Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > The Chopper Lounge

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

  •  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Oil vs fuel vs transmission line?
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: Today
Replies: 4
Views: 47
99 brake caliper on a 2000 fork?
Last Post: masterjedifocus
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 115
return throttle cable
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 75
Tallest engine in the frame?
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 09-15-2019
Replies: 58
Views: 9,316
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 09-15-2019
Replies: 26
Views: 6,116
More...
  #181 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 02:10 AM
Harley Bob's Avatar
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Leicester, UK
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1200 Sporty custom chopper
Posts: 1,156
Not Ranked     
OK to throw a little more fuel on the fire, when I was on vacation in California a couple of years ago from the UK, the girlfriend and I went to see a well known bike builder (not mentioning any names) anyway we got chatting and one of his crew was there and OCC came up in conversation, he said that ALLEGEDLY the word around the proverbial campfire was that OCC paid $1,000,000 upfront to have the show based on them and that they where not plucked out at random as Craig Piligian originally stated.

Not sure if that's just BS but he said that it was well known around the biking community??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #182 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 04:26 AM
Barefoot Choppa's Avatar
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Barefoot Country, NJ
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 Barefoot Choppa
Posts: 29,062
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastoy View Post
If I dragged you in, that was not my intention. But then again it's like you have your search engine looking for any mention of WCC on the internet and spend 24/7 looking for it.

I'd like to know what caused this obsession with JJ and if there is a cure for it. I only took 2 psyc. courses in college and I don't think they covered deep obsession. We did cover hero worship and your man crush seems to be way beyond that. I never did figure out the Charles Manson girls obsession either.

Seriously, I'm concerned for you, have you considered professional help?
Wow, so I'm not the only one that sees it huh??!!
__________________
...Handle every stressfull situation like a dog...if you can't eat it or hump it...piss on it and walk away...
"if i got all bent out of shape over folks i don't respect... i might wake up with your life"
Reply With Quote
  #183 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 06:28 AM
FRANKTHECRANK's Avatar
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chopperville, ZZ
Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom 2000 FLSTF
Posts: 13,725
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Choppa View Post
Wow, so I'm not the only one that sees it huh??!!

Nah,........out of 34,600 members, there's at least 4 or 5 of you.

But there's only a couple who feel the need to bust my balls all the time.

Remember, I didn't call you out,.............see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Choppa
Frank to the rescue......something negative bout wcc or jj.....who ya gonna call? Not ghostbusters.......but the infamous frankthecrank
He has never ridden a cfl and may never, but will defend them to the end!!!
Whatever floats your boat,..........And you say "I" have a man crush?

I know, I know,.......lighten up Frank, it's all in fun,........yea, I'm rollin, please stop my ribbs are killin me from laughing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #184 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 AM
rastoy's Avatar
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not quite sure, VA
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 01 Fatboy,65 Matchless, 83 V-65, +more
Posts: 6,230
Send a message via AIM to rastoy
Not Ranked     
Not trying to jack this thread (or perhaps I am) - I wonder how many of the 34,600 registered users are still active? I remember the old days when there were at least 1,000 on line every time I looked. Now it's more like 150.

And in keeping in the spirit of the thread - It seem like the current users are those that love or hate OCC and WCC (plus a few of us who swing both ways) and not many more.
__________________
Try to learn something new every day and don't accept everything as fact.

Nevermind, you're hopeless.
Reply With Quote
  #185 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 AM
occparts's Avatar
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jackson, Mi
Bike Year, Make, Engine: Which one?
Posts: 1,128
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode Warrior View Post
Tell me all about their influence on the industry. They have the capabilities to pretty much fabricate anything in that shop, but it's because they bought all the equipment with the TV money. The money didn't come from all their bike sales, as you have pointed out yourself on many occasions. If it did, they would still be working out of Sr's basement and their CNC machine would be a hand grinder.

