Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Got myself another old timer
Last Post: Pugwash
Posted On: Today
Replies: 0
Views: 15
Help with frame Identification, and TP Engineering Carb.
Last Post: northup87
Views: 19
14 Chopper of the Month entries for Oct 2014
Last Post: Mr Scary
Views: 18
Living Room Build
Last Post: CloudDiver
Replies: 451
Views: 73,404
Throttle cable
Last Post: STEINBVG
Replies: 6
Views: 78
More...
Old 10-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom Shovelhead Barhopper, BBC Venom
Not Ranked     
BDL -Noisy Clutch!!! Why

Why are the Clutches on BDL drives so noisy when they are disengaged?

I'm putting one in my Venom and would to fix it before I finish the bike.

If there is a way to quiet them ???
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Hardcore II, 98 FLHTPI, CFL Started
Send a message via Yahoo to superjet
Not Ranked     
It is the way dry clutches are. Go check out a stock Ducatti. They have the same rattle.

Embrace the rattle.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I would rather "erase" the rattle.

I've got a Barnett clutch on my old Shovelhead.

It's dry with a belt drive and it's a lot quieter.
Although it does make other cement mixer noises, but that's another story...
Old 10-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: many
Not Ranked     
well we all realize that running an open belt drive primary (assumming thats what ur talkin about), that the clutch basket is no longer encased in the outer primary cover which subdued alot of noise............i just assembled bdl's new "quiet clutch pack (for prior mentioned complaints), it came assembled but that didnt fly, i had to see what was "quiet" about them. the friction plates are pretty much the same as all others, the steel plates are designed slightly different but the biggest change i saw was the design of the pressure plate. it is suppose to control the steels better on disengagement so its not so noisy. i havnt been able to run it yet(prob this weekend) to see how much a change there is, i'll let ya know.
also a noisy clutch is sometimes an indicator of a bad spring plate. within the clutch basket among the steel plates (usually in the middle of the pack), is a different looking steel plate. looks like 2 steel plates riveted together. if that plate has any movement at all between the 2 it is bad and must be replaced. also replace the other steels when replacing the spring plate.
hope this helps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,chad aa/mc's
Old 10-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Retired Super Mod
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Diamond Chassis, Accurate Eng. Pan
Send a message via AIM to bigazzgunz Send a message via Yahoo to bigazzgunz
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by ARCH ANGEL M.C.
well we all realize that running an open belt drive primary (assumming thats what ur talkin about), that the clutch basket is no longer encased in the outer primary cover which subdued alot of noise............i just assembled bdl's new "quiet clutch pack (for prior mentioned complaints), it came assembled but that didnt fly, i had to see what was "quiet" about them. the friction plates are pretty much the same as all others, the steel plates are designed slightly different but the biggest change i saw was the design of the pressure plate. it is suppose to control the steels better on disengagement so its not so noisy. i havnt been able to run it yet(prob this weekend) to see how much a change there is, i'll let ya know.
also a noisy clutch is sometimes an indicator of a bad spring plate. within the clutch basket among the steel plates (usually in the middle of the pack), is a different looking steel plate. looks like 2 steel plates riveted together. if that plate has any movement at all between the 2 it is bad and must be replaced. also replace the other steels when replacing the spring plate.
hope this helps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,chad aa/mc's
Good info. Keep us posted. I'd like to hear more about the quiet clutch pack!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2004, 11:22 PM
CC Member/Builder
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03' & "05 Kirks Customs Rigids, '76 XLCH
Not Ranked     
I have built 2 chops using BDL's, they both have had the quite clutch pack, it is quieter than most but still makes noise, Live with it! for my money a BDL beltdrive is the only way to go, 1/3 the price of a primo, bout the same as a regular primary, less parts than a regular primary, better hookup, easier to work on, ever had to pull a standard primary and put it back together, oil, mess, about 4 hours, who needs it. It is a dry clutch, also behind your clutch pack is what is now your compensating sprocket, know how an impact wrench works? well that's what it is! that's what is making all that racket. As your friction plates wear it will increase in noise a bit cause it has more slack, if you run all 9 springs like I do, it helps not only with noise but doesn't wear out your plates as fast cause they ain't slippin. Plus, it's just plain cool!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:15 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks for the input.

With my Shovel, each steel plate has small spring loaded balls that bear against the basket rib, taking up all the lash.

I was wondering if that (plate rattle) was the same reason for the noise and if there were any known fixes.

Clutch is brand new, so I doubt the spring plates have come apart, However I will check...

Thanks
Old 10-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 08 R.T. Dyna Fat Ass Chopper,
Not Ranked     
My clutch doesn't make a rattle its more of a knock. With the motor stopped if I grab the spring plate and just rock it back and forth, that is the noise that it makes at idle. It is the plates hitting the pins. I have replaced the original clutch pack that came with the kit with their" new" clutch and there is no difference in the two as far as that knocking sound . Other BDL's that I have heard all have that traditional open belt sound, I have decided to just live with it because nobody seems to be able to help me out. Thunder
Old 10-06-2004, 10:40 AM
CC Member/Builder
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03' & "05 Kirks Customs Rigids, '76 XLCH
Not Ranked     
Quote:
also behind your clutch pack is what is now your compensating sprocket, know how an impact wrench works? well that's what it is! that's what is making all that racket.
Your clutch pack and drum is one geat big hammer, it takes too long to explain. You no longer have a compensating sprocket as part of your motor pulley. It is part of your clutch hub now, that means for every revolution of the motor the clutch hub only makes part of a revolution because it is not a direct lockup on the trans shaft . A V-twin motor has a natural stutter, miss, if you had a clucth hub directly locked up to the motor you would have direct drive, this hub freewheels inside to let the motor do its thing at idle, if it didn't shit would break!, that knock is being created because the unit is doing exactlay what it is supposed to be doing acting like an impact wrench!!!!!!! live with it! or change it to the mess of a closed primary.