Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > Harley Davidson Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Oil cooler results
Last Post: Scott Morris
Posted On: Today
Replies: 13
Views: 216
sprocket info
Last Post: samstheman
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 10
Views: 503
Rev tech tranni
Last Post: Avante
Replies: 0
Views: 24
Kandy
Last Post: spidr
Replies: 112
Views: 4,524
cool idea for paint/powder not sure its possible?
Last Post: txprostreet
Replies: 2
Views: 46
More...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Plastidip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash47331 View Post
That would be really cool but he likes the 9 spoke alloys that are on the bike now! With some cleaning and detailing they should be okay, I guess. Like I said, he's on a tight budget so custom style rims are a no right now!
He thinks it should stay close to stock, but with some affordable flair. I like the fact that he's not wanting to go overboard with it, but has the idea of a dependable ride that will be noticed for the classic lines.
Ever think about using plastidip for the wheels? I have seen it used on bikes and other things...It is cheap...like $6 a can at Lowes. Easy on and if you mess up you can just peel off and start again. Wheels would look good if you buff the metal parts and then tape off buffed metal section...then plastidip the black sections. There are some videos on youtube of people using them on car wheels etc...

PlastiDip
Youtube
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1340 chopper in the works
Not Ranked     
That's a really good idea! Thanx, I'll plan on doing this so his wheels will look good!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
good

Quote:
That's a really good idea! Thanx, I'll plan on doing this so his wheels will look good!
Hope it works out. I know how it is to have to be creative with mods because of $$. Picked up a neglected 01 Fatboy couple years ago...everything I have gotten for it has been from swap meets or crapbay. One of the good things about harleys being popular are the deals when people get tired of them.

Forge
Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
shit I've done that my whole life and its called building choppers
Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
BTW were about the only ones left now, all the yuppies have had their credit cards revoked.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings View Post
BTW were about the only ones left now, all the yuppies have had their credit cards revoked.
People keep asking me why I want to re-do an old bike when I could go to the "store" and get a new one or some car lot that sells bank repos!!
I tell them its something I've always wanted to do, take the old iron apart, slip some new gaskets or whatever into it, and watch it roll down the road again!
I've learned so much from this site that I can honestly tell people if I don't know the answer I can have it in a matter of hours! I'm loving that part of what I'm doing, finding out how and why!! Never too old or broke to learn!! LOL
I've been doing all my stuff on a Cummins jack and now I'm looking at getting a table because I can't handle the bending and squatting as much any more!! LOL
It's a love/hate thing, I guess........
Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
yep

Quote:
People keep asking me why I want to re-do an old bike when I could go to the "store" and get a new one or some car lot that sells bank repos!!
I tell them its something I've always wanted to do, take the old iron apart, slip some new gaskets or whatever into it, and watch it roll down the road again!
I've learned so much from this site that I can honestly tell people if I don't know the answer I can have it in a matter of hours! I'm loving that part of what I'm doing, finding out how and why!! Never too old or broke to learn!! LOL
I've been doing all my stuff on a Cummins jack and now I'm looking at getting a table because I can't handle the bending and squatting as much any more!! LOL
It's a love/hate thing, I guess........
Nothing better than the satisfaction of doing it yourself and then stand back and look at it...hell I do the same thing after I cut the grass...After seeing the projects on this board I realize just how much I need to learn...Ran across this site when looking for painting tips...Decided I wanted to paint my tins (old school style)...so instead of paying someone I took a class at the local VoTech and am currently collecting equipment...Will it take me longer to get the tins I want? sure but better to do it yourself...You are doing the best thing by letting your nephew see how thing should be done.....

Oh yeah..be sure to support your local RUB...because the parts they purchase today may be on my bike tomorrow (but for a tenth of the cost).
Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ain't that the truth!! LOL
Just got off the phone with a guy who has one of the Harbor Freight lifts for sale. He's asking $300 so I think I can afford it till I can get a better one We'll see!!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Keep it as is.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Repossessed? Someone owed money on a 1984 Shovelhead?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
They people had used it to float a loan at a finance company!
Believe it or not the bike is titled as a 65, type unknown! From what I can tell the frame is a mid to late 70s, it had 59-69 floorboards on it, GOD knows what year the frontend is, and so far about 2/3 of the bolts I've taken out were crossthreaded, none grade 8.
I've told my nephew what we should do is take the bike all the way down to bare frame and start over!
The motor is a nose cone STD bottom end with an S&S top end, 5 speed tranny, belt final drive and I haven't even pulled the primary cover yet but I'd say chain.
I'm having so much fun!!
I'm taking the tubes and sliders down to Donny's today to have new seals put in and to have him TIG the bottom tree on the frame stops. They look like someone attacked them with a grinder or something and my nephew can't afford new trees.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005-2012 Exile Cycle
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Ain't that the truth!! LOL
Just got off the phone with a guy who has one of the Harbor Freight lifts for sale. He's asking $300 so I think I can afford it till I can get a better one We'll see!!
Isn't that the price of a new one?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamio96 View Post
Isn't that the price of a new one?
I called Harbor Freight and they quoted me $439 and some change, so it's a little lower! I could buy one of those "coupons" on the 'bay for whatever, but I'd rather see if I can wheel and deal with cash. Maybe, maybe not. LOL

I'd rather have a good one but at this time moneys tight, about like everyone else!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
They people had used it to float a loan at a finance company!
Believe it or not the bike is titled as a 65, type unknown! From what I can tell the frame is a mid to late 70s, it had 59-69 floorboards on it, GOD knows what year the frontend is, and so far about 2/3 of the bolts I've taken out were crossthreaded, none grade 8.
I've told my nephew what we should do is take the bike all the way down to bare frame and start over!
The motor is a nose cone STD bottom end with an S&S top end, 5 speed tranny, belt final drive and I haven't even pulled the primary cover yet but I'd say chain.
I'm having so much fun!!
I'm taking the tubes and sliders down to Donny's today to have new seals put in and to have him TIG the bottom tree on the frame stops. They look like someone attacked them with a grinder or something and my nephew can't afford new trees.
Sounds like it's turning into a good resto. Hope you guys keep it original. Or as original as whichever year you want to choose to keep out of that mix.

Here's something for the chromed out pimp mobile though
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Coupon

Quote:
I called Harbor Freight and they quoted me $439 and some change, so it's a little lower! I could buy one of those "coupons" on the 'bay for whatever, but I'd rather see if I can wheel and deal with cash. Maybe, maybe not. LOL

I'd rather have a good one but at this time moneys tight, about like everyone else!
If the other guy doesn't work out you could get on HF mailing list and they will have the coupon in there paper ad sometimes...I might have one of their papers at home. Let me know if you need me to check. I am with you...better to try the other guy...cash usually talks.