Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
5 Cable/hydraulic front brake setup ??
Last Post: slytat666
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 7
Views: 269
Ultima push rods
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 57
any pics of 10" apes of softail or chopper?
Last Post: dbear
Posted On: 10-20-2017
Replies: 2
Views: 86
84 fxrt upgrade help
Last Post: Spade115
Replies: 4
Views: 167
"Not the Normal" builds, from WCC
Last Post: ->Bullet<-
Replies: 19,269
Views: 4,922,666
More...
Old 05-01-2015, 08:34 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Pop-up gas cap dilemma

When we were putting my bike together years ago, I made the mistake of buying a gas cap on ebay. It was a weld-in pop-up version, surely for a standard Harley size, but the tank/cap went on my metric. The problem that has arisen since last summer, is that it will begin to seep gas out on the low side, letting it run down my high-dollar paint. The only way I've found to avoid this, is to unscrew the cap when I park it for the day, and just set it in the recess to keep out contaminants, without screwing it in. I also pull it off and put it back on whenever I stop for lunch or something while out riding- but even this practice often results in the leaking of fuel when I'm out riding, especially on hot days.
The cap is vented, as I can blow out air through it from the bottom. I figured it was the gasket, so I searched pop-up gas caps on the net, and though the ones from Pro One looked like what I had, so I got a new gasket from them... the problem was that, while the gasket went on the cap fine, when I tried to put it in the tank, it was just barely a few thousandths too big in diameter.
I emailed a photo of the cap to Pro One, and they said it wasn't theirs. They recommended checking with Pat Hotch, so I emailed the photos to him. He, too, said it wasn't his, and when I asked if he had any ideas who might have made it, he said he had no idea- and added that, during the bike boom, companies sprung up all over making knock-offs, and ultimately went out of business after the 2009 crash.
I sent the pics to Custom Chrome, and it isn't theirs, either.
Next, I hit the hardware stores and plumbing supplies. My brother, a foreman at a water treatment plant, said he had a large assortment of gaskets and O-rings at work we could sift through- no luck there. I even contacted a company that custom-makes gaskets to order, measured it with my dial caliper, and got an estimate- $290 for 50 gaskets- the minimum number they can cost effectively make. (Not very cost-effective for me)
Today, I'll be out riding, and plan to take the cap into my local Freedom Cycle outlet- they're well-known for making an effort to drag out what they have to see if it works with your application.
If I strike out there, I'm out of ideas.
Hopefully, there's someone here who knows gas caps and might have a good suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Big Dollar CFL
Not Ranked     
Post a pic and dimensions. I got a couple hundred o rings and would be happy to send one to you. Im not understanding why such a hard time finding the correct oring, they are rubber so you just need to stretch something that's close.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'll get a pic posted after I get home. Actually, it is more of a flat washer style gasket, black rubber. Here are the dimensions:
1.664x1.274x.122
Actually, my brother gave me an O-ring that we stretched a bit, like you said, and so far, today, ( I've been riding all day ) it hasnt seeped out onto the tank like it was- but im afraid it's because it just venting the gases better, and it will run out if i fill it up all the way.
One bone head stunt I did when he built mine, was putting the gas cap on the low side to be "different" – should have been on the high side. I cant fill it as high, and that fat bastard only holds like 2.8 gallons.
I appreciate your offer to help, and as I said, I will get some pics up tonight.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Pop-up gas cap dilemma-img_4765.jpg   Pop-up gas cap dilemma-img_4974.jpg   Pop-up gas cap dilemma-img_4975.jpg  
Old 05-01-2015, 08:35 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
And the original gasket.
Attached Thumbnails
Pop-up gas cap dilemma-img_4976.jpg   Pop-up gas cap dilemma-img_4972.jpg  
Old 05-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Same as mine, and mine does the same thing..but only sloshes out while riding if you over fill...hope we can find something...

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 05-01-2015 at 10:34 PM..
Old 05-01-2015, 11:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hell, worse than that... mine started sputtering one day while I was riding and died. It would start, run a few seconds, and die. Drained the tank and found water in it... then i realized I'd washed it the day before... it leak IN as well as OUT.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:51 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1998 home built,113 s&s
Not Ranked     
i have the same cap.if you guys know how to keep them from rattling when you ride,can you please let me know?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Rattling??..not sure how one could rattle if it is screwed in with threads.........EDIT...I just went out and looked at mine and I do see how it could rattle..however mine does not because it locks tightly....
and I think the reason I don't get the gas seeping out when the bike sits is because of my home made gas gauge.
I have a piece of clear hose running under the tank and up to see the gas level and the valve on the end is letting the pressure out....mine has an o ring gasket...

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 05-02-2015 at 08:30 AM..
Old 05-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
If mine is rattling, I'll never hear it over the motor…
Old 05-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I fixed mine by machining an "o" ring groove in the cap. Choose the right size rubber o-ring to suit.
It doesn't rattle and it doesn't leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Pop-up gas cap dilemma-002-large-.jpg  

Last edited by jedi; 05-02-2015 at 02:58 PM..
Old 05-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I played with mine all day today..and fixed the problem..turns out that I have a pressure problem and not a gasket problem...I cleaned a bunch of crud (ethenol) off of the tank seal and now my cap seals ..but I have a new problem that hit me when I filled up today,,,now if I fill it it on the stand and put the cap on, it blows up through the vent all over the place when I stand the bike up... I ran a hose off of my home made gas gauge as described above and ran it down and under the bike to the back(away from the exhaust) and now if it wants to squirt... it can squirt out onto the ground...at least it's not on my tank....one other thing that I found is if I tighten my cap down until it barely touches the o ring it allows the pressure to escape but is tight enough so that it doesn't slosh out. now I can fill it to the top.

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 05-02-2015 at 04:48 PM..
Old 05-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
By the way, that is an excellent idea Jedi...wonder if it would hold back pressure?

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 05-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
That's one problem we don't have in Oklahoma… With five refineries in our state, we can always find 100% gas.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1998 home built,113 s&s
Not Ranked     
great idea about the o-ring groove,thanks.