Club Chopper Forums

Club Chopper Forums (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/)
-   Metal Working Forum (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/metal-working-forum/)
-   -   Engraving (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/metal-working-forum/123239-engraving.html)

Spade115 08-12-2021 01:21 PM

Engraving

Has anyone done or tried Engraving parts? I remember someone was doing it, but dont recall if it was DB, I am looking at picking up a Worx MakerX, and picking up some scrap parts I have in storage to try and do work on.

Wondering if anyone else has given it a try.

STEINBVG 08-13-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spade115 (Post 1288404)
has anyone done or tried engraving parts? I remember someone was doing it, but dont recall if it was db, i am looking at picking up a worx makerx, and picking up some scrap parts i have in storage to try and do work on.

Wondering if anyone else has given it a try.

i saw some great examples of that on old style custom bikes: Seems to be estheticaly pleasing. Especially when people pursue steam punk esthetics: Minimalistic paints, natural color of metals like brass, copper, aluminum, stainless...
I would not like it on modern looking machines, it would seem out of place imho.

As for me i would have no patience of going that far in finishing a custom bike.

I can't even motivate myself to paint steel parts of my functional for decades mock up bikes, justifying it by 'expressing my own style'- although people seem to like it.

Using aluinum for sheet metal saved me from a lot of drama.

Spade115 08-13-2021 09:51 AM

I like the idea of something small I can do to parts I can run on my bikes. I Ran across my old Blast with a "Free custom" points cover and gave me the idea to customize one for my bike and my uncles, incase we ever sell them and run across them again. Be unique to just see lol. But that might just be me lol.

Going to get some plain points covers and maybe a CV Carb top. not sure yet.

Spartacus 08-19-2021 12:24 PM

My Photo Gallery - www.valsflameshop.us

A buddy of mine did this. All hand engraved. I might be able to put you in touch with him.

Spade115 08-19-2021 01:51 PM

That is absolutely fucking nuts :eek: Ho-ly-shit.

I plan to pick up the Worx Maker X Dremel to use. Will be using a fender I got when I bought my KZ police bags to put on my fxr lol.

STEINBVG 08-20-2021 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 1288424)
my photo gallery - www.valsflameshop.us

a buddy of mine did this. All hand engraved. I might be able to put you in touch with him.

it appears to be done to a relatively modern sportster?

I'm not sold on the idea of using engraving on a modern bike...

It seems a bit out of place imho. Like Louis xiv style furniture in a modern Manhattan loft. Or like slapping an antique looking tire on modern street bikes?[ although indeed not w/o exclusions]

but i could imagine it to look and match great on some early 20's century motorcycles, stock or custom...or even some on some very lsd influenced 60-70's choppers...

Besides, this is a commitment that can't be undone like a paint job...
One must think hard how not make tastefully aesthetic, not gaudy creation.
Again, imho