And yes, it is because they're lucky, lucky to have been picked for the show, at the right time, and lucky enough that it had the soap opera quality that it did. Honestly, where do you think they would be right now if they didn't have the show? What is the shame in that? They just jumped on the bandwagon, like you did, only they helped to fuel the fire with their show, and, unlike you, they raked the money in. They were the Pied Piper and you followed. But rather than admit you made a mistake it's easier to call someone jealous. What have you done with all the money you made from OCC bike sales? What else did you invest in, the Delorean, smokeless cigarettes, the Edsel?

What does it matter how many bikes I've built? Do I need to own Harley Davidson to be able to form an opinion? I did more of my own work on my first bike than Sr. did on any of his. I don't send my parts out for someone else to finish wiring, welding, bodywork, or paint. I was into bikes and cars long before I ever saw American Chopper and will continue to be long after they're cancelled. I'm no wannabee builder, and I have no axe to grind, just being honest. But I will tell you that the bikes I've built were well thought out in advance from a technical standpoint long before I ever started building. I don't believe in form without function. I'm an HVAC contractor and don't pretend to be anything else, and looking at where the custom bike industry is going, maybe you should also consider HVAC.

If anything, they helped the industry by showing the average guy that he too was able to build his own bike. TV is a powerful tool. In my opinion, the impact they have had on the industry is incidental to the show. I will give them credit for selling lots of t shirts, bobble heads, and Pez dispensers to people that don't even own bikes though.
Are you serious? LOL,You can't be serious as to what you are saying. You must be pulling my leg. LOL good one,you had me going for a minute. Especially about the influence thing because like All American said,they have influenced an entire industry and whether or not you like them,eveyone in the industry knows that OCC and JJ had a lot to do with how much this industry has come into the main stream in bike sales and parts sales. As far as to where the equipment came from-what's your point? The fact is that they took some of that money and reinvested it into the business and into the future.And I doubt they would still be working out of Sr's basement regardless. In fact,(there's a word for you-fact)theu had already moved into the 1st shop before they were ever approached by the film company. And speaking of the film company and the million dollars-no factual basis to that statement (geez,there is that nast word again-fact). hhmmm,about the money that I raked in-well it doesn't compare to what they made,never expected it to compare but I recently bought a different shop which is twice as big as the old shop tho I am still being pretty conservative as to what i am buying and stocking. Anyone that is serious about staying in business at the present time is doing the same thing tho when I saw this building at 1/2 price,well I couldn't resist. I also own an automotive repair facility. It is not much fun being in business right now,especially in Michigan but I am not the lone ranger in that respect. And as far as you doing more work on your bike than Sr has done on any of his bikes,well,you obviously are watching the show too much as Sr is perfectly capable of doing a bike from start to finish. He may not be a Nubs in terms of paint but he knows his way around a spray gun. So anyway the bottom line is this,you have a right to your opinion about OCC or anyone else for that matter and I am good with that. But when you start stating things like you have and stating them as if they are factual when in fact,these statements are way off base,then i have a real problem with that.
Oh and btw, a few years ago,I had a new house built and you know what,I installed all of the HVAC myself with help from my son. The inspector stated that the job was better than most of the work he had seen but you don't see me telling everyone how to install HVAC and I dn't pretend to be an expert in the area. I sat down and planned out the air flow,ect and it is very functional. Does it look like art? no but it IS functional. Now I suppose I could have made it a work of art but I was not looking for that only function. Now when these companies or indiduals come to OCC for a bike they all have certain criteria in mind as to what they are going to do with the bike. OCC is very good at interpreting what the customer wants and needs are. It is not always easy to take those wants and needs and turn them into a custom motorcycle. How many times have you heard the customer say that that was exactly what they were looking for in a custom motocycle? Now,there are a lot of builders out there that are capable of building a functional bike but very few of them are able to do what OCC does. The old iron railing business is the same way in that you take something that has a function to it and then make it look good at the same time. Not everyone can do that. It takes an artists touch. Someday you might get it tho I doubt it but that is just my opinion. Oh and as far as the PEZ bike-I like it. It was made for a company who is trying to market a product to kids and that bike definetly does that. It really runs well too and i would ride that bike anywhere. Like Rastoy,I am able to see the art in a bike as well as the function. Do I like every bike-No,but I can appreciate the work and thought behind the bike. I have told you in the past That I like your bike,and I do,but it is not the epitome of what a custom motorcycle should be. matter of fact,I have yet to see a bike which fits that criteria. So get your facts straight,maybe try not be a speader of rumors as if they are facts and we'll all be good. Have a great day!
__________________

