Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Ultima 140
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: Today
Replies: 24
Views: 2,459
CfL top motor mount
Last Post: robertarner
Posted On: 03-07-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 791
Post up WCC Engraved Air Cleaner Pics
Last Post: Choppa
Posted On: 03-01-2024
Replies: 66
Views: 20,364
Drive Belt question for Iron Horse Judge
Last Post: veronawhite
Posted On: 02-28-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 485
More...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: wcc cfl
Not Ranked     
open belt drive

I am thinking of putting a open belt on my 99 softail.

what are some opinions?

I like the new bdl 2" the way it looks is nice but is the quality better then before? and don't like how they recommend red loctie on the trans spline

I am also looking at the primo set ups the slime line and the brute 4 3" open belt

also how are they with kind of a daily driver not a show bike more of a rider. I need to replace the clutch that is why I am leaning toward the belt drive I always like how they look but how practical are they
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 85 wideglide/13 FLHT/13 CHOPPER
Not Ranked     
I have a brute 4 and so far am very impressed with the clutch set up and quality of machining. There is absolutely zero drag on the clutch and it's very quiet for a dry clutch. I've been very happy with the purchase and would recommend it.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2007 custom bobber/ hybrid engine
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidchop View Post
I like the new bdl 2" the way it looks is nice but is the quality better then before? and don't like how they recommend red loctie on the trans spline
Sure the hell can't get any worse then it was 6-7 years ago.

FWIW, been running mine for 6 years and never used any loc tite on it.

Replacing the clutch plates are super easy on an open belt drive.

FWIW, if you can afford the Primo, I'd go that route...

Last edited by golfish; 03-05-2013 at 03:51 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 Barefoot Choppa
Not Ranked     
I say go for it....I have a Tauer Machine and love it. Much better then BDL. Primos are nice as well.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I am leaning toward the primo. do you find the belt ever in the way when riding? also if I do go with the primo are the domed pully covers avalible? I think that looks killer
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I am runnin an ultima 3". I just installed it this winter, cant give much of a report because I have only taken a few spins. Clutch is not loud and it has not been an issue as far as hittin my leg or anything. I just like gettin rid of all the gaskets and primary oil!!! Oh ya, 1990 softail custom with some......custom touches!!!

After I installed it I had an issue with the transmission. That little spring on the shifter prawl snapped. I did not know that was the problem and I wanted to have the whole tranny gone through. So I decided to take the tranny right out of the bike and bring it to a shop. It was very easy pullin the whole primary apart. Like I said, no oil, no gaskets, no mess. It was great. Rode the bike the past two days.....great!!!!

I chose this ultima unit because it was really beefy lookin and I liked the idea of the outside plate for support. When I went for a rip today I got out on the highway for a few exits and opened her right up. No issues, no noises, no vibration, went really well.

This is the first Harley I have ever owned / modded so I dont know much about the brand. Others may have better info, but so far so good.

Also drops a ton of wieght off the little piggy!! I love it so far.

Last edited by CTLUBA; 03-05-2013 at 07:08 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
a 2" belt easily handles a radical low geared 100" motor, take it from there.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1949 Harley-Davidson, FL (Panhead)
Not Ranked     
Quote:

also how are they with kind of a daily driver not a show bike more of a rider. I need to replace the clutch that is why I am leaning toward the belt drive I always like how they look but how practical are they
If you really are talking a daily driver here, there are some things you should consider. First of all, you are going to wear out belts and pullies much more frequently than you would wear out chains and sprockets. Virtually all the belt drives (except for SuperMax) use aluminum pullies. They wear really fast. I had noticeable wear on my Primo belt and pullies after only 10K miles. On a daily driver you could be putting 15K miles on a year. You might find yourself replacing belts every 18 months and pullies every 3 or 4 years. That's going to get expensive. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but go in with your eyes wide open. All that said, I put 15K miles a year on my bike. I use a SuperMax belt drive. The pullies are made of polyurethane. I have over 90K miles on them and there is no sign of wear. The 14mm pitch carbon fiber belt also wears much longer than the small tooth belts. I put 60K miles on my last belt. Here is the catch... SuperMax only makes belt drives for Knucks, Pans, and Shovels.

-Craig
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by caschnd1 View Post
If you really are talking a daily driver here, there are some things you should consider. First of all, you are going to wear out belts and pullies much more frequently than you would wear out chains and sprockets. Virtually all the belt drives (except for SuperMax) use aluminum pullies. They wear really fast. I had noticeable wear on my Primo belt and pullies after only 10K miles. On a daily driver you could be putting 15K miles on a year. You might find yourself replacing belts every 18 months and pullies every 3 or 4 years. That's going to get expensive. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but go in with your eyes wide open. All that said, I put 15K miles a year on my bike. I use a SuperMax belt drive. The pullies are made of polyurethane. I have over 90K miles on them and there is no sign of wear. The 14mm pitch carbon fiber belt also wears much longer than the small tooth belts. I put 60K miles on my last belt. Here is the catch... SuperMax only makes belt drives for Knucks, Pans, and Shovels.

-Craig

I have an 85 wideglide I put a open primo 3" belt on it back in 1996. I've probably got 65k to 75k miles on it. It's the old clutch style setup and while it requires a lot of maintenance-mostly cleaning the plates and adjusting for drag-the only thing I've replaced were the rivets that hold the dogs to the clutch basket. Belt and pulleys are in great shape. I don't have any type of guard but I regularly clean any sand or dirt out when I wash the bike...........sand especially will eat belts and aluminum pulleys.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1949 Harley-Davidson, FL (Panhead)
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanger View Post
I have an 85 wideglide I put a open primo 3" belt on it back in 1996. I've probably got 65k to 75k miles on it. It's the old clutch style setup and while it requires a lot of maintenance-mostly cleaning the plates and adjusting for drag-the only thing I've replaced were the rivets that hold the dogs to the clutch basket. Belt and pulleys are in great shape. I don't have any type of guard but I regularly clean any sand or dirt out when I wash the bike...........sand especially will eat belts and aluminum pulleys.
Sounds like you are getting really good service. We do have more dust and sand here in the desert than what you probably see so that could account for the difference in wear. I was really surprised how rounded off the teeth on my Primo belt were after only 10K miles. And the pullies showed significant wear too. My Primo was a 1.5" belt so that could also contribute to the difference.

-Craig
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006 FLYRITE BOBBER, 2002 NIGHT TRAIN
Not Ranked     
We do Hardkote Anodizing on our pulley's and wear is minimal at best. Belts do wear though. I have over 20,000 miles on my first belt on my BDL 3" drive.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Well bro, cant say ya didnt get a bunch of info on this one!!!

Good luck, and lets see some pics when you get her goin!!! (if ya do get one)
Old 03-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
thanks for all the good info! I will get some pics up if I do get one.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
ok one more question for the guys that have them. how is it when riding a passenger? It looks like the foot will be right next to the clutch pulley on a softail
Old 03-07-2013, 04:32 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
ok one more question for the guys that have them. how is it when riding a passenger? It looks like the foot will be right next to the clutch pulley on a softail
Your right. It is. Tell them to keep their foot out of it our they'll have a stump.