Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > One Off Custom Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Ultima 140
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: Today
Replies: 24
Views: 2,464
CfL top motor mount
Last Post: robertarner
Posted On: 03-07-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 796
Post up WCC Engraved Air Cleaner Pics
Last Post: Choppa
Posted On: 03-01-2024
Replies: 66
Views: 20,371
Drive Belt question for Iron Horse Judge
Last Post: veronawhite
Posted On: 02-28-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 491
More...
Old 09-06-2020, 12:14 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks.
I found battery dimensions and made a box.
A cardboard box.
For visualizing:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2020, 08:41 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2013 Y Chrome Custom
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
Thanks.
I found battery dimensions and made a box.
A cardboard box.
For visualizing:
something to consider, electrical stuff gets hot, hot stuff fails. might consider just making a metal band to strap it in place vs. a fully enclosed box. you'll get more ventilation and keep it cooler.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks
As stated the box was for visualizing and it became apparant that the area was too small to accomodate the battery. I have dimensions for Harley electric start battery's. Easily obtained and replaced.
All of this mess will be gone , the silly suicide scenario shifter mount , and the plate and lower fender mount. The fender is gonna be cut off, there is a chain cut that goes 2" into the tire area anyway that can be cut right off and the battery box can block most of the road grime. I need this area clear to get the battery down onto the frame rail , where a proper mount will be installed:

Ya so I went on to removal , first the "brake stay" mount. I didnt take a pic as it came off and the "weld" cleaned off quickly.
The big solid 1" bar that was to be used for a shift handle wsa next. It was as scary as the stay ,so I took a pic:

The blued part is the 1" bar, you can easily see there was little penetration of the weld into the bar. The stay was the same way so off it all came , fender mounts (off center any way):

I managed to sand it smooth without too much parent metal removal.There are some other tabs attached by the previous "welder" including the kickstand mount , which I'll grind out and run some hot mig wire into it. Good to find this out now, rather than have parts falling off the bike as it goes down the road.

Last edited by JamesS; 09-06-2020 at 08:17 PM..
Old 09-07-2020, 05:44 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Thanks
As stated the box was for visualizing and it became apparant that the area was too small to accomodate the battery. I have dimensions for Harley electric start battery's. Easily obtained and replaced.
All of this mess will be gone , the silly suicide scenario shifter mount , and the plate and lower fender mount. The fender is gonna be cut off, there is a chain cut that goes 2" into the tire area anyway that can be cut right off and the battery box can block most of the road grime. I need this area clear to get the battery down onto the frame rail , where a proper mount will be installed:

Ya so I went on to removal , first the "brake stay" mount. I didnt take a pic as it came off and the "weld" cleaned off quickly.
The big solid 1" bar that was to be used for a shift handle wsa next. It was as scary as the stay ,so I took a pic:

The blued part is the 1" bar, you can easily see there was little penetration of the weld into the bar. The stay was the same way so off it all came , fender mounts (off center any way):

I managed to sand it smooth without too much parent metal removal.There are some other tabs attached by the previous "welder" including the kickstand mount , which I'll grind out and run some hot mig wire into it. Good to find this out now, rather than have parts falling off the bike as it goes down the road.
absolutely. you have the luxury of seeing the metal for what it is and can cut/reinforce where necessary before you have it painted, powdered, or chromed.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Well ; CUE THE MIDGET:
"That aint gonna werk"!

A stock sized battery will not fit into the space. I cut my cardboard box down until it fit without too much size loss. Then spent a few hours researching battery's , then went on a m/c parts suppliers page and found a number of smaller battery's that ill fit in the box size. With 3 battery's that are easily supplied and with enough power to crank the starter , I'll go ahead and get a box fabbed up, one with a side opening and easy access to the terminals:

Last edited by JamesS; 09-07-2020 at 03:04 PM..
Old 09-08-2020, 05:26 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Well ; CUE THE MIDGET:
"That aint gonna werk"!

A stock sized battery will not fit into the space. I cut my cardboard box down until it fit without too much size loss. Then spent a few hours researching battery's , then went on a m/c parts suppliers page and found a number of smaller battery's that ill fit in the box size. With 3 battery's that are easily supplied and with enough power to crank the starter , I'll go ahead and get a box fabbed up, one with a side opening and easy access to the terminals:
the frame i had on the Gripper bike I have would only allow for a small, and what i considered undersized battery. it had a tray in the swingarm in front of the rear tire. i ended up modifying the tray to allow the battery to lay on it's side with terminals facing forward, a piece of steel strap on top, then two pieces of 1/4" all thread between the top strap and the tray. that allowed me to keep the battery back there while allowing a decent battery that wouldn't have me crossing fingers every time i tried to start it. i ended up with a braille glassmat battery that has been really good. i keep it on a battery tender junior which seems to help extend the life well too.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:33 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks.
Battery box begins:

Old 09-10-2020, 07:41 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-19; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
I used a small lithium battery by Scorpion having no room for regular.

https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...PointTechSpecs

pretty powerful for it's size.

Dimensions (LxWxH): 6 7⁄8 x 3 7⁄16 x 5 1⁄8 in
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech FL 2014/2019 bobber
Old 09-10-2020, 12:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Noted .
Thanks.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:15 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Battery box progression:

Lots of thought went into it.
Ends drop in and bolt at the top for removal.
Rubber pipe to insulate wires entering the box.
Bottom mount to the 3/16" flat bar which will be welded to the frame.
1/8 & 1/4 " Komatex close cell material will be used for the interior bottom and sides.
3 batteries in the J&P catalogue will fit , a hold down will be made when the chosen battery arrives.

Last edited by JamesS; 09-15-2020 at 03:22 PM..
Old 09-20-2020, 08:25 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
good move using perf'd mat'l so it can stay cooler
Old 09-22-2020, 02:47 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks.
The perforated metal was left over from signwork.
Checking and double checking as I go , problems get solved and new ones arise. The oil tank was never mounted properly. I fabbed a 4th mount and clearanced the tranny mount ;

Got the tank in place and then found out why there is no 5th tranny mount;

The crap-ass tank has a crack already so sectioning out a piece for the mount isnt adding a lot of work.

Last edited by JamesS; 09-22-2020 at 02:50 PM..
Old 09-22-2020, 06:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
More sorting of the oil tank , so much in the way I just started grinding off the obstructions, mostly the rear trans mount. Now the tank goes in smooth and bolts up nicely. The final obstruction was the 5th trans mount bolt. Here is the tank with the section removed to clear the bolt and mount;

I took out the existing trough and will replace with a slanted piece ,alleviating some of the trickier tig welding to come.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Mounting brackets and the hole in the tank:

There are a tail/licence , 2 x rear turn signal , 4th oil tank , 5th trans , chain guard mouints and 2 'runners' to go on the underside of the frame , as the oil tank is below the frame rails and the drain plug is dangerously the lowest part of the bike. These runners will straddle the tank.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:54 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
A 2" x 2" x 6" section of 1/4" angle is cut and formed into a rear fender bracket:

Welded up and ready to go on the frame:

Last edited by JamesS; 09-29-2020 at 09:36 AM..