Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CUSTOM BUILDERS/DISTRIBUTORS > General Builders/Distributor information

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: axeychrome
Posted On: 10-23-2020
Replies: 28
Views: 1,260
10 My First Build... an 06 CFL 2Up 2Out
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: 10-23-2020
Replies: 25
Views: 718
Teardrop Gas Tank Replacement
Last Post: R1_4Life
Posted On: 10-22-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 58
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 10-21-2020
Replies: 41
Views: 1,779
New CFL acquisition...
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: 10-18-2020
Replies: 3
Views: 315
More...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: FB250 100 c.i. EB
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljerry564 View Post
im startin in my garage. im about to get into ironworkin. i need a loan to start so i have to sell my first bike so im not in dept. and just like everyone else im also just gettin buy. that y i want to sell as low as possible. i do have some good ideas that i hope people would like and ill try to get a website to sell parts.
I'm feeling ya, bro. I've built a couple sleds (not for resale, they are my personal rides), and at the very least, build more in my spare time to make a little extra scratch. I have a friend that has a paint shop, and has given me an opportunity to set up there. Unfortunately, the market is slow, if not almost non-existant. In my area, we have a lot of troops returning from overseas, and they are buying crotch-rockets and shit. HDs here are still selling for upwards of 20k. Banks aren't gonna lend money for a bike built by an unknown. My advice is to build one, and enter it in some shows, and get people familiar with your work. I'm still trying to get mine known, and it's tough. I have a guy coming back from Afghanistan in June or July, and he wants me to build him one, but I'm probably going to make next to nothing on it. It's going to be slow going, but if you stay at it, and are willing to sacrafice, it's possible.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005, Custom, 100cu; 08 FLSTC, '71 SL70
Not Ranked     
Take a look at those businesses that have failed, or are doing poorly (avoid their mistakes) and look at those that are still around. Tough business now. Matt Hotch (hotmatch)has an interesting model. Uses the parts business to fund his operation, and builds high end customs to build his notoriety. WCC started fully self funded - no investors or loans. Overhead and debt is what kills emerging businesses of anykind.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: hand built
Not Ranked     
starting bike shop

if you want to ruin a great hobby, open a motorcycle shop. been in the business for 31 years. love what i do ...hate the people i do it for.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Spaceship
Not Ranked     
chopper shops have become like coffee shops; one on every corner; join the crowd...tough times have hit business wise and like others have already said it's cheaper to buy bikes completed than it is to build them as sad as it is...
Old 01-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
If I was you, I would open a repair shop = BIG MONEY
Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 76 FXE
Not Ranked     
I agree Red, in PA we have yearly state inspections. If you get your license and set up a station you'll have word of mouth very quickly. Offer repairs and parts, have a couple of used bikes for sale and have a custom for sale. Ironically I saw this today....

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/2188456538.html
Old 01-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
that sounds like a good deal and in a HUGE area.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1976 Shovel
Not Ranked     
Quote:
If I was you, I would open a repair shop = BIG MONEY
Excellent advice. Lean toward doing repairs and maintenance for Harley, American Ironhorse and Big Dog. You'll find that a lot of HD owners are dissatisfied with the HD dealerships who have a rep for fucking up other things while they're repairing something else. Ironhorse is out of business and there aren't many Big Dog dealers scattered across the country. Bottom line, lots of owners go to small shops for service.

On a less technical note, a lot of v-twin riders like going to independent (read: scooter tramp shops) for the ambiance of dealing with "real bikers" because they've been educated somewhat by television and movies. It's the biker mystique at work; making some people believe that you have secret knowedge gleaned from your biker adventures. Have a lot of road signs on the wall and a haf bottle of Jim Beam on your workbench, and you can charge an extra $10/hour. Have a hot slut bring you a sandwich while you're out there showing a client what needs looking at, and you can charge double.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
true dat
Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
thanks for the input. we have a bike night every week in the summer that ill be at. iv been building a custom truck for 8 years that wins at shows so im hoping i can design a bad ass bike people will like. there is not many custom shops by me. and i do all my own paint so i dont have to out source anything so ill save money there.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 06 BBC Venom ProStreet, 03 FXDWG, 97 FXD
Not Ranked     
I recently bought a used 2006 BBC Venom. I bought it because of the price ($15k). It has 600 miles on it, and the driveline(S&S, BDL, Baker), controls(PM), wheels(PM), and brakes(PM) would be almost $20k new.

