Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Metric Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
New Recruit
Last Post: Tx51
Posted On: Today
Replies: 4
Views: 53
"Not the Normal" builds, from WCC
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Replies: 18,064
Views: 3,725,847
Spyke Starter problems
Last Post: StreetGlide
Replies: 5
Views: 119
As if i didn't have enough projects
Last Post: Spartacus
Replies: 0
Views: 34
auto clutch EFM
Last Post: STEINBVG
Replies: 18
Views: 174
More...
Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 roadking 90-93xl 96 xl bobber
Not Ranked     
More pics poop
Old 04-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: shovel chopper
Not Ranked     
keep the picks coming....
Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL underway !!
Not Ranked     
Unreal ..... more ... more.... more......
Old 04-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thats a realy nice bike poop,great work.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
the next part was when it really got fun. empty frame sitting in my garage, and i just started putting different tanks on it, different fenders, headlights, bars... all kinds of shit. i picked up EVERYBODY'S scrap parts, borrowed them for the weekend, and swapped crap parts. this was the part of the build that involved the most drinking, and the least work, and the most dreaming.

it also came at a pretty low point in my life, when i kicked out my girl of five years, business was down hard, relationships with very close family members had been tested hard, and a very close friend ended up picking up the girl i kicked out. i was about to lose it, for quite a while, so having this escape from it all really, really helped get me through it.

it was also a time for experimentation for a guy who never took any shop class, any art stuff beyond elementary school stuff, who never fabbed much of anything. luckily, i had some friends who had access to stuff and they let me have at it. i made an arched, contoured fender out of a flat trailer fender. it was a piece of crap, but i learned a lot about shaping metal by doing it. one guy had some harbor freight tools that he'd bought and didn't even know how to use. neither did i, but i got a chance to just play on them. english wheel was a little above my head. i took it over to the planishing hammer and channeled my frustration into rounding out this flat fender. i was puzzled how this flat fender that i'd cut the sides off of, then bent to the radius of the wheel i was using, elongated out to a ridiculously large wheel radius as i put an arch to it. finally i learned an important principle about displacing metal in sheet metal work. i also learned about work hardening, and subsequently played around with annealing the piece to soften it up again. i also played around with putting cuts along the side to tighten up the radius again, creating the armadillo you'll see pictured below. it was the subject of all kinds of jokes from my friends, and lots of head shaking and doubts among them as well, i'm sure. but i didn't care, playing with that crap was all i had at that point (my big bike was seriously out of commission, and i was broke), and it brought me great peace.

some of these other so-called sex offenders arenít even registered. they donít even have papers! they donít put the work into it.

Last edited by Poop; 04-20-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
i ended up using the lessons learned from the "armor-dillo" fender on several other pieces, including shaping an old honda front fender (a throwaway item for most) into the rear fender i used for this build. by widening the width of the fender with my bare hands, i drew in the wheel radius (i'm sure my terms are all fucked up here) right to the contour of my tire. i learned much later that there are how-tos for doing the very same thing to be found, but i figured it out myself, and took great satisfaction from the knowledge i gained not just about making the fender, but about what happens as you shape metal in general.

some of these other so-called sex offenders arenít even registered. they donít even have papers! they donít put the work into it.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
ha! funny to look back at a clean and uncluttered garage. i actually slept out here some nights in the beginning, to get away from the rest of the house that felt so empty and lonely.

first up: mount the rear wheel in the frame, using stock spacers. i was pretty happy to see the wheel line up quite well. i guess the carpenter's table we used in the back of the bike shop, and the twine and the threaded rod axle jig all worked out alright after all.

NOTE TO THOSE CONSIDERING THE SAME:
if i could go back and do it again, i would DEFINITELY keep the motor in the frame as a jig for the mounts. we were a little ignorant of the amount the frame would spring out of shape once hacked apart, as well as how much pulling and distorting takes place during welding. now i know, and i'd do it differently. but it didn't exactly ruin us, just gave us more to adjust later.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
oh yeah, i believe at that point above the axle dropouts were a little too close at first. an easy way to get them out where they needed to be involved some threaded rod and nuts and washers (and plenty of anti-sieze!). nuts were placed on the inside and turned to open up the rear end. that sounded fucked up, but whatever. it could also work to pull 'em in, i reckon.

