Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Ultima 6 speed RSD problems
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 97
New Guy from West Chicagoland
Replies: 3
Views: 41
2 Throttle Tamer?
Replies: 1
Views: 34
14 Chopper of the month winner, May 2012
Replies: 53
Views: 12,220
Another broad for the stable.
Replies: 3
Views: 91
More...
Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2015 One Off. 6up 3out, 200MM, 124 ci
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
Here's what I'm suggesting, install the hub by itself and check for the wobble, add the basket and check, install the clutch and check, install the belt and check again. Using this method of doing one thing at a time will reveal the cause of your issue and whether you need to address it at all.
I went through all this with mine also. Pretty sure it has something to do with the inner hub shaft that the big bearing for the outer hub rides on. or the splines on the inner hub.

Personally, I dont think ultima does much QC anymore.

Last edited by jgs348; 09-04-2014 at 06:24 PM..
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2002 custom softail
Not Ranked     
Thank you all for your help. Im currently having a shop put a dial on it to see if the parts are true or not.

I will post when I find something.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:10 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Did you ever figure this out? I've got the same issue with mine, clutch hub nut is tight and there is slight play in the basket. The main problem is about .030 wobble that is very visible on the entire assembly.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaBobber18 View Post
Did you ever figure this out? I've got the same issue with mine, clutch hub nut is tight and there is slight play in the basket. The main problem is about .030 wobble that is very visible on the entire assembly.
1/32" ??? I wonder how much that is a problem? And is it possible to get that dead zero? Does it have to be?
I,m not sure I have dead zero on this.

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber
Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
It seems like alot by eye, but when i put the indicator on the ring gear and outer flat spot of the clutch basket it was actually at .025 . I guess i'll just wait till final assembly and roll with it. Just doesn't look right.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Harley 89 Heritage 127 ultima
Not Ranked     
Mine has a wobble. It's the clutch plates. They heat up n warp a bit . Then it wobbles. But it's only when the lever is pulled in . Something has to give n it's the hub bearing . But this bearing only works when the clutch lever is pulled in. If it rides good n works properly live with it n enjoy. Mine had about 2 mill wobble .
Old 05-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Solutions to apparently loose clutch hubs....I think...

For a while I have been observing this complaint about wobbling of the Ultima basket.
I don,t see much wobble on any of mine, perhaps I am blind.

But there,s an issue of not just Ultima but other primaries as well. I have modified Harley 1994 hub run on open primary chain.
That hub and Ultima hub get ( or start to be ) loose no matter how well you tighten the mainshaft nut. If I hold the whole basket with my hands and move it sideways there,s a bit of movement on the shaft.
There,s an inherited problem in the design. There,s a washer in the central hub( Ultima, Harley) that is fixed loosely to the hub by a snap ring of sorts. The nut tightens against that washer which unfortunately stops at the end of thread and where the splines start. Hower the splines on the main shaft and the hub are not tight in tolerance, moreover, the fixed washer doesn,t allow the hub to go all the way to the tapered ending of the splines. So the hub is loose on the back and only held by tightened on the front nut . And the washer is aalso loose behind the snap ring....so the sum of all of that- loose or easily turning loose structure.

Today I came up with 2 solutions of this problem as I believe.
1) remove the fucking snap ring, out under the existing washer add another with the same OD, but the ID allows to pass the splines.( I didn,t measure)
Now tightening the nut - these 2 washers will press the hub all the way towards the end of splines effectively locking it solid.the only problem- the hub seems a bit of soft material, might be squired to tight on the splines. Might be difficult to remove afterwards. I would use some antiseaze...or wheel greese on the splines.

Another option.
2)keep the snap ring. Make an about 1/4 " thick or so( again I didn,t measure- I had one) spacer that goes first on the mainshaft against the primary bearing( or even better, against the chamfered step on the mainshaft if somebody is concerned about sideway pressure on the bearing) and against the back of the the hub. It moves the hub slightly, just a hair out. It allows the snap ringed washer not to bottom out against the splined step of the mainshaft , but instead effectively compresses the hub against that improvised spacer. Now hub is supported again on both sides making it solid. Easy to remove the hub afterwards.

I had 2 strange spacers that came hanging with a wire on the top of my repop 1936 springer front ends( had no clue what they are for, but they fit perfect)

I went with 2d option way on my Ultima today. Solid.
If I have enough strength and patience tomorrow, I will make pictures of what I,m talking about.

Tomorrow will make my Harley open chain setup tight as well- seems also a bit loose or got loose( cause I had shaken it before and I think it was solid).( no, the nut is tight!!!)

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber
Old 07-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I had the same problem. It ended up being a outer pressure plate that was drilled off center. One way to find out is see if the adjustment nut is wobbling. If it is the adjustment nut is off it is pushing the whole assembly off center. The splines on the basket mating with the input shaft all have some play allowing for the assembly to wobble. Call Ultima (Midwest) and ask them to send you a pressure plate. You will need to remove everything and re-torque everything but this should take care of it. These assemblies are made in China and have very lose tolerances that create these issues. Can't ask for much when you are only paying $750.00 instead of 2K for a good quality drive. BDL or Baker build the best drives. The rest are cheap imitations.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ultima 2 inch drive Clutch drum wobble

I had the same issue. The outer clutch cover has the adjustment screw drilled off center. Once this is replaced it will be better but you should just replace the drum and cover assy. since having this off center causes the drum damage too.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
welcome to Ultima! I had a small wobble on my 3.35" primary. It was due to the splines on output shaft and clutch basket a wee bit loose. I put some spline repair goop on it and had to put an output bearing support cage on it. It looks like shit now with that apparatus, but it doesn't wobble anymore.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:20 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Did you fix problem?

Last edited by CIC2016; 04-02-2017 at 02:22 PM..
Old 04-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEINBVG View Post
I have it on 2 bikes, an older version( no inserts) and newer version in a later bike.
Neither is loose or wobbles.

Hey not to high jack this thread but what kind of forks/frontend you running on this bike STEINBVG?