Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Powder Coating Forum

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 05-17-2022
Replies: 116
Views: 29,846
Rucker performance gauntlet seat
Last Post: GREENEDONNIE
Posted On: 05-16-2022
Replies: 0
Views: 110
Nation Wide Events Schedules With Details
Last Post: OfficialBigDog
Posted On: 05-11-2022
Replies: 0
Views: 60
2012 RevTech compression release
Last Post: shinbentley
Posted On: 05-10-2022
Replies: 3
Views: 642
Fender grommets
Last Post: muddychops
Posted On: 05-09-2022
Replies: 11
Views: 1,310
More...
Old 05-16-2013, 03:19 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
taking PC off yourself

So im going to get my frame/parts recoated, and instead of paying to have the coat blasted off im probably going to try and get most of it off myself. I know some of the cracks/crevices and hard to get to parts are going to need blasted but what should i use to take most of the PC off??? Im thinking angle grinder with grinding wheel, will this work???? I know the PC is a prettty thick coating and quite durable, just wondering if any pros out there have done this and can give me advice/tips to help save me a buck..... i am going to use the money i save probably for a custom embroided seat...... Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 04:45 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I wouldn't use a grinding wheel, if I were going to do it by hand it would use a wire brush. Just make sure it's rated for the speed of your grinder
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Aircraft Remover (Rustoleum)...Spay it on ...wait and hour...scrape it off...NO GRINDER unless you want a really fucked up frame.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 80" bobbed prostreet,'06 RdKng.
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by clspht View Post
Aircraft Remover (Rustoleum)...Spay it on ...wait and hour...scrape it off...NO GRINDER unless you want a really fucked up frame.
+1 .........you'll have big and very noticeable flat spots if you use a grinder.On a serious note-blasting is "the shit"..how much to have the frame blasted (?),by the people doing the PC ?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Harley 89 Heritage 127 ultima
Not Ranked     
Paint stripper!!! Its cheap and works very well scotch brite wheel on the grinder and you'll be OK.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
about 125$ to have it sandblasted...... i just figure i could do it myself and save 100... i think il try the aircraft remover first...... What should i use to scrape it off... just a wire wheel????? thanks guys...
Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Plasterhead
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '98 FXSTB
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jworm View Post
about 125$ to have it sandblasted...... i just figure i could do it myself and save 100... i think il try the aircraft remover first...... What should i use to scrape it off... just a wire wheel????? thanks guys...
It's going to be "jelly like" once the remover works on it. Just scrape it off with a putty knife or similar. If you use a wire wheel it's going to sling that shit on to you and then it's going to turn your skin jelly like LOL...seriously, you dont want to get that stuff on your skin or in your eyes. Work carefully with it and be patient. You might have to re-apply it a time or two before you get the bulk of it off.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:53 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 80" bobbed prostreet,'06 RdKng.
Not Ranked     
Quote:
By the time you buy the stripper,screw around with it (there is more to it than applying it and scraping it off) and get the frame cleaned properly for the PC,125$ is well worth it-plus blasting gives an excellent profile (surface) for PC (or any coating).
Old 05-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
i bought some and tried it on a small part i had just to see, and your right, it maybe just better for me to just have it blasted... that seems like extensive work to get in the cracks and crevises..... Plus it says somehting about flash rust and im not really familiar with what that means,,,,
Old 05-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2013 Redneck Lowlife / SPCN
Not Ranked     
My powdercoater just bakes the old powdercoat off. He said it literally turned to ash. Then he blasts and does the new powedercoat. $175 for mine including the new powedercoat in gloss black.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra
Not Ranked     
I would pay the money, and get it blasted.
Anything else is a false economy, and could affect the new finish.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 redneck engineering. 1971 xs650
Not Ranked     
As stated above I have baked off old powder coat. Ask him about doing that its as easy as putting it in the oven on a higher temp for around 30-45 minutes and u can take an air nozzle and watch it fly... It turns to dust, plus it prepa the new surface while doin it.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Might even be worth it to get a cheapy blast gun, then you can use on other shit too. Later.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
i use b17

Quote:
So im going to get my frame/parts recoated, and instead of paying to have the coat blasted off im probably going to try and get most of it off myself. I know some of the cracks/crevices and hard to get to parts are going to need blasted but what should i use to take most of the PC off??? Im thinking angle grinder with grinding wheel, will this work???? I know the PC is a prettty thick coating and quite durable, just wondering if any pros out there have done this and can give me advice/tips to help save me a buck..... i am going to use the money i save probably for a custom embroided seat...... Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks guys
I use b17 done in 10 min.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:14 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
to remove the powder coating you can use sulphuric acid , if you are in hurry you can heat it up other wise it can work in cold condition also . try to be very careful it is very harmful .