Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > The Chopper Lounge

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 20
Views: 462
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 6,757
Project Blast!
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 937
Keep killing batteries
Last Post: waxlrose
Posted On: 10-04-2019
Replies: 8
Views: 503
Battery in cfl battery box
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 10-03-2019
Replies: 11
Views: 605
More...
Old 07-15-2017, 06:11 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
finally, all six done. that lath stripping was some serious work.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
and now, a gazillion cedar shingles...

Old 07-15-2017, 05:01 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
... which, incidentally, make for one powerful air freshener in your car.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
figuring out the cedar shingles biz...

1st panel down.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:49 AM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
the second panel to shingle has the side-sloped bottom line, a trunk breach, and the steepest slope on the roof, which makes it difficult and tiring to work on, because every move i make sends me sliding. but, slowly, we're getting there.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:32 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Pro street 121" TP and 100" rigid Shovel
Not Ranked     
Beautiful work, you are quite the craftsman. How did you seal the edge where the shingles butt up to each other? And how will you seal around the tree branch openings?
Old 07-16-2017, 05:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortolabob2 View Post
Beautiful work, you are quite the craftsman. How did you seal the edge where the shingles butt up to each other? And how will you seal around the tree branch openings?

Yeah, I was wandering too. Plus, the branches grow in time. Is there some kind that of rubber flashing( a gasket lol)?
But you know what, poop?
I hate you...now my kids make want me to build someone like that, but using several smaller trees as posts. By NJ standards, I have pretty big property- 20 acres of woods.

One day , perhaps..One day.

Great job. We have quite a talented bunch here at CC.

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber
Old 07-16-2017, 12:08 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortolabob2 View Post
good question, but for clarification: the breaches through the roof are treated differently than those through the wall. for the sake of this conversation, i'll try to remember to refer to the roof breaches as trunk ones, and the one through the wall as limb breaches. i don't claim that these are necessarily the correct terms, just the ones i'll try to stick by for clarity.

all of these issues will be addressed in posts in the very near future, with pics.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEINBVG View Post
Yeah, I was wandering too. Plus, the branches grow in time. Is there some kind that of rubber flashing( a gasket lol)?
But you know what, poop?
I hate you...now my kids make want me to build someone like that, but using several smaller trees as posts. By NJ standards, I have pretty big property- 20 acres of woods.

One day , perhaps..One day.

Great job. We have quite a talented bunch here at CC.
vitaly, like i mentioned to bob, my answer to those will be documented. there is space left around each breach for movement, particularly as you can see around limbs through walls, as they can get to swaying much more than the trunks above. but they are all allowed space.

that said, there is a flexible solution to bridge the hard structure to the trunk, as well as a pretty sweet idea i picked up from a brazilian treehouse guy that brings a pretty fresh approach to the issue. that will come close to the end of the series.

as for pressure from your kids... sorry about that. but do you have four bikes? i'm not sure i can help you out with how to answer your kids, then! better get cracking!

i'd be happy to share ideas if you decide to do something. i've learned a bit since i started this one, and would do a few things differently.

Last edited by Poop; 07-17-2017 at 03:18 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
one idea, vitaly: depending on their age, build them a platform, and put them in charge of the rest. maybe require their plans be submitted for approval and discussion, and maybe perform various "building inspections" in the made up persona of some annoying guy from the local government, to give some oversight, but largely shirking the burden of design/build onto them. it would be a great learning experience for them. and you'd have a great opportunity to teach them a few things in a setting in which they'd be eager for your help, not weary of dad telling them how to do everything.

ehh, just ideas. but thanks for the compliment.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
on to number 3 of 6 panels to be shingled. another sloped bottom one, with a larger trunk breach.

in this second pic, the product on the left is a foil type tape with an asphalt/adhesive type backing. with it, i'll flash around the roof breaches starting at the bottom of the slope going on up to the top, like you would a skylight or roof vent. the cool thing with this is that i'm creating the flexible flashing vitaly mentioned above, allowing for tree movement. also, keep in mind this this is one of several steps to waterproof each breach.

and here, the flashing tape in action. the stuff does a pretty good job adhering to itself, laying a flexible foundation for the next layer.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
and now for the next layer of protection at the trunk breaches through the roof: rubberized asphalt roofing cement. it's a great way to waterproof the gap that can change second-by-second in a heavy storm, with different parts of the tree swaying in different directions.

posting this pic again not by mistake, but because it contains one of two products used in this step: the fiberglass gauze. this is important in giving the flexible cement some structural integrity.

and now, the application: it takes days or weeks for this cement to cure. i found doing this roof in stages that it cures better during long periods without heavy rain, although there are some versions that apparently can be applied even during that kind of weather. this product also has fiberglass strands in it, which i hope will help keep it from cracking when the tree moves.

and now, after the cement has had a while to set up (i can't remember if it was a day or a week), i add shingles above the halfline of the trunk. this helps to ensure water is directed over the cement flashing, and not into it.

last in this step, the largest breach, which incorporates all of the six panels, and will require the hips between panels (as bob inquired) to be sealed up, so that the top flashing directs water over those hip seals, and not into or under.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
cedar shingle roofs typically use alternately overlapping, bevel-cut shingles to cap the hips. it's how it's been done forever, but i shied away from it for two reasons.

first, the shingles are somewhat delicate, particularly at their edges, and i thought long bevel-cut planks would be thicker, and more stable.

second, it was a whole lot easier than cutting all those shingles, and i was weary.

so, the long planks capping the hips were beveled in two ways. first was the traditional bevel along the length that allowed one side to slightly overlap the other, matching the angle of the hip. second was because i could not procure easily (read, not stocked locally) planks long enough to fully cover two of the six hips, so i would have to overlap an upper plank over a lower plank.

if what i just typed didn't quite make sense, it's all in the two pics below. added in is some of that quad sealant (stuff seems pretty badass), and not a drop is getting through the hip ridges.

Last edited by Poop; 07-17-2017 at 03:22 AM..
Old 07-16-2017, 01:09 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
another inconsistency with the plank idea for capping hips: the planks are eastern white cedar, rather than western red. big fucking deal, i thought. but as you can see, the color is much different. i hoped that as it weathered and grayed out, it would resolve itself. instead, it was not only a color issue, but a texture one, as well, and everytime i drove by the site (it's about a hundred yards from the road) it plucked my fucking nerves. it wasn't the first time i'd done and then later redone something because of that feeling.

so, i decided to go ahead and weave a shingle pattern right over top of those planks. it looked much better, but now that the hips are raised 5/8" over the rest of the roof, it does stand out in my eye a little. however, i do know that my roof hips are mfing watertight no matter what, and so i'm cool with it.

oh, and bevel cutting all those shingles and getting them exactly the right width and all was at least as much fucking work as i was afraid it would be. difference was, i ended up doing it anyway, even after initially trying to shortcut the process.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:15 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
once that's done, i follow the two steps outlined above to seal the top gap, using first the flashing tape from bottom to top,

then applying rubberized, reinforced asphalt roofing cement along with fiberglass gauze over that. the crotch sitting in the middle of it all got filled and shaped, as well, as it would otherwise tend to hold water that would undermine the integrity of the seal.

the final step in waterproofing these breaches comes from a different angle, figuratively, and will be shown later.