Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Metal Working Forum

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
sump drain plug stuck/stripped
Last Post: CIC2016
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 43
The 2017 Laver Cup opens on Friday as the tournament presents
Last Post: koitalmu
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 15
FHKY11 ranked matchups headline weekend
Last Post: koitalmu
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 18
Rockerbox Gage Mount, One-off Part
Last Post: Wezx
Posted On: 09-21-2017
Replies: 19
Views: 4,004
Electrical help needed
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 09-21-2017
Replies: 17
Views: 509
More...
Old 08-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 08 ultima chopper
Not Ranked     
Kraft Tech welds cracking

OK i have a kraft tech frame, gas tank, and fenders. rear fender is a 300 strutless fender. below is the photos of my fender cracking.
This is a ultima build started in 08 and finally delivered in 2011. this is a CMC chopper and glad to have gotten the bike as many have not from cmc and there was alot of people who lost out after paying the tard. Well the build itself was a complete dingaling driven. we can go over the ding a ling builder crap later. but to the point.

Issues started with the fuel tank developing a leak on one weld on the front left mounting bracket, thought, its a new build bike maybe tank was loose and vibrating, ok whatever i will fix it. took it off, had it welded and fixed the issue. Nine months go by and we come to the fender issue and at the same time another fuel leak from another weld on the gas tank. WTF

three months ago (may 2013)is when I noticed some small scratches on the each edge of my rear 300 strutless fender. That well, were really cracks that developed into what you see now in the pics. Went from a inch to like 6 inches long. I contacted Kraft tech to be told thats not our fender, whats did you do to it, who hit your fender, and a bevy of other things that basically said were not taking blame and well that ticked me off. All this came from christian at kraft tech.

I told him of my concerns about the fuel tank and fender. I TOLD HIM I TOOK CARE OF THE FUEL TANK ONCE AND WILL TAKE CARE OF IT AGAIN, BUT THAT IS MORE DANGEROUS THEN THE FENDER ISSUE, SHE REPLIED "IF YOUR UNCOMFORTABLE WITH OUR PRODUCTS DONT BUY THEM" omg really?????
I also informed him that I am not looking for money nor anything free, I want to know if they have had complaints on this issue and have they fixed these issues. I need a rear fender, but if there fender cracks in 2000 (two thousand) miles i dont want to spend $1600.00 on fender and paint to do it again in 6 to 8 months. i will buy another brand.

{not about fender but about product follow through}
About a year ago I saw a couple cracks on my rear drive pulley prongs made by SMT Machine Inc, awesome pulley and matching stuff with it. I called SMT about the cracks and to order a new pulley. SMT went way beyond my expectation and sent me a new pulley for free. No questions asked. I did have to send them my old pulley and they said there was a issue with the aluminum mold when it was machined out. but they were awesome and took care of their product more than I expected and i will forever buy from them. I am a service provider to customers with expensive vehicles that they drive and any issue, i go back and do the job again if needed, not often as I am good but if there is a issue i replace and reinstall, no questions asked!

back to Kraft tech. Christian told me they have never had a complaint on there products. I say bull crap. they dont sell to customers they sell to distributors, the distributors say "out of warranty" to the customer and it a dead issue, Kraft tech is never informed. thus no complaints to Kraft tech. they think their stuff is gold. i say bull crap!

So my question is:
has anyone ever had a problem with kraft tech fenders cracking like mine in the pics? or the gas tanks developing leaks from the welds not sticking to the metal?

I have video and pics on gas tank if your interested. I am not a welder, but can clearly see and notice a crappy weld. Am I wrong is this? Is this a decent weld? and if so what would make the weld come apart like this? Some of you who know your stuff, you tell me does this look like adequate welding on this one fender? Also can this be repaired or do i need a whole new fender? do the welds, along the inside strut, look like crap? i have more pics if needed. So I am a little ticked. I got on ebay today and found a company selling a fender and frame from kraft tech. So I contacted the company and asked fro pics of the inside of rear fender. wow exactly like mine except not cracked yet. Wrote to christian and showed him my welds as I hadnt yet cause the fender was still on bike. He replied " that's not our welds, that's not our fender". So i sent him the pics from ebay. I said "wow someone has exactly made you fender exactly the same, and now someone is on eBay selling the exact same frame and fender style, same welding points and tubing and small wire clips they have in there. He said "Yes there are alot of awesome welders out there copying our stuff" I say bull crap. Kraft Tech said they did find the original purchase info from the VIN from my builder who actually purchased alot of items form them as well but was in 2008 out of warranty.

