you can hear that clicking practically disappearing.

Sometimes, if the pushroads adjusted like for solid lifters[ close to zero lash- so you just turn them with your fingers with slight drag- they have no room to float - so you back off the pushroad a half or a full turn depending upon the manufacturer's threads/ specs and that places the pushroad right in the middle of hydraulic cushion making them very quite.

If i have time, i will post a nice picture of pushroad adjustment made by the guys at s&s and e-mailed to me.

STEINBVG 05-20-2015 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpockets (Post 1260756)
oh..and steinbvg, i finally did get some pics up. In gallery and show us your bike thread

nice. Which of my bikes you're referring to?

marty montag 07-03-2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpockets (Post 1260521)

The oil pump has 2 cap screws on topoutside meters oil to lifters. inside press (spring&ball) try replaceing them, there only a couple bucks at H D Harley Marty