Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Metric Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Bracing myself for estimate
Last Post: itsxthexslim
Posted On: Today
Replies: 4
Views: 222
Which clamps for oil lines?
Last Post: Captain America
Replies: 1
Views: 24
"Not the Normal" builds, from WCC
Last Post: Jasonknezo
Replies: 17,830
Views: 3,414,614
Exile Hotrod (style)
Last Post: Hotrod
Replies: 15
Views: 329
measurement for trans pulley nut tool????
Last Post: Gibson choppers
Replies: 2
Views: 35
More...
Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1978 Kawi KZ650
Send a message via MSN to eyeofthestorm
Not Ranked     
it would be rad to have one carb sticking straight out each side of the back of the motor, with velocity stacks, talk about a cool lookin setup for a four cylinder, just dont lean your leg on it or youll choke out half the motor, hahaha

as for distance from carbs to the head, potentially if you used a small 2bbl you could run the rear barrel to the middle two, and the barrel closest to the motor to the outside two. that way it would be about the same length manifold
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'm the guy using the SU carb on the CB550. I got the idea from a guy on kzrider.com. You can go there and search "stromberg" to see his setup. I'm going to to try the SU, and if I end up yanking my hair out, I'll go a different route. I really believe it's going to work for me though. Japanese carbs are the reason I started this
Old 09-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Fired it up today!! I didn't ride it, but it idled and revved well. I'm beginning to believe now The guy on kzrider talked to me a little about his setup and he was a big help. I ended up going in a slightly different direction as far as the manifold, but it seems to work. I know there will be some tuning to be done, but getting it to idle and rev is definitely a start
Old 09-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: h.d
Not Ranked     
IN the eighties I was putting sidedraft weber carbs on 4 cylinder 750 honda's and at that time it was not that hard to find a manifold for a single weber to the honda, look around and maybe you can find one, this set up worked just great.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1982 Suzuki gs750e
Not Ranked     
I know this is an old thread, but what the hell. A friend of mine has an uncle, country doesn't describe him. Transmission in the tub sort. He took an older goldwing and put a 34pict vw carb on a hand made intake. Thing ran great. Smooth and responsive. A little more digging and i found out he makes clocks out of wood that keep time. Who'da thunkit
Old 01-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: All bastards
Not Ranked     
I have seen the old 4 into one carb set up on the old CB's before. The did have tuning problems, mainly because the carb gave a direct shot to the inner cylinders and the outers had to scavenge. If you built an intake more like an exhaust header it would probably fix that. It wouldn't have to be perfect, just make sure the carb isn't directly dumping into any of the cylinders. When its done you need to richen the carb to the leanest plug.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom metric chopper
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekial2222 View Post
I've been woundering this for awhile, has anyone ever put a single carb onto a 4-cyl bike? it's been done on cars sence the beginning... even the 4-cyl fuel injected cars have a single throttle body(usualy) which controls air flow... why couldn't it be done on a bike? any input would be appreciated. I'm just not looking forward to the whole carb tuning procedure on my bike... guess... dismantle.... change part.... reasemble.... run it.... repeat(hopefuly without the guess part).... order the jets I think I need... etc...
Of coarse it can be done. Not a problem.
Ford ranger 1996 V4 one carb
1996 Saab v4 one carb
Volkswagon bettles and buses 34mm carb or duel webber two barrels.
Or you could put on a set of Honda Goldwing carbs.
I am doing a similar project right now.

Carb tuning not a problem. First 1/4 throttle runs on idle jet and pilot air screw.
Get that part to work first and then move on to the other two issues.
Midrange mainjet and needle. Lastly 3/4 -full throttle mainjet wide open.

Two 36mm Keihin's from a Kawasaki 1500 on a Honda VF1000R V4 engine.
Hand made intake. I liked these when I saw them because they were not all beat up and I liked the look they have when mounted. Very interesting to look at. The float bowls are side to side.

Last edited by donald branscom; 01-27-2010 at 08:17 AM..
Old 01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
bzzrd2
Visit my Photo Gallery

Anything is possble with an idea, money and engineering. The earlier post that spoke to the "long header type" manifold on a Harley. It was probably a dual Weber setup. They actually block one venturi off in the carb and the runner is a fake so it really only runs in 2 barrels (if it runs at all) not 4.

