Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
First build - beginner questions
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-18-2019
Replies: 23
Views: 338
WTB: chopper fucker battery box
Last Post: John Spartan
Posted On: 10-14-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 3,450
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Posted On: 10-13-2019
Replies: 20
Views: 585
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 7,012
Project Blast!
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 1,071
More...
Old 01-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
What would cause my crank case vent to puke oil

I have not taken a ride outside of my street on my chop since I got it started, due to the timing being off. But everytime I start it up to mess with the timing it pukes oil out of the crankcase vent! What would be some of the issues/ reasons for it?? TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
are you sure the crankcase breather gear is in time? What type motor we talkin about?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings View Post
are you sure the crankcase breather gear is in time? What type motor we talkin about?
No. I'm not sure of anything that has to do with timing. I am at the point where I want to just pay someone to get the timing done. Its an 89 evo with 4-valve heads. Any suggestions welcome.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
not knowing your situation, I would have you or someone pull the nosecone and make sure the alignment marks are lined up. Drain the bottom end before going that route then start it up and see how long it takes to puke. This is just 1 of many things that could be wrong.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Harley Custom Bobber 80" Evo
Not Ranked     
Could be the check ball in the oil pump is letting oil in.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: multiple
Not Ranked     
check the easy....

check the easy stuff first! Check ball is most likely the culprit - especially if it hasn't been a problem before, and its been sitting awhile.

Could be as simple as some debris preventing ball from seating. Don't ever overlook the simple stuff first!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
Could be the check ball in the oil pump is letting oil in.
I started it today...before I saw this post. And if just had a couple of drops, and not like before. It seemed alot better. Maybe it worked out the oil that was trapped in there. But, I will check that tomorrow. I never would have thought of checking that. Thanks dude.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan63 View Post
check the easy stuff first! Check ball is most likely the culprit - especially if it hasn't been a problem before, and its been sitting awhile.

Could be as simple as some debris preventing ball from seating. Don't ever overlook the simple stuff first!
I dont know what the small stuff would be. Im a rookie at motors and admit it. But, thanks I will let you guys know tomorrow on the results.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I would have said your motor was stuffed, but then I googled it. It seems the answer could be: 1. Wet sumping due to sitting for a while and oil gravity feeds around the ball and into the bottom of the cases.
2. A bit of crud stopping the ball from seating properly and oil drains around it.
3. If the motor doesn't fire quickly in the starting cycle, it can draw oil down from the tank, but there isn't enough crankcase pressure to push it back to the tank.

Ain't Google wonderful.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:57 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: multiple
Not Ranked     
sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamchop View Post
I started it today...before I saw this post. And if just had a couple of drops, and not like before. It seemed alot better. Maybe it worked out the oil that was trapped in there. But, I will check that tomorrow. I never would have thought of checking that. Thanks dude.
sorry, shouldn't have worded it that way - but before you start dis-assembling the nosecone, etc - wait for more input. Look at the responses you've gotten - MOST say check the check ball first - it is the most common cause.
(and it is the simplest thing to check first!) Got a Clymer's manual for your bike? Or the Harley D. service manual? If not, should be the first thing you buy - no exception.

then, evaluate the responses - check the easiest things first!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O'Hanlon View Post
I would have said your motor was stuffed, but then I googled it. It seems the answer could be: 1. Wet sumping due to sitting for a while and oil gravity feeds around the ball and into the bottom of the cases.
2. A bit of crud stopping the ball from seating properly and oil drains around it.
3. If the motor doesn't fire quickly in the starting cycle, it can draw oil down from the tank, but there isn't enough crankcase pressure to push it back to the tank.

Ain't Google wonderful.
I believe #3 is the culprit. But, today I will check the ball to see if it was/ is stuck. Thanks guys
Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Harley Custom Bobber 80" Evo
Not Ranked     
There could have been some trash keeping it from seating and has passed on through..