JB Customs
2422 W. Michigan Ave
Jackson,Michigan 49202
517-787-8730
jbcustoms.com
Motorcycles are one of life's many pleasures!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #186 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 AM
occparts's Avatar
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jackson, Mi
Bike Year, Make, Engine: Which one?
Posts: 1,128
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastoy View Post
Not trying to jack this thread (or perhaps I am) - I wonder how many of the 34,600 registered users are still active? I remember the old days when there were at least 1,000 on line every time I looked. Now it's more like 150.

And in keeping in the spirit of the thread - It seem like the current users are those that love or hate OCC and WCC (plus a few of us who swing both ways) and not many more.
The lower attendance probably has to do with the haters who are on here and dogging anyone who likes something other than what they like. It happens in forums where the mods try to keep hands off of threads. But you know,sometimes they really need to step in and squas a thread where it gets too personal and people have to start defending themselves from the personal insults and threats. have seen it quite a few times on here. It then gets to the point where it is no longer fun. Remember Gypsy? I could name off a bunch of guys who are no longer on here because it was no longer fun for them after getting trashed by a few players. It is a shame as there is a wealth of information on here by a great many people who are no longer here.
__________________

JB Customs
2422 W. Michigan Ave
Jackson,Michigan 49202
517-787-8730
jbcustoms.com
Motorcycles are one of life's many pleasures!
Reply With Quote
  #187 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 08:31 AM
PART OF THE CREW FUCK OFF
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: boston, ma
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 07 919
Posts: 13,682
Not Ranked     
can we limit post to 20 words..my eyes are watering
__________________
Plasterhead 515..not the brightest bulb on the tree but the last to burn out
Reply With Quote
  #188 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: AUSTIN, TX
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 CFL
Posts: 4,089
Not Ranked     
I built my bike before I ever saw OCC on TV or JJ on TV or
found CC. My ex-wife was a TV Nazi and we didnt have cable.
I now have U-Verse and 5600 stations LOL.
I was just at the Easy Rider show at Carlisle and OCC had some of
their For Sale bikes there - the discontinuity of line in their look is shocking.
It really looks like some geek built a bike from all the wrong (mis-matched parts)
I have never heard anyone discuss the difference in style of how OCC decides on length
of front end like we hear about Jesse. CC folks are always going on about "more agressive stance from a little drop" etc etc. OCC bike dont have a line in their design
to be agressive or not. If you think Im lying go look at them and check out the ridiculous
back fender brace and tail lite setup.
__________________
rasmik
Reply With Quote
  #189 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Rhode Warrior's Avatar
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Gearheadville, US
Posts: 10,017
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdicato View Post
can we limit post to 20 words..my eyes are watering
I think I hit a nerve.
Reply With Quote
  #190 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Rhode Warrior's Avatar
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Gearheadville, US
Posts: 10,017
Not Ranked     
So OCC what are you saying you're leaving the site? Oh well, if you gotta go, you gotta go. I can just see you riding the Pez bike off in the sunset with a little tear in your eye. Get a grip man.
Reply With Quote
  #191 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 11:55 AM
88kicker's Avatar
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: league city, tx
Bike Year, Make, Engine: '04 Flyrite
Posts: 407
Not Ranked     
or press "enter" occassionally...put some seperation in the long one paragraph posts.

occparts, please explain occ's "influence" to the chopper industry. i said it many posts back...how can you be a major influence and an integral part of an industry when no one buys your bikes and no one buys your parts? if no one uses, rides, copies, etc. something you have made, what did you influence? no one other than occ builds theme bikes. never seen one of their parts used on anyone elses builds. never seen an occ bike on the rode.