Could I build it? Yep, but why not buy one already built and tweak it and have less in it?

Check out this shop. www.creeperscustoms.com I ran into them at a local show. They sell budget bikes/choppers and claim they move quite a few of them. Look at what you get for the money. Their bikes have spoke wheels and ultima drivelines to keep the cost down. Not a really bad thing, but you are getting what you pay for....A budget bike. If they build a dozen or so a year and make money on them, I bet its because they are getting decent discounts from suppliers. I doubt right off the bat you will be making as much profit as them on each bike and doubt you will be able to move as many.

I wish you luck if you open a shop, do it part time and keep a full time job to feed the family. Unless you get into repairs, I just cant see how you could support a shop.

FYI, I have been thinking the same way as you for a little while now and I just cant justify doing it full time or a building for it.

Last edited by Redrubicon2004; 02-08-2011 at 06:18 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I would like to use good parts. Is ultima no good? I was planing on using them. Being just myself and having no pay roll I can keep the cost low. And I want to build as many parts by hand as I can. I looked at that site and i don't want to make every bike different. Also I hate spoke wheels so I won't be using those. I want to build bikes to costumer specs. Problem I don't have a costumer

Last edited by liljerry564; 02-10-2011 at 06:37 AM..
Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 CFL
Not Ranked     
When we are faced with working with a customer that
we will lose $38K working with I always suggest that
we don't take the job - we take $6K out of petty cash
go to Cancun for a week - come back to work to start fresh
on something else - and save $32K.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdiamond View Post
Excellent advice. Lean toward doing repairs and maintenance for Harley, American Ironhorse and Big Dog. You'll find that a lot of HD owners are dissatisfied with the HD dealerships who have a rep for fucking up other things while they're repairing something else. Ironhorse is out of business and there aren't many Big Dog dealers scattered across the country. Bottom line, lots of owners go to small shops for service.

On a less technical note, a lot of v-twin riders like going to independent (read: scooter tramp shops) for the ambiance of dealing with "real bikers" because they've been educated somewhat by television and movies. It's the biker mystique at work; making some people believe that you have secret knowedge gleaned from your biker adventures. Have a lot of road signs on the wall and a haf bottle of Jim Beam on your workbench, and you can charge an extra $10/hour. Have a hot slut bring you a sandwich while you're out there showing a client what needs looking at, and you can charge double.

My god that chit is funny!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1976 Shovel
Not Ranked     
Quote:
I would like to use good parts. Is ultima no good? I was planing on using them. Being just myself and having no pay roll I can keep the cost low. And I want to build as many parts by hand as I can. I looked at that site and i don't want to make every bike different. Also I hate spoke wheels so I won't be using those. I want to build bikes to costumer specs. Problem I don't have a costumer
Never say you hate anything to a customer. Better = Recommend mag wheels over spokes because they are stronger and will perfom better for the life of the vehicle. Also, pay attention to the little things. It's the little details that sometimes speak louder than any exhaust or paint job. I had an aircraft manufacturer comment on my ironhead being the cleanest he had ever seen; and it was because of the cleanliness and attention I paid to every little detail; right down to the washers under each nut & bolt.

Ultima has a good reputation. That's a good thing to stay with quality parts. Remember, you aren't steering people to spend more money; you're trying to give them the most bang for their buck and build them a vehicle that can be ridden instead of trailered.

BTW having the ability to paint is a HUGE plus for you. I wish you luck.