Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
"Not the Normal" builds, from WCC
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Posted On: Today
Replies: 19,261
Views: 4,882,442
My trike build is under way
Last Post: christok
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 80
Views: 9,268
Clutch adjustment on BDL
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 7
Views: 75
Wiring a new chopper
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 08-16-2017
Replies: 7
Views: 242
Hawg Halters Forward Controls
Last Post: Brandon5
Posted On: 08-15-2017
Replies: 0
Views: 35
More...
Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2002 custom softail
Not Ranked     
2" ultima open primary clutch hub problem

Hi I have been running into the same issue after replacing mulitple parts.

I have purchased and installed a 2'' ulitma belt drive for an evo 1999 softail, with revtech 5 speed trans. I have installed it and have an issue. The clutch basket wobbles. I thought maybe my trans shaft was bent so I bought a new gear set for my trans. I installed it still wobbles. I then thought maybe its the bearings in the trans so I bought 3 new bearings, still wobbles. Lastly I bought a new clutch hub part number #19, still wobbles. I really canít figure this out. Seem to be something with the clutch hub assembly? Could it be something with the splines of the clutch hub and the splines of the trans shaft?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
1. Does my clutch slip? No.
2. Is it hard to find N? No.

If these are both No, then there is no problem with the clutch. Why? It's designed to slide on this piggyback 5th gear-collar within a mainshaft. I have to separate myself from the mainshaft, but see how I ride on the outside of the mainshaft? I hook myself to the shaft via the small clutch inner bolted to the mainshaft. So when I pull the clutch lever in, the engine and outer clutch still move over that 5th gear collar. That acts both as a bearing for the outer basket it rides over, and it's used as a final gear. So that basket moves as you see it and the springs. plates, pressure plate pulls the big clutch outer towards it.

Look at it like this wear scenario. Could the wear of the plates cause the big outer to move toward the pressure plate or is the pressure plate moving into the outer basket? See how both need to give either way it's so simple a design but complex at the same time.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2015 One Off. 6up 3out, 200MM, 124 ci
Not Ranked     
Good luck. Ultima has went to crap in my opinion.

I had almost the same problem, thought I bent trans mainshaft so I bought a new ultima 6 speed, and the basket wobble was worse than before. Bought a new 2 inch drive and the wobble is still there pretty damn bad and now the belt is way loose. Vibrates like crazy when riding.

Personally, I am done with ultima. Going with Baker and Primo.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'm thinking maybe revtech trans and ultma splines don't mate well together. Maybe I can try changing the trans mainshaft to a Harley shaft. Can anybody confirm that they use the 2 inch belt drive from ultima and have experienced no wobble or vibration from the clutch basket .

thanks
Old 08-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliti View Post
Hi I have been running into the same issue after replacing mulitple parts.

I have purchased and installed a 2'' ulitma belt drive for an evo 1999 softail, with revtech 5 speed trans. I have installed it and have an issue. The clutch basket wobbles. I thought maybe my trans shaft was bent so I bought a new gear set for my trans. I installed it still wobbles. I then thought maybe its the bearings in the trans so I bought 3 new bearings, still wobbles. Lastly I bought a new clutch hub part number #19, still wobbles. I really canít figure this out. Seem to be something with the clutch hub assembly? Could it be something with the splines of the clutch hub and the splines of the trans shaft?

thanks
Is it loose? Or it wobbles while tight?

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber
Old 08-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
I'm thinking maybe revtech trans and ultma splines don't mate well together. Maybe I can try changing the trans mainshaft to a Harley shaft. Can anybody confirm that they use the 2 inch belt drive from ultima and have experienced no wobble or vibration from the clutch basket .

thanks
I have it on 2 bikes, an older version( no inserts) and newer version in a later bike.
Neither is loose or wobbles.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
It's not loose . When rotating the inner hub ( clutch hub) , and the belt is stationary you can see the clutch basket move in and out . It's weird .
Old 08-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 88" ACM Rigid Bobber
Not Ranked     
Is it wobbling(not running true), or is it moving in and out? Do you have the clutch plates and springs installed?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:46 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Look at a shovelhead clutch style:

Instead of memory walking this out, I was thinking shaft out but where was the sprocket? The sprocket is 5th gear so that freewheels. The shaft coming out of the trans has a keyway slot. The part that slides on that shaft is that riveted clutch housing with long bolts and that is the clutch inner.

