Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Metal Working Forum

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
2004 Bourget Retro
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: Today
Replies: 3
Views: 156
18-530 Wiring Harness Mounting Location?
Last Post: rstarost
Replies: 0
Views: 33
18-530 Wiring Harness Mounting Location?
Last Post: rstarost
Views: 45
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 19
Views: 543
New Forum Member
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: Yesterday
Views: 44
More...
Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Mig vs. Tig vs. Nothing

I'm looking to start my second build (well, first depending on how you look at it). My first build was a kit bike and turned out great. I'm very good with my hands and really understand bikes, but I have no welding experience and know little about it.

I would like to start my new build now and just tack in place different things I need (tank, seat, fender bungs, etc.,). I would like to purchase a welder to which I can do the tacking and then once things are tacked in place, take the frame to someone who can truly weld. At some point I would like to become proficient in welding so I can do things on my own.

Is this a good idea? If so, what type and capacity of welder should I get?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: under construction
Not Ranked     
Urban
I would think you should get with someone that has both MIG and tig rigs and choose some one that really knows how they work. Then you can get some tube and sheetmetal you know the kinda stuff ya use to build a frame and practice, ask lots of questions and learn about the penatration of Ur welds then you can make an educated decision about your ability to tack. Really a tack should be part of the weld its important to understand where they go and how it effects the strength of the end product. Remember this is just the opinion of a redneck so do as ya like
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: VTX1800 Trike, building Covington trike
Not Ranked     
This is just a suggestion based off what I did. I actually took a 2 month welding course at my local Boces school. The class goes through every method of welding from oxy acetaline to tig. The class is primarily setup to train you to become a certified structural steel welder. However my instructor was cool and knew I wasn't looking for a career change (already a union electrician) He allowed us to choose any welding method we wanted and let us have at it for weeks, just welding whatever we wanted, whichever way we wanted to. It was great b/c they supplied all the materials and machines, and I had someone who really knew what to do, watching over me critiquing my work and giving me pointers. I focused on tig b/c I wanted to learn how to weld all different types of material from steel to aluminium. It was also good b/c ithe class gave me better insight into which machine would best fit my needs. Don't get me wrong I'm no Jesse James after this experience but I'm confident in what I do and with welding the only way to get better is to keep doing it.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 00 FXST 06 Roadking
Not Ranked     
If your looking for an engine for you build, I have a Harley crate engine (new)
with the mso from HD and I would sell it for a pretty good deal. I'm right down the road about 30 miles from you.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: under construction
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mle View Post
If your looking for an engine for you build, I have a Harley crate engine (new)
with the mso from HD and I would sell it for a pretty good deal. I'm right down the road about 30 miles from you.
I know ur not talkin to me but how much!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04 fxdxi
Not Ranked     
I would get a cheap mig welder from harbor freight and just tack the tabs and parts together then take it to someone who really knows how to tig and have him do it. Thats how I did my build. I own an auto repair shop and I own a mig welder to patch together things and mostly use it to remove broken studs and rounded off bolts. My friend who owns a body shop across the street has a really nice tig welder that he lets me use and mess around with. I still would never trust my welds on something as important as a frame or other part that would kill me when it failed at 100 mph. But I tacked tabs and mounts and had the "professional" tig them on for me.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: shovel chopper
Not Ranked     
to me tig is over rated...i use a MIG on every thing on my builds, from tank and frame modification to tabs....the nice thing about a MIG you can tackle any welding job with the change of the wire... look for a quality used MIG that a cheapy
Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks guys for the input. I have decided to do a little of everything. I will take the class that's offered at my local comminity college. Unfortunately, that doesn't start until January. However, I forgot that I have a friend who is great fabricator (owns his own business which does commercial design and construction work). He agreed to do the welds for me, but also teach me along the way.

I will probably get a mig once I have a better understanding of what I'm doing and what to look for.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom metric chopper
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchy View Post
I would get a cheap mig welder from harbor freight and just tack the tabs and parts together then take it to someone who really knows how to tig and have him do it. Thats how I did my build. I own an auto repair shop and I own a mig welder to patch together things and mostly use it to remove broken studs and rounded off bolts. My friend who owns a body shop across the street has a really nice tig welder that he lets me use and mess around with. I still would never trust my welds on something as important as a frame or other part that would kill me when it failed at 100 mph. But I tacked tabs and mounts and had the "professional" tig them on for me.
Go to a real welding store and buy a welding machine.
That way you get good advice and the right equipment.

Of course taking a beginning welding course is the gold standard.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Taking the course is definitely a good start but practice,practice,practice.You want it to become like riding a bike.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
the welding part is important but whats more important is learning how to fit metals together prior to welding.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
110 mig....
-Motorcycle
-Off Road/4x4
-Sheet Metal

www.facebook.com/NorthsideWeldingMachineLLC
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Harley 89 Heritage 127 ultima
Not Ranked     
i use both ig and tig as Red said so right!!!!!! butt welds are the go no gaps the joins need to be perfet i like to fill tubes with nitrogen then tig for true penetrtation and try to use the right the tools if you got the dough just what i do
Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wot he said.

Say G'day to big Kev for me.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Mig for tacks, you can do it with one hand.then tig for the strongest,cleanest most beautiful weld ever.tig is over rated,come on pops