jj: was building bikes and parts a decade before mm1
sr: was making fancy fences
jj: builds high-end functional bikes using parts made in-house that he designs and sells to other builders and customers
sr: has a son that assembled parts made by others and welded goofy shit to it to fit the "theme" of choice
jj: rides his bikes 1000 of miles at a time and can still be seen today on a motorcycle
sr: rides the shit box around the block. goes everywhere else in his truck.
jj: looks for experts to further his skills to bring it back to his bikes
sr: still has a son that builds theme bikes
jj: moved on to other things on TV. monster garage, dead man, even apprentice(didnt see that one)
sr: still has a son that builds theme bikes...on tv

occ had one good idea, build a theme bike, and have milked that to the bone. 7 years later and its still all about theme bikes. still no one buying their parts. still no one riding their bikes. still no one attempting to copy their style. where is the influence? if so many were inspired by occ to get into choppers, why isnt everyone building and riding theme bikes?

and building what the customer wants? they take the easy approach to theme bikes. tool company? how about parts made from their tools. lawnmower? lets make the wheels look like blades. discovery? weld dinosaur shit to the fender. blah blah. its such an obvious way to portray a "theme." why not build a cool bike? why not tell the customer what is functional and what they recommend be used or the direction it goes? they're suppopsed to be the expert. ill tell you why, there is no need because they know it doesnt get used.

just call it art, corporate lobby art. just say that the millions they have made has little to do with motorcycles. just say they are tv stars and tv merchandisers. but try to refrain from crediting these guys for a chopper revival or their influence...because there is none.
Reply With Quote
  #192 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:08 PM
rastoy's Avatar
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not quite sure, VA
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 01 Fatboy,65 Matchless, 83 V-65, +more
Posts: 6,230
Send a message via AIM to rastoy
Not Ranked     
88 - You've stated no one buys their bikes. How do you know, have you seen their sales reports or financial statements?

If you're basing it on the fact that you've never seen one that's not a good measuring stick. I've never seen a WCC but I'm sure some people own them. For that matter, I've never seen a Flyright yet you own one.

In your list you forgot:
JJ got out of the bike business for a while.
Sr. didn't.
__________________
Try to learn something new every day and don't accept everything as fact.

Nevermind, you're hopeless.
Reply With Quote
  #193 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Rhode Warrior's Avatar
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Gearheadville, US
Posts: 10,017
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastoy View Post
88 - You've stated no one buys their bikes. How do you know, have you seen their sales reports or financial statements?
I was just about to ask that question, which nobody seems to know the answer to. How many bikes does OCC sell? How many did they ever sell? OCCparts, how many OCC bikes did you sell? Is is some kind of military secret?

I'm sure if they sold a lot, the numbers would be quoted everywhere.

I'd be willing to bet that American Ironhorse, among others, outsold OCC by an exponential number and where are they now?
Reply With Quote
  #194 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 PM
jsdiamond's Avatar
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Coolville, CA
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1976 Shovel
Posts: 3,645
Not Ranked     
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that American Ironhorse, among others, outsold OCC by an exponential number and where are they now?
I agree; on bikes, for certain. On licensing (branded accessories) however, OCC may have even out performed Harley-Davidson during some fiscal quarters.
__________________
I take my bourbon, like my women ~ 19 years old and mixed up with coke.
Reply With Quote
  #195 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Rhode Warrior's Avatar
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Gearheadville, US
Posts: 10,017
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88kicker View Post
never seen one of their parts used on anyone elses builds.
I'm not a big JJ fan or a hater, but I will say this, when he decided not to make any more parts, lots of people were crying because there is a huge demand. Lots of people build their own CFL's. How many people are trying to build an OCC bike? Would there be any outcry if OCC stopped selling thier parts? Let's be honest.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0

CC Policy

The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubchopper.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners or moderators. clubchopper.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you or have been given the expressed written consent to post. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). For full policy, please click the "CC policy" link. Thank you for visiting the clubchopper.com
Links monetized by VigLink