Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Old School Chopper Talk!

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
9 Ultima 113 (100 miles) dumping oil from breather
Last Post: Oldsmobile5798
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 116
WCC Hellbent Pipes (Stainless)
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Replies: 1
Views: 29
Hellion CFL Build.
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Replies: 518
Views: 154,358
Fender grommets
Last Post: muddychops
Replies: 6
Views: 471
Trikes first run
Last Post: Spartacus
Posted On: 10-23-2021
Replies: 9
Views: 2,902
More...
Old 04-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
68 Triumph Chopper

Hi , ive just recently bought a 1968 triumph with a 650 cc TR6R motor with a bolt on triumph hardtail rear end with a springer front end . Yesterday it would start so I changed plugs as they were fowled and put on new air filter got it going to find that had lost the light and in top gear it splutters and feels like its going to stall .
What to do ? , is this electrical and where do I start looking and to ad to insult the rear brake snapped off the forward controls .

Pics will be up shortly as have 2 teenage boys online on their xboxs ..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 76 FXE
Not Ranked     
The first thing I would do is a compression test to see if the engine is healthy, but before you do a compression test on an old Triumph twin you need to adjust the valves first. Since it's a chopper I need a little more info to help you towards the next step. Does it have dual points, and dual coils, or did someone modify the ignition system to one with no advance unit or maybe an electronic ignition or a mag? Also does it have a zener diode or a newer style voltage regulator, or maybe even a battery eliminator...and...does it have an Amal carb with a tickler or something more modern with an accelerator pump? I know this is a lot of questions but there's tons of things that could be causing your issue and knowing what components you have will help a great deal.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
It has dual points dual coils has a zener diode and a points ignition and it has a amal carb , it has only started acting up . Havent done compression test yet but previous owner says it should be all good .

Last edited by gunrunner; 04-05-2014 at 10:03 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 76 FXE
Not Ranked     
I'd still adjust the valves and do a compression test first. Then you have two separate paths to go down, fuel and electrical. Check your charging system and make sure it's producing 13.5 volts or so, then go inside of the points cover and do a visual inspection, look for oil, burnt points, broken springs on the advance unit, or a stuck advance unit, then file(or replace) and adjust both sets of points. Hang a timing light on it and make sure that the mark isn't bouncing around(or misfiring) at 3000 RPM, do this on both wires. After that you need to look at fuel, make sure you have good flow to the carb, make sure that the float is adjusted properly and that the tickler isn't sticking and the slider works nicely with the throttle. Take note of what notch the needle is in, the lower the notch on the needle means you get full main jet faster which can foul plugs. Honestly, it sounds like a fuel problem but you have to be sure that the mechanicals of the engine and your ignition system are OK before you do anything else.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
good adbise from above, a tric you can do is get a drum key from a drum shop and pop teh valve cover and tap it on while rocking it. real easy to adjust yer valves that way.
off the top of my head I think your exhust is 8 intake is 6 thousands.
one other thing is your condencer could be going allso.
and do the above to that.
I absolutely hate lucas electrics. and one thing you can do is look around on fleabay for a ARD mag.
this is a belt driven unit that puts the mag in front of the jugs. just a thought.
you can also go the 2mc cap and battery eliminater route.

my 1st bike was a 67 tiger and these motor are so easy to rebuild
good luck
Old 06-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1969 Triumph Chop project,
Not Ranked     
Wow my first post, and it's in a thread I know a little something about. My first suggestion is to get rid of everything Lucas. In the British bike scene we call him Lucas the lord of darkness for a reason. Go with an electronic ignition or Mag set up. There are several EI set ups on the market such as Boyer, Tri spark, pizon and sparx. I myself perfect a magneto such as Joe Hunt, Morris, or ARD ( if you can score an ARD you are king). You mentioned that you changed spark plugs, we'll Bro that could be the majority of your problem if you bought the wrong plugs. Recommended plugs for unit 650 Triumph with Alloy head is NGK B7ES or Champion N3C, if it has an iron head you need NGK B8HS .025 spark plug gap. Also you didn't. Mention if you changed plug wires aswell, if you did you need 5000 ohm resister boots. Your valve clearance should be set at. 008" intake and. 010" exhaust as long as it has stock cams and your cam timing should be set at 38 degrees before top dead center. Hope this info can help you.

Larry
Back Porch Choppers
Old 06-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I put a pazon ignition with a accell coil, on my t-140.
I give the amals a tickle and she will fire on the first kick.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:04 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Your first post and already a thead..that's because this is a great forum with a bunch of guys that love this stuff....Iv'e been poking around some of the car forums lately trying to get info. on my Kia, and you get very few replys...and if you do get replys they are usually.."take it to a shop"because they are so bored and inexperienced that commenting makes their day..depressing.....You also have an old triumph.. that's cool..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana