Club Chopper Forums

Club Chopper Forums (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/)
-   ChopperKits (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/chopperkits/)
-   -   +17 degrees new chopperkit FXST (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/chopperkits/11021-17-degrees-new-chopperkit-fxst.html)

Dugman 10-08-2004 12:30 PM

+17 degrees new chopperkit FXST

New Chopperkit +17 degrees for FXST Standard, Night Train and Deuce. Take your stock FX softail from 32 to 49 degrees, bolt on in 5 hours. Excellent handling. I have ridden this kit 5mph to ringing its neck. Nothing to adjust, only fits on one way. Patented, T U V / government approved.
http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost...HOPPERKIT1.JPG
Dugman
www.chopperkit.com

johnlawton 10-08-2004 02:07 PM

Uh, wannabe that I do really be, have you ever heard of rake and trail, especially negative trail? Safety issues when bolting on raked triple trees without raking the steering neck?

John

xlchop 10-08-2004 02:15 PM

These kits have a neck adapter that essentially gives the effect of raking the neck. It maintains stock trail dimension. I have one on my Sportster and it handles great.

Dugman 10-08-2004 02:37 PM

xlchop - thanks for sharing your experience with our kit.

johnlawton - yes I have heard of rake and trail ( for many a year ) - these are not " bolt on " raked trees. I appreciate the kit is a little hard to comprehend but thats engineering progress for you.

Dugman
chopperkit.com

007 10-08-2004 02:51 PM

Dug, do you have a close up picture of the neck and trees?

Stonecold_Crazee 10-08-2004 02:52 PM

looks good but gotta ask why does it take 5 hrs to install? if its to complicated to explain dont worry bout it! :cool:

Dugman 10-08-2004 03:22 PM

stonecold - well maybe I am a little slower than I used to be but here is a summary -

dismantle the existing front end removing bearings and races
fit the new top tree with fitted stem and floating bearing
fit new +17 deg. adaptor torqued to 200 k/newtons with the supplied tool and lots of loctite
fit lower tree with sealed bearing
Thats the easy bit
Then
dismantle existing fork legs, stripping out the internals ( its a lovely job with the old fork oil )
Rebuild the new tubes into the existing fork legs, fitting new seals
Compress the new spring spacers onto the existing springs and fit the new stainless top nuts
Fit onto the new trees
Fit the wheel/fender back on.
Fit the new longer stainless brake line and bleed.
Rewire the electrics thru the top tree
There are probably one or two cups of coffee ( or cold beers ) in there.
Out of the last 100 customers, the fastest I have heard of an instal is just over 3 hours with 2 pairs on hands.

007 - I have a good pic of the trees and neck rake adaptor. Will take a bit of time for transfering up here.

Cheers

Dugman
chopperkit.com

xlchop 10-08-2004 03:34 PM

Took me three hours to install my last kit by myself. An extra set of hands would have helped though. Here is a pic of the adapter and the trees on my XL.

http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost.../4164trees.jpg

Dugman 10-08-2004 04:00 PM

xlchop - fantastic pic. 3 hours is the offical world record : )

Dugman
chopperkit.com

007 10-10-2004 11:02 AM

Dug, I tried your web page and couldn't find the new kit or price.

Dugman 10-10-2004 11:43 AM

007 - the new kit is not yet up on the web site. ( Just shows how exclusive this forum is. )

Price is $1,675.00

Dugman
chopperkit.com

TigMan 10-10-2004 05:47 PM

It's similar to the Seager Cyle kit. They look good to me. The kit changes the rake angle of the steering axis and not the neck itself, thats how they maintain a safe trail.......

DaBaTT 10-11-2004 10:25 PM

Dugman:::::

Will the FXST kit fit on my Fatboy 02 frame?

DaBaTT

Dugman 10-12-2004 06:34 AM

DaBatt

Got a bike shop fitting a kit to a Fatboy next week, so will let you have a photo when I get one. The kit is not designed specifically for FL softails as you need to do away with the top fork covers but there is always a way.

Dugman
chopperkit.com

havok215 10-12-2004 09:40 AM

That's a pretty cool setup.
Actually ingenius.
Nice job!