Last edited by Poop; 04-21-2012 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: grammar, bitches
Old 04-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
first look at stance:

and here was an interesting look, with the engine in, and juxtaposed against the stock frame of my parts bike. raised axled giving frame a drop closer to the ground, and about six inches of stretch in the rear would help get me between the wheels, and away from that monkey-humping-a-football look of most of the small jap bikes. front frame geometry is still maintained, except for the drop in height achieved by sliding fork tubes up through the trees.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
so here finally i go with sticking various parts over the frame, sometimes just to help imagine a shape, sometimes to really see if i can use that particular part. in these two pics, i'm comparing headlight position. it took just a few seconds to realize that the high mount of the headlight didn't work, but it certainly helped to fix it up there with cable ties and blur my eyes and pretend for a bit.

also in these pics are the seat from the original build, which i was pretty sure i'd use, because it was free and i was broke, and the tank, even though it leaked, and looked like the cheap sporty knockoff it was.

the seat, of course, didn't make the final cut. the tank did... after a hell of a lot of cutting.

no laughing at my shitty ideas, though! it was a necessary part of the process, as i really hadn't a very clear direction i was going in in that department. plus, being broke, i had to be open minded.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
oh yeah, and that headlight shell was a cracked one, almost thrown away after i replaced it on my big bike. what the fuck would i have used that for, except for a mockup like this? it was cracked all along the bottom, from vibration across the mounting bolt holes.

well, that is the headlight on my current build. and it won't crack from vibration for the next century or so, i'm pretty sure. ;-)

more on that later.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
those bars also ended up with their spot in the final product, as well. they are cheapass bicycle replacement bars flipped upside down, picked up out of the junk bin at the local bike shop. i was looking for different bars to consider, different shapes to play with, and my risers and controls called for 7/8 bars. not to mention, on such a small bike, any bigger bars would just look too clunky.

well, the bike bars were really cheap and thin and flimsy, and i was worried about them holding up to vibration. if i'd learned anything from my big bike, it's that EVERYTHING has to be built to withstand ridiculous vibration, as it would eventually tear everything apart, cracking it invisibly, in hidden recesses, showing itself only when something failed catastrophically moving down the road. how many parts of your bike can you afford to crack up the middle while you're riding down the road?

from the review of this model honda written back in the '70s, i knew this motor vibrated like nobody's business, as well. so i needed to keep this in mind for everything i built. so back to these bars... i had the set of apes that came on the build, but decided i wanted to go for something sleek and low. i loved the flipped bars on the cafe style bikes i was looking at at the time, so when i saw these in the junk pile at the bike shop, i scooped 'em up and threw 'em on.

more on how they turned into the final product later.

Last edited by Poop; 08-18-2012 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
another tank i experimented with. it was a costly little piece hanging on the wall at markee's shop. he had done it to sell, an early "experimental" piece i guess. it was solid as a rock, but the tunnel was too narrow for me. i did really like how the back of the tank came to a pinch, giving the bike a narrow, wasp-like "waist." i couldn't take that other tank--the black one--seriously anymore. the back of it was blocky, chunky, and just didn't give the bike the tapered, narrow look that i wanted.

i had, of course, decided at this point that i wanted this bike to be skinny, nimble, and light.

Last edited by Poop; 08-18-2012 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
okay, i'm laughing to myself as i post this next one, because it's the first glimpse of the "armor-dillo" fender i was talking about. certainly nothing to be proud of, from looking at it, but like i said, it taught me a lot in the process.

i also fell very much in love with this drop seat we came up with. so many rigids with sprung seats have the rider sitting way up there in the air, like that girl on the seat on top of a pole in the highwire act at the circus. i wanted a sprung seat, and i wanted to do a unique design that really made it work better than 90% of what i saw out there, but i wanted to be sitting down low with the bike, more a part of it when i rode.

oh yeah, and also i should mention the pegs i was using here for mockup. another guy i know sells a lot of pit bikes and crap. custom, jacked up golf carts, motorized beer coolers, odd crap. anyway, these were in his throwaway pile, so i scooped 'em up. call me the pooper scooper.

Last edited by Poop; 04-20-2012 at 08:29 PM..
Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
and now, more staring. looking at lines, drawing imaginary ones.

in the next pic, i just noticed the cardboard cutout on the seat. i'd been playing around with cardboard for seat pans. i knew i wanted something unique. having grown up on a horse farm, i rode many miles on trails since i was barely walking. i thought about how a well-designed saddle will stay comfortable for many, many hours. they aren't padded with modern materials, or very much at all. and that's on a freakin' horse banging up and down rocky trails all freakin' day long. even bare ass bones civil war mcclellan saddles were ridden dozens of miles a day, day after day. calvalry who rode in those janks would laugh at the whining of many of us, rolling on rubber tires over smoothly (relatively, remember) paved roads, with closed cell foam and/or suspension under our asses.

this cutout had a section removed from the middle kind of like (but not just like) civil war mcclellan saddles. it helped keep your sweaty monkey ass cool, because you're not sitting much on your taint anyway, as much as your hams and inner thighs. the way i kept cutting it out, it always looked gay, so i didn't do a split seat... but this line of thinking is what inspired the seat i ended up with, and it's WAY more comfortable than anyone could imagine from looking at it.