Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: chopperfugger
Posted On: Today
Replies: 31
Views: 6,197
Oil vs fuel vs transmission line?
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 5
Views: 95
99 brake caliper on a 2000 fork?
Last Post: masterjedifocus
Posted On: 09-17-2019
Replies: 2
Views: 141
return throttle cable
Posted On: 09-17-2019
Replies: 2
Views: 100
Tallest engine in the frame?
Posted On: 09-15-2019
Replies: 58
Views: 9,365
More...
Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Best starter for a ss 124.

I can have my old one rebuilt or just buy a new one done with upgrades. What one's would you suggest for this? Or is it just a waste just have my old one gone thrue? Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1996 Electra Glide 127 EVO
Not Ranked     
I just did the same thing. I had a 2.0 go bad new starter clutch 89$ (all balls)
Brand new starter (thundervolt) 1.75 push button 120$ to my door with 1 yr warranty. So I just got the starter. The other question is why did yr starter go bad in the first place? are you running good high quality battery cables? or at least 2 negatives (good ground) starter relay... timing on spot? While yr in there replacing the starter look at the starter gear closely and the gear on the clutch pack. Make sure you havnt lost any "teeth" .
Old 01-16-2014, 06:23 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Pro street 121" TP and 100" rigid Shovel
Not Ranked     
A regular All Balls 1.4kw will work just fine...you have compression releases, just use them and you'll be ok.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
thanks guys. Yes Miine has the elct compression releases.Not sure why the starter failed just would not kick in.The end of the gear was a little fried. I bought the bike 6 years ago and it has allways seem to have had a problum.I now have the time to deal with it and figure it out. so part of me would like to send the starter out to have a expert look at it so i know what the heck went wrong. my main guess is a bad slionoid. whats a great place to buy a starter?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 custom 127"
Not Ranked     
In your post on bike not starting u ran a jumper wire from the battery to the solenoid terminal and whala the starter cranked over. Right?
Now you have a starter with the gear a bit chewed up. Right?
You can install a new starter BUT you have not corrected the problem that originally caused starter problems which is low voltage going from your starter button to the starter solenoid.
Just hate to see u install a new starter and have problems with it as well.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
You are dead nuts on.it will be a major pain in the ass to run a new wire up the bar to that switch it is something out of james bond.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Maybe I should move the starting button make it shorter
Old 01-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
what I meant to say was BARL you have been dead on wright.Now at this point to keep things simple what about just puting moveing the start button to the starter?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
You could install the starter button anywhere u like. I have seen some installed just under the left hand side of the seat so you can just reach down and hit the button but still operate the throttle ...
Remember depending on how you hook it up you will be bypassing the safety systems such as the neutral gear selector switch and/ or the ignition key switch so so carefully look into it before u dive in..
There are also starters with a manual button right on the starter solenoid but they can be a pain if that is the only way to start it due to location
Glad I could be of some help.
Sorry I don't rebuild starters or generally take on outside work I'm just way to busy ....still trying to finish my own build..but glad fo give advice where I can.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Guys like you make the world go around on wheels thanks for the great help. you make some great points. sounds good. What do you think would be the best starter to go with i only had room for a braille b14115 540 cranking amps battery.i was talking with one of the guys at scooters today trying to figure out the best one to keep the battery in check but still haveing enough power to start the bike. what do you think ?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I put an ultima thunder fire 2.4kw on my 127 probably a bit overkill but that's just me..I would think a 1.75kw or 2.0kw would be adequate and with compression releases some guys still run a 1.4kw stock starter..
Remember if u upgrade to a larger starter u will want to check for any fittment issues the bigger starters are bigger in phisical size
Old 01-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I like the sound of them did you get yours with the push button opt?Thanks for the info again. The guy at scooters was going to try and figure what size i had. i sent him some picks he said alot of what your saying. alot of guys like the all balls? is there a main reson the ultima is better? It looks like ultima has more choices?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Never used the all balls starter so don't know much about them..I went with ultima because they seem to be the best deal at the time..so far works great. And yea I got it with the push button just in case I ever needed it.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks for all the input.it is nice to have that 2 nd start button.I wish I had that 6 years ago.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by barl View Post
never used the all balls starter so don't know much about them..i went with ultima because they seem to be the best deal at the time..so far works great. And yea i got it with the push button just in case i ever needed it.
what battery do you use?

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber