Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Tallest engine in the frame?
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 59
Views: 9,463
BBC Odometer Cycling
Last Post: golfish
Posted On: 09-21-2019
Replies: 2
Views: 365
return throttle cable
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: 09-20-2019
Replies: 3
Views: 157
99 brake caliper on a 2000 fork?
Last Post: Shovel52
Replies: 4
Views: 206
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Replies: 32
Views: 6,292
More...
Old 09-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
75 ironhead chopper fork question

hello all, i am near the completion of my first chopper build. im just waitng on a few parts. i have a 75' ironhead frame backbone stretched 6'' up 3'' neck is raked 40 deg. well i had bought a DNA wide glide (84-99 style) +2 (24'' forks) & 3 deg trees. it worked well on the stock frame. well now the frame is chopped the forks need to be 28'' or 6 over stock for the bike to sit the way i want it.

i have rebuilt many different forks varying 61 triumph to all types sport bikes (standard & inverted) . i have never done a harley fork before. i am a little confused on using longer tubes. some places i read you can only 2'' max spacer in a longer tube. my DNA forks are currently +2 and i need to lengthen them an additional 4. can i use any regular +6 tube that fits 84-99 wideglide fork & make longer spacers?, or does DNA brand not interchange with other brands etc?

i would normally just order another front end for $500, but a unexpected rebuild of my S&S 74'' motor fried both pistons (from detonation & lean conditions) also had to rebuild my heads, has pretty much left me with no funds left to finish this bike. i am hell bent on riding it before this season is over. the frame sits too low to the ground to keep the +2'' forks i currently have.
any suggestions ?

btw i will make a pic thread when it is back together
75' ironhead S&S 74'' kit .060 pistons. Sifton Titon cams, Ported heads w/ stainless valves, Super E, Bandit machineworks clutch, crane hi-4, stretched frame 6''out & 3''up, 40deg rake. wide glide front end.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
can anyone steer me in the right direction? any input would be appreciated !
75' ironhead S&S 74'' kit .060 pistons. Sifton Titon cams, Ported heads w/ stainless valves, Super E, Bandit machineworks clutch, crane hi-4, stretched frame 6''out & 3''up, 40deg rake. wide glide front end.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Plasterhead
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '98 FXSTB
Not Ranked     
I'm pretty sure that Yes, you can use any 41mm fork tubes, but I'm not sure about the spacer. I don't see why you couldn't just make a longer spacer, but have never had a frontend that long so I don't know. Pro One makes pretty reasonably priced tubes, you might check their website for info if no one else chimes in?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogeyman View Post
I'm pretty sure that Yes, you can use any 41mm fork tubes, but I'm not sure about the spacer. I don't see why you couldn't just make a longer spacer, but have never had a frontend that long so I don't know. Pro One makes pretty reasonably priced tubes, you might check their website for info if no one else chimes in?
thank you sir. i will google pro one see what comes up.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Plasterhead
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Heres a 6+ over tube set Fork Tube Assembly Harley Davidson ..might be a little more than you want to spend, but it's got the internals. John at Scooters Performance (CC Member Pushrod243) can likely get you what you need and might be able to find something cheaper ?

Last edited by Boogeyman; 09-09-2013 at 08:49 PM..
Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
thanks, it looks like those regular style tubes wont work. my upper triple clamp has no hole in the top of the clamp. the top of the fork tube needs to be flat. guess i will keep searching, i have not gotten anywhere trying to call companies who stock dna stuff . not one place has even returned a phone call or email
Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Plasterhead
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Actually, They will work, you just have to take the screw on top off of your DNA tubes and put it on whatever new tubes you go with. I had to do the same thing with my forks. Your flat screw on top probably has two little dimples in it for a spanner type wrench so you can remove them (I hammered two nails in a 2x4 and used that to remove them). I had a set of DNA forks that leaked from day one. Replaced the bushings and seals twice and it still leaked. I bought pro one tubes and mean street lowers and re-used the DNA trees, no more issues...
Old 09-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Plasterhead
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Call this guy tomorrow, He'll be glad to answer any of your questions and may be able to save you a few bucks.

John
Scooters Performance
31615 Long Acre Dr
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
Scooter's Performance
(four0seven)330-2056
Old 09-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Actually, They will work, you just have to take the screw on top off of your DNA tubes and put it on whatever new tubes you go with. I had to do the same thing with my forks. Your flat screw on top probably has two little dimples in it for a spanner type wrench so you can remove them (I hammered two nails in a 2x4 and used that to remove them). I had a set of DNA forks that leaked from day one. Replaced the bushings and seals twice and it still leaked. I bought pro one tubes and mean street lowers and re-used the DNA trees, no more issues...
oh cool. i was thinking that the top caps were part of the internals and could not use the caps off my dna forks on the new tubes.. i must have got lucky with my front end then. it is the only "low end" brand part i put on my bike and it is the only thing i have not had problems with. it actually exceeded my expectations for the price lol

i was also thinking about buying another front end the right size and trying to sell mine. still in good condition i should be able to get at least couple hundred for it.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
ok so the top caps are interchangeable, i see the threads inside the fork. well i considered just buying a new dna frontend and trying to sell the one i have. i would imagine i could get atleast a couple hundred for it ? it is still in great shape, no leaks etc.
i also saw these on ebay. they look like they would work just fine? i wonder about the quality.. could not ask for a better price.
286BB 28 25" 41mm Front Fork Tube Assembly w Hardware Harley | eBay
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Plasterhead
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak600 View Post
ok so the top caps are interchangeable, i see the threads inside the fork. well i considered just buying a new dna frontend and trying to sell the one i have. i would imagine i could get atleast a couple hundred for it ? it is still in great shape, no leaks etc.
i also saw these on ebay. they look like they would work just fine? i wonder about the quality.. could not ask for a better price.
286BB 28 25" 41mm Front Fork Tube Assembly w Hardware Harley | eBay
Those do look nice for the price. I'd try them If I was looking for some. I think I just got a bad set of forks with my DNA set. The first time I replaced the bushings and bearings there was machining trash all in the bottom of the legs. It was so thick I had to scoop it out with a stick. I think I got a set that slipped by the quality control group LOL.. If yours are in good shape and don't leak, I'd keep them and just rebuild them with the correct length tubes. But for $200 I'm sure you could sale them pretty easy. Good Luck...keep us posted.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Those do look nice for the price. I'd try them If I was looking for some. I think I just got a bad set of forks with my DNA set. The first time I replaced the bushings and bearings there was machining trash all in the bottom of the legs. It was so thick I had to scoop it out with a stick. I think I got a set that slipped by the quality control group LOL.. If yours are in good shape and don't leak, I'd keep them and just rebuild them with the correct length tubes. But for $200 I'm sure you could sale them pretty easy. Good Luck...keep us posted.
with all that trash you found in yours i bet they had deep scratches in them. that really sucks... years ago i had picked up a set DNA brand 17'' laced rims for my honda crf450r supermoto stuntbike. the quality of the rims looked great. i was very pleased. never had a problem with them. i figured if they make nice wheels the forks should be ok
thanks for the help man ! i am going to post up pics when its back together. old school style chopper with a clean modern touch. candy/flake paint etc. looks mostly period correct. lots of fabricated parts too very proud for my first chopper !