With the long bolts coming out of it, look at how the fibers are mounted and they stop when lever is pulled in. That big clutch outer now rolls on that clutch inner, so in the middle of all the parts is the bearing cage. This is in between the clutch outer and the clutch inner. Look at how both have a polished finish for the long needle bearings.

Look at the clutch outer and what holds that from sliding either way is the riveted clutch on the carrier, and then the springs that are also used to keep the clutches in so that keeps the clutch outer pressed against the riveted fiber plate or that carrier being the clutch inner.

The question is, 'My wobble happens when I pull the clutch in."
The questions are still not answered are those no answers and I am not the one chasing my tail looking at a bunch of parts that do exactly that. What page are we on? When the clutch lever is let out and wears the back of that riveted clutch, it [the clutch outer] stills moves back or slides on that roller cage. Are we on the same page with the piggy style sprocket is free to roll or not, to clutch outer does float or wobble, the crank and clutch outer never stop but run together as one? Got that design figured out? Float is float or wobble.

The next thing is I want a belt so tight I'm this much more of burning out the bearings.

The next thing is I am like a chain. If you tooth me out of phase as I was once new, do not start looking for vibration, especially if you haven't timed-back-in a chain or belt. Just one more variable I stay up on as I do not want to cause a new wear and call it vibration induced. Yours I can't control so there goes the vibe, waa-waa, funny noise is as a possibility!

Where are we at with the NO's or it's back to someone else figuring out whatever makes you want to hear?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
It's not loose . When rotating the inner hub ( clutch hub) , and the belt is stationary you can see the clutch basket move in and out . It's weird .
I wonder if

The bearing between inner and outer hub is junk or it,s set in crooked.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:52 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The wobble happens with the clutch plates installed or not. The two hubs spin true while they're off the bike.
Once the two hubs are installed on the bike that's when you notice a wobble in the outer hub ever so slightly. It's weird , I have suspected the pressed in sealed bearing but since they spin true off the bike, I didn't really pursue that coarse. How can they spin true off the bike and then once on the mainshaft there off?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:32 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
The wobble happens with the clutch plates installed or not. The two hubs spin true while they're off the bike.
Once the two hubs are installed on the bike that's when you notice a wobble in the outer hub ever so slightly. It's weird , I have suspected the pressed in sealed bearing but since they spin true off the bike, I didn't really pursue that coarse. How can they spin true off the bike and then once on the mainshaft there off?
Since the assembly is OK, I would remove the inner hub and install it then put a dial indicator on it and see what's really happening. It could be that the machining on the outer surface isn't perfect and that's what you're seeing.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
The two hubs spin true while they're off the bike.
Does this guy have me on iggy or is he too stupid i have to call him names to answer two fucking questions that if no, oh, they run true, must be how the springs are not even tension and that throws the wobble at it. But nooooooooooooo.

So I'm done with this clown. You guess at it where if you found N like snick... Squid speak is all that's left here so I am out of here for this round.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Bad Dog chopper
Not Ranked     
I think he needs a priest, a bible and a chicken.... Just a thought....

Sometimes my chop starts and sometimes it don't. Sometimes it rolls and sometimes it don't. Sometimes it starts but doesn't roll and other times it rolls and doesn't start.

Now I'm no rocket sicencesits but... it seems the lower the volume in the Jack Daniels bottle the less things happen... Do ya think it's my bearings?

Last edited by BadDawg; 08-31-2014 at 08:16 PM..
Old 09-01-2014, 06:49 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Here's what I'm suggesting, install the hub by itself and check for the wobble, add the basket and check, install the clutch and check, install the belt and check again. Using this method of doing one thing at a time will reveal the cause of your issue and whether you need to address it at all.