Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > DNA Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
First build - beginner questions
Last Post: lorax
Posted On: Today
Replies: 0
Views: 1
WTB: chopper fucker battery box
Last Post: John Spartan
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 7
Views: 3,289
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-13-2019
Replies: 20
Views: 483
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 6,777
Project Blast!
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 953
More...
Old 04-23-2014, 07:01 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Front end

Hi guys, dave in uk, just about to receive my ultima rigid frame 85-101, 34 rake , 250 back, just trying to work out what front end to get, because the parts will be ordered from across the pond I wonder if anyone is using that frame? And what fork length they have and the stance of the bike? I don't want too long a fork, any feedback/pics would be appreciated, thanks. Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2014, 03:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'm using a RSD softail version of that frame and I'm using a Hardbody springer, 6 inches over stock.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:04 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I have a 6 over with 5 degree trees on mine.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks guys, 6 over must be rearing the front up some? Did get some feedback from one of the custom parts suppliers, he stated that frame. (85-101) was designed for stock length forks? Obviously the stance is a personal thing, as long as the bike handles ok, but appreciate the feedback. Dave
Old 04-30-2014, 04:20 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxcobra View Post
Thanks guys, 6 over must be rearing the front up some? Did get some feedback from one of the custom parts suppliers, he stated that frame. (85-101) was designed for stock length forks? Obviously the stance is a personal thing, as long as the bike handles ok, but appreciate the feedback. Dave
I think your parts supplier is mistaken. The frame is 4" up so you would use a longer front end. Here in Australia that frame meets the 550mm ADR rule with a 4" over regular front end or 6" over springer ( the springer is a long story but you get the idea).
That's using a 21" front wheel with a 90/90 tyre.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Re front end

That's interesting, thanks for that, will hopefully get some more feedback from someone using the same frame, as an aside the wife and I do a Harley tour every year, different areas, have done it for the last 9 years, just us the bike and some great roads, as a surprise for my 60th(mar) just gone the wife booked a group tour of the gold coast next mar, starting out in Brisbane, looking forward to that. Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Here is your frame with a DNA 6" over springer. This is basically what I'm building but in a right side drive softail and a 6" over Hardbody springer. The bike in the photo was built by Peter from HogWild choppers here in Australia.

Brisbane is nice you'll have a great time.

Attached Thumbnails
Front end-pirate-hi-res.jpg  
Old 05-03-2014, 04:41 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks for that, so looking at that the inverted forks 4 over should be good, 21 inch front 18 rear, will have to do some sums on the rake calculator to work out the figures, what figures have you got? Again before ordering will need to get it right reference the tree degrees etc, I will hopefully have the funds to order the forks, wheels, and a gas tank, yeh people are saying the aus trip should be awesome. Dave
Old 05-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'll have to dig up all my calculations but it is a little different for a springer due to the rocker arms. Basically with a regular front end you add a few degrees in the trees to get the trail right by pushing out the axle, with a springer you get the extra due to the axle being at the end of the rocker arms. Typically you don't add extra rake at the neck end for springers so my neck cups are 0 degrees but I also have a set of 3 deg neck cups in case I need them. What a lot of guys do here in Oz is to put 3 deg neck cups in backwards so you get -3 deg, this is to bring the front end in so it passes the 550mm inspection, after that you put the 0 deg cups back in.

I expect for a 4" over regular front end you would need 3 deg rake in the trees with a 21 x 2.15" front wheel and a 21 90/90 tyre.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Re front end

Thanks for that, 3 degree in the trees was the way I expected to go, appreciate the feedback it helps a great deal. Dave