So basically i wanna know can this be fixed or should i get a new fender and if a new fender does anyone have a suggestion on a company who can make a decent fender for my bike. i am also in a crunch as the bike is supposed to be in a calender shoot in sept. 2013 I would think they can brush out the crack but I cant ride it to the shoot as i dont want the fender bending in and ruining a $500 dollar tire. tell me what ya all think?

Last edited by funspringguy; 08-09-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
So basically i wanna know can this be fixed or should i get a new fender and if a new fender does anyone have a suggestion on a company who can make a decent fender for my bike. i am also in a crunch as the bike is supposed to be in a calender shoot in sept. 2013 I would think they can brush out the crack but I cant ride it to the shoot as i dont want the fender bending in and ruining a $500 dollar tire. tell me what ya all think?

Last edited by funspringguy; 08-13-2013 at 07:13 AM..
Old 08-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last edited by funspringguy; 08-13-2013 at 07:02 AM..
Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 Barefoot Choppa
Not Ranked     
Huh?????????
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last edited by funspringguy; 08-13-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last edited by funspringguy; 08-13-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Old 08-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
i guess pics arent posting they are on my profile album
Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Club Chopper Forums - funspringguy's Album: kraft tech 300 strutless rear fender
Old 08-10-2013, 06:10 AM
Plasterhead
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '98 FXSTB
Not Ranked     
I'm not sure...I can say I've got a similar kraftech fender with the strut welded to the outside of the fender, and it did not come from kraftech welded, a shop welded it. I would bet that's a CMC weld. My frame, tank and fenders are all kraftech and I've had zero issues with their craftsmanship.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I am a certified welder and those welds are shit! I mean REALLY SHIT! They look like something I did in my first couple of weeks in welding class. They could be fixed though. I would TIG it. that gives you the strongest and prettiest weld. that looks like it may have been MIG welded by a monkey. fixing it would entail grinding the old welds as level as possible the re-welding them and you would have to repaint it too

Last edited by anarchy67; 08-10-2013 at 08:27 AM..
Old 08-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Not surprised they don't want to admit to those crap welds.its amazing to me how many bad welds are sold to the public everyday and every where.it's easily fixed by a competent welder.tig would be best.its hard to tell from the one picture but paint on the other side will have to be fixed as well, after the welding.your gonna have more trouble getting Kraft tech to help you then getting it fixed correctly.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor  
Bike Year, Make, Engine: Some kind of big ass V2, Alcohaulin' Ass
Send a message via ICQ to Mr Scary
Not Ranked     
Tell us what the issue is, one more time, Please. LOL
Old 08-10-2013, 01:43 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Where do you buy your $500 tire?? (So that I never go there)
Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: American V-twins
Not Ranked     
Fender cracks in chopper fenders are not that unusual. Usually occurs when the vibration from a large bore solid-mounted engine is transmitted into a suspended rear fender. The majority of purchased fenders are 16 gauge steel. In my opinion this is too thin for a chopper. I fab my fenders out of 14 or 12 gauge steel, and then TIG a 4 inch 12 gauge backing plate along the entire bottom edge of the fender. The thicker fender and backing plate can take the vibration. You have two options with your cracked fender. 1. You can have the cracks TIGed and weld a backing plate at the bottom of the fender. 2. Replace the fender with a 14 gauge fender and weld a 12gauge backing plate behind it. REALITY--the cost here is not in the welding or fender replacement. The cost is in repainting the fender. I would go for new steel so that I insure my investment on the cost of painting a custom rear fender. My recommendation.

Sky-Dogg
Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The other day when posting this nothing was happening and thought it was me. I see now I thought like ten times lol. sorry about multiple post i am gonna try and delete some.

The avon tire was about 300 and the local shop wanted about 160 to remove and remount tire. I said the tire in off I just want you to mount the tire. 75 and a three day wait!! lol. then said they wont guarantee messing up the rim?? lol Never mind!! so just rounded up to $500 in my mind. But you can bet i did shop around on the tire.

Whats weird on the fender is all the other welds look awesome except on the back of the sides

Last edited by funspringguy; 08-13-2013 at 06:58 AM..