Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > The Chopper Lounge

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
CFL In the West Indies
Last Post: caymanchris
Posted On: Today
Replies: 63
Views: 2,845
Will it sell???
Last Post: 250CFL
Replies: 26
Views: 709
"Not the Normal" builds, from WCC
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Replies: 17,819
Views: 3,402,999
oil seal
Last Post: RedWings
Replies: 17
Views: 1,036
127 Better compression release.
Last Post: STEINBVG
Replies: 7
Views: 162
More...
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Chopped '97 Sporty
Not Ranked     
Republican McConnell filibustered his own bill yesterday

Quote:
Mitch McConnell Objects to Himself. So Do We. - NYTimes.com

Yesterday, [Senate MINORITY leader Republican Mitch] McConnell filibustered his own bill.

Here’s how it happened: In the morning, Mr. McConnell went to Harry Reid, the Senate Majority Leader, and asked him to take a vote on a bill that would allow the president to raise the debt ceiling. That’s the artificial limit imposed by Congress on how much money the government may borrow to make good on past debt. (Please note here: “imposed by Congress” and “past debt.”)

Mr. McConnell’s clever plan was that the Democrats would not be able to muster a regular majority to pass the bill, thus proving to the world (or at least the 18 people who still have the patience to pay attention to Congress) that the Democrats don’t really want to end the pointless fight over the debt ceiling Mr. McConnell cooked up in 2011.

But Mr. Reid consulted with his caucus and found support for the bill, so he went to the floor, offered it and scheduled 20 minutes of debate before an up or down vote.

And that’s when Mr. McConnell may have made Senate history. He rose in objection to his own bill. “Matters of this level of controversy always require 60 votes,” he said. Using the Senate’s phony politesse, he added that he wanted “my friend, the majority leader, to make it 60 votes.”

Mr. Reid said no. “The republican leader objects to his own idea,” he said. “We have a filibuster of his own bill.”

Senator Dick Durbin, the Illinois Democrat who is the Majority Whip, was incredulous. “This may be a moment in Senate history, when a Senator made a proposal and when giving an opportunity for a vote on that proposal, filibustered his own proposal,” he said.
And conservatives wonder why everyone thinks they're stupid.

Last edited by Devils Advocate; 12-07-2012 at 10:18 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 05:21 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 88" ACM Rigid Bobber
Not Ranked     
Sounds like he took a shot, saw it wasn't gonna work, and then stopped it. Evidently Harry Reid wasn't smart enough to make the vote happen but McConnell was clever enough to shut it down. This is a cautionary tale to the Democrats, people will find a way, you raise taxes and people are gonna find a way around it, you shove the ACA down our throats and people will find a way around it...and the Democrats will piss and moan the entire time. BTW, it's George Bush's fault.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Sounds like McConnell is spending too much time on the taxpayers dime playing games instead of working on actually fixing the budget problem.

He isn't the only one either.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Customs
Not Ranked     
Yea, that whole not fixing the budget issues starts with the clown in the whitehouse.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Despite Tax Increase, California State Revenues in Freefall |

Democrats thought they could hammer “the rich” by convincing voters to pass Proposition 30 to create the highest state income tax in the nation. But it now appears that high income earners have already “voted with their feet” by moving themselves and their businesses out of state, resulting in over $1 billion shortfall in corporate and income taxes last month and the beginning of a new financial crisis.

Passage of Proposition 30 set off euphoria and expectations of higher spending for public employees. The California Teachers’ Association (CTA) trumpeted: “California students and working families won a clear victory today as voters clearly demonstrated their willingness to invest in our public schools and colleges and also rejected a deceptive ballot measure aimed at silencing educators, other workers and their unions.”

State bureaucrats immediately ramped up deficit spending far beyond the state’s $6 billion annual tax increase, with the Departments of Health Services and Developmental Services increasing this month’s spending by over $1 billion versus last year. The lower tax collection and higher spending drove the State’s deficit after the tax increase to $2.7 billion for the first 5 months of this fiscal year. State Controller John Chiang reported:

November’s disappointing revenues stand in stark contrast to recent news that California is leading the nation in job growth, has significantly improved its cash liquidity to pay bills, and even long-distressed home values are starting to inch upward… This serves as a sobering reminder that, while the economy is expanding, it is doing so at a slow and uneven pace that will require the State to exercise care and discipline in how its fiscal affairs are managed in the coming year.

The improved “cash liquidity” Chiang referred to turns out to be $24.9 billion of debt.

During the election campaign, Governor Jerry Brown and his pro-tax coalition had the California Board of Equalization request a report from the Stanford Center on Poverty and Inequality, which claimed to have looked at state tax records and found no risk of the super-rich leaving. Based on their access to California state income tax records from 1992 to 2009, the researchers concluded that millionaire migration is a myth by anti-tax advocates and “other factors, such as personal and business contacts, seem to weigh more heavily in deciding where to live.”

The study’s authors, Stanford’s Cristobal Young, an assistant professor of sociology, and Princeton’s Charles Varner, a doctoral candidate in sociology, expounded that the temporary nature of high earnings may help explain why the additional taxes didn’t cause a noticeable flight of millionaires. Top income tax payers seem to fall into and out of the millionaire income bracket as their income rises and falls across the million-dollar mark from year to year.

Personal connections weigh more heavily than tax rates in deciding where to live, and “people are tied to states for different reasons,” Young said. “They don’t want to take their kids out of school; they want to stay connected with friends, with families… with business contacts. People crowd together, from Silicon Valley to New York City, because of the returns associated with collaboration.” The findings dispel the “market metaphor,” in which states advertise low tax rates in a competition to woo high-income individuals. “This is a poor representation of how people decide where to live.”

Young added that looking at the tax flight issue only scratches the surface of state financial woes. “People need to think about the depth of California’s budget problems,” he said. “I think there’s much, much bigger things to worry about than this issue of tax flight because it’s really hard to find any evidence of it… I hope people hear, listen to and absorb what the evidence says on this issue,” Young insisted.

Following the tax increase victory, Reuters published an article titled “Super-rich flight from California? Not so fast.” Authors Jim Christie and Peter Henderson attempted to reassure readers there was very little risk that wealthy Californians would depart for income tax-free Nevada, Washington, and Texas. Although some Silicon Valley business owners had expressed interest in a move after California’s top rate was raised by 29% to 13.3%, they wrote, “business groups from the Beverly Hills Chamber of Commerce to the tech industry policy group TechNet backed the tax, and the state Chamber of Commerce took no position.”

As panic spreads that goosing taxes on the rich may have created enough “tax flight” that the California will actually collect less taxes, there was welcome news that a business had committed to opening in the State. Executives of the 99 Cents Only Stores Inc. proclaimed they would be opening a new location in Beverly Hills on formerly posh Rodeo Drive.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamRock View Post
Yea, that whole not fixing the budget issues starts with the clown in the whitehouse.
They started long before this clown got there.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
They started long before this clown got there.
That's irrelevant, he was voted in to fix the country's economic woes, his opponents said he was going to try to make us more like Europe, well we're on our way to being more like Europe and he won election again so his way is the way it is. He's in charge, he's the boss, that makes him the fall guy, this is all his fault and all his problem, period. I'm tellin' ya, this ACA is going to be a disaster and I'm not really sure if it's designed to fail or if they really think that this can work but when 50 or 60 percent of the population end up in state exchanges we're gonna hear that they never expected that to happen and that's gonna be the excuse for the monetary shortfalls, long waits to get care, and any other problem that pops up. It will be someone else's fault just like every other problem they try to solve, it's the fault of the rich, or the Republicans, or racism, we're almost 50 years into The Great Society and more people are in poverty than when it started, which, BTW is Ronald Reagan's fault and was made worse by George Bush.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2up CFL in progress
Not Ranked     
Hope you never be like Europe,
Old 12-08-2012, 11:54 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
duplicate post

Last edited by Devils Advocate; 12-09-2012 at 12:08 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 11:57 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
Sounds like he took a shot, saw it wasn't gonna work, and then stopped it. Evidently Harry Reid wasn't smart enough to make the vote happen but McConnell was clever enough to shut it down. This is a cautionary tale to the Democrats, people will find a way, you raise taxes and people are gonna find a way around it, you shove the ACA down our throats and people will find a way around it...and the Democrats will piss and moan the entire time. BTW, it's George Bush's fault.
Yeah McConnell was smart enough to

FILIBUSTER HIS OWN F***ING BILL!!!

Or to put that another way he made a complete fool of himself. And you right wingers are so ignorant you not only continue to support him but, in fact, you don't even know how stupid he looks. Cap did it ever occur to you to find out how the gov't actually works before you went and formed all these opinions of yours?

And while you're tossing all these cautionary tales around could you just stop for a moment and recognize the fact that YOUR SIDE LOST THE GOD DAMNED ELECTION! In fact there's a better than average chance that you won't be winning another Presidential election in your lifetime. Which suits me just fine.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
That's irrelevant, he was voted in to fix the country's economic woes, his opponents said he was going to try to make us more like Europe, well we're on our way to being more like Europe and he won election again so his way is the way it is. He's in charge, he's the boss, that makes him the fall guy, this is all his fault and all his problem, period.
Once again you prove that you don't know what the f*** you're talking about. Tell me sumpin' Cap. How do you expect Obama to do his job when Congress isn't doing THEIR job? Do you think this is some kind of dictatorship or something? Do they bother teaching you right wingers ANYTHING in school?

And more importantly why can't you people learn? It's bad enough that you carry all these ridiculous ideas around in your heads but even when its explained to you over and over and over and over you still can't grasp the idea that ALL the President can do is sign bills when they are placed in front of him.

Again if Congress doesn't do its job the President cannot do his. And the ONLY thing the Republicans have done for the last 4 years is stop Congress from doing its job. The treasonous sons of bitches should be taken out and shot.

But AGAIN this is NOT A DICTATORSHIP!!! So we can't do that no matter how much they deserve it.

God how I wish the South would secede.

Last edited by Devils Advocate; 12-09-2012 at 12:19 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
Once again you prove that you don't know what the f*** you're talking about. Tell me sumpin' Cap. How do you expect Obama to do his job when Congress isn't doing THEIR job? Do you think this is some kind of dictatorship or something? Do they bother teaching you right wingers ANYTHING in school?

And more importantly why can't you people learn? It's bad enough that you carry all these ridiculous ideas around in your heads but even when its explained to you over and over and over and over you still can't grasp the idea that ALL the President can do is sign bills when they are placed in front of him.

Again if Congress doesn't do its job the President cannot do his. And the ONLY thing the Republicans have done for the last 4 years is stop Congress from doing its job. The treasonous sons of bitches should be taken out and shot.

But AGAIN this is NOT A DICTATORSHIP!!! So we can't do that no matter how much they deserve it.

God how I wish the South would secede.
See, it's the Republicans fault, evidently Obama isn't as smart as Reagan and Clinton who figured out a way to work with the Congress. Obama is in charge, it's his job to figure out how to make things happen, that's the job of an executive, sometimes your decisions won't be popular and sometimes you won't be able to do everything you want but Obama isn't smart enough to make it happen. Now we have to listen to liberals and most of the media lament that the Republicans are stopping the smartest man ever to hold the Presidency from screwing those damn rich people, and when the ACA goes horribly wrong it will be because the Republicans didn't fund it properly or the States didn't set up the exchanges right because Liberals, by definition, take no responsibility for anything.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Debt explodes under Obama
spending explodes under Obama
Obama says he will cut the def in half
Obama claimed raising debt ceiling was unpatriotic

Obama points fingers for his own failure and stupidity and we suddenly find out we have more stupid people and failure in this country than expected since Obama wins a second election.

He barely won this election, he had 10million less votes than last election. He would have lost to George Bush comparing their elections.

Obama is a failure in every sense of the word except for selling a false message to people who think they are going to get things for free and unions which he bailed out. Oh yea those Auto Bailouts might be getting reversed too because Obama and his team of brainiacs weren't as smart as everyone thinks.
Obamacare has more than enough challenges to the ACA part that it won't get fully implemented. They have found language in the healthcare bill that stands a good chance of making it fold on it's own too.

Yea the next four years will be very rough and rocky due the to ignorance of an electorate that pays more attention to jersey shore, jerry springer than what is really going on but don't hedge on this being the end of Republicans. With a mere 2% win from an election that had 12plus million less voters than the one before it says nothing except people were too disgusted to go to the polls and for good reason.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Just remember Spam

TWO THIRDS OF AMERICANS BLAME YOU IDIOTS!

That's why you LOST the election and why you'll never win another on in your lifetime.

Remember as California goes so goes the nation.

Quote:
California

California’s Republicans Fading into irrelevance
The party of Nixon and Reagan holds not one statewide office in America’s most populous state

California gave America two of its five most recent Republican presidents. But the state party has fallen on hard times since the days of Nixon and Reagan. After having fallen for decades, the number of registered Republican voters in California now stands at just 30% (see chart). With the number of voters expressing no party preference rising fast, the party is in danger of slipping into third place in the state. No Republican holds statewide office in California, and the Democrats enjoy wide majorities in both chambers.

The picture is no prettier when it comes to elections for national offices. Republicans have not won a Senate election in California since 1988. The party now accounts for just 19 of the state's 53 congressmen. The last Republican presidential candidate to take California was George Bush senior. As the most populous state, California holds over one in ten electoral-college votes. But neither Mitt Romney, the presumptive Republican nominee, nor Barack Obama will bother to campaign here—although both regularly drop by to raise funds.

The rot set in in the mid-1990s, says Allan Hoffenblum, a former Republican consultant. In 1994 Pete Wilson, the Republican governor, pushed aggressively for a law to deny public services and benefits to California's growing number of illegal immigrants. This tarnished the Republican brand among Latino voters, many of whom might otherwise have been well disposed to a party with a pro-business, pro-family message. Two years later the Republicans lost their majority in the state assembly. “It's been a downward spiral ever since,” says Mr Hoffenblum.

Still, for years afterwards the Republicans were able to wield great influence as a minority party thanks to a rule that required a two-thirds supermajority in both chambers to pass a budget. But since 2011 a simple majority has sufficed (a supermajority is still needed to approve any tax rises), which is why the Republicans were reduced to impotent grouches during the recent debate.

California's notorious gerrymandering has compounded the problem. Both parties have been pushed towards their respective extremes, but one party must rule and so the effects on the Republicans, as the minority party, have been worse. To win primaries, candidates in safe Republican districts (largely in inland areas) have had to please the conservative base, pledging tough lines on immigration and a stout refusal to compromise with Democrats.

This has left the party with a cadre of representatives several notches to the right of the median voter, and a serious reputational problem. These will be hard to erase even if new primary rules, which came into effect in time for votes on June 5th, succeed in making races more competitive (the jury is still out on this). All this in a state that is already “majority-minority”, and where Latinos are expected to outnumber non-Hispanic whites by 2016.

Little wonder many reckon California's Republicans are doomed to permanent irrelevance outside their inland fiefs.

Last edited by Devils Advocate; 12-10-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
...That's why you LOST the election and why you'll never win another on in your lifetime.

Remember as California goes so goes the nation.
See, you agree with me, you guys won the election, you are in charge, this is all your fault, and yes, California is an great example of how wonderful things are . You don't get to bitch anymore, you're the boss. if it goes bad you get the blame. if it works out(which it won't) you get the credit. I can't wait to here you throw a fit when half the economy is made up of companies with 49 employees working 28 hour weeks and the administration is crying because them damn cooperations and those bastard rich people have found a way around the ACA causing another $3,000,000,000,000 in debt. You sound like a typical big mouth employee who gets a management position and never comes to terms with the fact that if something goes right it's no big deal because things are supposed to go right and when things go wrong it your fault and you're expected to fix it but your idea of fixing an issue is to blame someone else.This is fun