I designed this intake to adapt a 40 MM Sidedraft Weber to a Triumph parallel port 650 head. We did the initial concept, had an designer do in in CAD and then ran it off on a 4 line CNC. With the Weber you can change the chokes (not the kind to choke start the bike) and reduce it down to 38 MM etc. Once running it's a matter of fine tuning.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzrd2 View Post
Anything is possble with an idea, money and engineering. The earlier post that spoke to the "long header type" manifold on a Harley. It was probably a dual Weber setup. They actually block one venturi off in the carb and the runner is a fake so it really only runs in 2 barrels (if it runs at all) not 4.

I designed this intake to adapt a 40 MM Sidedraft Weber to a Triumph parallel port 650 head. We did the initial concept, had an designer do in in CAD and then ran it off on a 4 line CNC. With the Weber you can change the chokes (not the kind to choke start the bike) and reduce it down to 38 MM etc. Once running it's a matter of fine tuning.

Photos omitted to save space.
I have a question for you BZZRD2.

Do car carbs have main jets like a motorcycle? If put a carb from a car on my motorcycle engine would it require main jet changes like a motorcycle carb?

For instance I see car people putting different car carbs on different engines. Do they have to go through and change jets until they get the combo correct like a motorcycle carb would require?

Last edited by donald branscom; 01-27-2010 at 08:24 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
A friend of mine (robbie),has made several single carb 4 cylinder chops before,check out the brit chopper forum,look for projects with the authors name Robbie. He's a really cool guy,and always happy to give help/advice and information.In fact,here's a link
http://www.britchopper.co.uk/forum/v...php?f=22&t=621
Old 01-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by j07johnson View Post
Posa made 4 into one manifolds back in the day. They are kind of rare to find now days. They always had problems with tuning. You could never dial in each cylinder. There was always to much or not enough fuel getting to the cylinders because each intake was not the same distance from the fuel source to the cylinder. Here is an address to some pics of them.

http://www.auburn.edu/~simmole/POSA.html
I can SEE why they will not work.
The web page needs some work too.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:18 PM
bzzrd2
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
I have a question for you BZZRD2.

Do car carbs have main jets like a motorcycle? If put a carb from a car on my motorcycle engine would it require main jet changes like a motorcycle carb?

For instance I see car people putting different car carbs on different engines. Do they have to go through and change jets until they get the combo correct like a motorcycle carb would require?
The short answer is yes they have jets. The big thing is getting the flow correct. The Weber I used works because you can choke it down like I stated which keeps your airflow velocity correct for the engine. A lot of varialbles there. If you just stuck on for example a big 600 CFM Holley on a 1200 CC motorcycle with a few mods you would never get it set up. That's just a wild example off the top of my head so don't beat me up on it! Your carb should match your engine airflow capabilities.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
What about VW bugs?

They were very successful and had one carb for four cylinders The the carb was a long way from each cylinder.

The firing order was 1-4-3-2 the same as my Honda VF1000R.

I will find out if this works in the next couple days.
The VW that had two barrel Webers on each side of the engine is the same as my set up.
I am using two 36mm carbs from a Kawasaki 1500 early model.

Last edited by donald branscom; 02-15-2010 at 08:15 AM..
Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 08 cfl
Not Ranked     
im putting a 1barrel carb came off a 1960 chevy truck on a 1975 cb550. its sticking straight up beside the gas tank
Old 01-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
Of coarse it can be done. Not a problem.
Or you could put on a set of Honda Goldwing carbs.
Here is a Weber manifold I designed and made for my Daughter and her Goldwing GL1000 operation. It's using a VW center section, T6061 mandrel bent polished tubes, T6061 head flanges and a Weber 28/36 DCD as pictured, but will take any DGV style Weber carb. She has other variations of this manifold for other purposes, including EFI. There are also adapters for the base allowing the Solex PICT series carbs to be used. I've flowed this particular one a flowmeter of my own design, and it flows more than the stock carbs, both using the factory GL air filter housing in place. I'm now working on 8-valve cylinder heads for the old 4-cylinder Goldwings.
I've had CB's, Virago's, Goldwing's and KZ's running single carbs for years.
Anything is possible if you can envision it.