Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > The Chopper Lounge

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 20
Views: 460
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 6,757
Project Blast!
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 936
Keep killing batteries
Last Post: waxlrose
Posted On: 10-04-2019
Replies: 8
Views: 503
Battery in cfl battery box
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 10-03-2019
Replies: 11
Views: 605
More...
Old 07-26-2017, 07:00 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
the view up from the inside. turned out as nicely as i hoped it would, and the smell of cedar is bracing. it has faded in the last year since installation, but the rain still brings it back out.

and the karaoke acoustics are amazing. so far, i can get my boy to sing sturgill simpson songs up there like he's playing for a stadium. prior to that, he never would sing or hum a lick anywhere; now, he's a much bolder and eager singer with his class at school, in the car with me, and sometimes even around his mama.

a bluetooth speaker up there and a couple of straw broom air guitars and we're set.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2017, 07:56 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
we again interrupt this treehouse build, to play in the snow a little bit.

the treehouse is dry, but not particularly warm, as it's designed to breathe with the wind in the hot summer. but it sure gets me thinking about ways to address that.

of course, just like kellen and daddy know how to live it up in the snow, we also know how to warm it back up. hot chocolate at the awful waffle!

Last edited by Poop; 07-26-2017 at 04:44 PM..
Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
and while all these leisure activities have been enjoyed, i've been waiting for some special order boards to come in. i ordered two 2" x 16" x 16' treated monsters, and it's taken more than a couple months for the local sawmill to get a good candidate to cut them from. once they got one and cut my boards, they pulled a few days in the kiln to dry out, then processed out for heavy cca treatment.

here, my son inspects our new delivery in early spring.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005, Custom, 100cu; 08 FLSTC, '71 SL70
Not Ranked     
How much do you think it weighs?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 55 Pan, 03 FLHTI
Not Ranked     
Coolest side project ever!

Major props to you, not only for building it, but also for enjoying it with your son. It doesn't get any better than that.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifechoppers View Post
How much do you think it weighs?
eh, no clue, really. even if I did the math all over again and calculated it, it would be only an approximation of its weight now, as the wood has dried out so much. freshly treated lumber always seems more than twice as heavy as it is a year later, although i'm not sure that's entirely accurate, either.

who knows?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB View Post
Coolest side project ever!

Major props to you, not only for building it, but also for enjoying it with your son. It doesn't get any better than that.
thanks, man. that means a lot around here. you're right: i doubt i'll ever regard a moment of it as misspent or wasted.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005, Custom, 100cu; 08 FLSTC, '71 SL70
Not Ranked     
Excellent workmanship. The tree band for the lower support is brilliant - looks like it can expand as the tree does.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:31 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
once again, i called on my father-in-law for help in this project.

for the ladder, i wanted something that felt safer than a typical ladder, but it still had to have a somewhat steep approach because of the limited size of the trap door entry. i liked the idea of a ship's ladder, but instead of added handrails, they could be shaped from the same wood as the stringers (forgive i'd my terminology isn't right) to give a more enclosed feel. this way, the ladder could feel a little more like a chute, and at least there'd be less chances of falling over the sides.

so, the shaping starts with a router and a roundover bit. that little piece on the top is a 2 x 10, for reference.

the finger/thumb grove is cut in several stages, the first being a rounded bottom groove, the second more work with a roundover bit at the top edges of the groove.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:41 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
my father-in-law disagreed strongly in this next step. he's forgotten twice as much as i'll ever know about mechanics, machining, carpentry, and guns, but i still had a strong feeling of confidence that i could use a flap disc on a grinder to finish rounding out the handrail portion of these boards. he felt that it would be too hard to control, produce too much waviness, but in my mind, I was okay with some waviness. i felt it would give it more of a hand-worked feel.

so, i swallowed the lump in my throat and jumped on in.

the above was accomplished in two passes, the first with a 7" grinder and flapper, the second with a 4-1/2. so far, so good.

Last edited by Poop; 07-27-2017 at 06:44 AM..
Old 07-28-2017, 05:47 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
also with the routing work on these were seats for the steps. since we have a full 2" to work with on either side, the seats are a deep 5/8" each.

because of the radius bit used to rout the seats, the front corners of the seats are more rounded than the 2x6 steps. once again defying my father-in-law's good advice, i addressed this with a flap disc freehandedly, rather than with a rasp.

good enough for treehouse tolerances...

mock up:

Old 07-28-2017, 06:02 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
after mock up, i went to lowe's and got some long plastic pans for drywall mud, or something like that. these were long enough to stand the two stair stringers in while i soak them in wood preservative. even though these are treated boards, i wanted to soak them in that heavy green smelly copper preservative solution, so that they could resist ground-born rot for as long as possible.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2017, 08:35 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Pro street 121" TP and 100" rigid Shovel
Not Ranked     
Just amazing Poop. The rope tricks are really clever.
So when did you do this project? 2016? or longer?
Is it finished today or still working on it?
Old 07-29-2017, 04:46 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
thanks, bob! started summer '14, "finished" a month ago. i say "finished" rather than finished, because there will still be improvements to be made, like shelves, custom stools, window lift supports, stain...

but the official declaration "finished" releases me from my vow of commitment, again allowing me to fish, go to the gym (shouldn't have neglected that for two years), go to the range, and work on bikes. also, i may have to tackle some home projects, at home.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:50 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
it was drawn out for several reasons. first, labor issues. it was supposed to be a joint project, and my dad lost interest. second, my son's issues always came first. third, work also took precedence, and my job occasionally requires weekend paperwork. fourth, marriage. fifth, i've never done this before, and ideas don't always come quickly. especially that.