Club Chopper Forums

Club Chopper Forums (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/)
-   Chopper Builder's Log (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/chopper-builders-log/)
-   -   Those Who Don't Remove PC from Engine\Trans Mounts (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/chopper-builders-log/93070-those-who-dont-remove-pc-engine-trans-mounts.html)

36kings 12-15-2011 04:50 AM

Those Who Don't Remove PC from Engine\Trans Mounts

Hey All,

If you are following my build you will notice that I decided not to remove the PC from the Motor and Trans Plate Mounts.

For those that don't remove the PC or Paint, do you do anything extra to ground the engine?

Some don't, some do..

For instance, do you connect a ground from starter to bare frame mount...

I have read that some don't do anything, just want to gauge the thoughts of others.

Thanks,
Jeb

MotoXcycle 12-15-2011 05:27 AM

The paint or powder coat will give and make everything loose, that`s why people remove that, not for ground.

36kings 12-15-2011 05:58 AM

That’s debatable and not entirely true. I know of some builders that have never removed the PC\Paint and have had no issues, have also read it on here.

Almost a 50-50 split.

So back to my actual question.. Anyone else..??

Cowhunter 12-15-2011 06:07 AM

Left paint on with no problems. 6ga. ground to starter and 10ga. ground from batt to frame.

Mike

Wicked80 12-15-2011 06:45 AM

If you've ever seen a busted primary and the corresponding busted sealing lip on the engine case from a shifted trans you would know which way to go. I remove all paint/pc. The pc will eventually crumble under the mounts.

Vince81World 12-15-2011 06:52 AM

I always re-tap and clean out the thread holes but all my frames(90% of them) are chromed.
But to answer the question-YES...clean out,re-tap and run it through ALL the threaded bolt holes on your frame,fenders & hardware after paint or powdercoat.
it's cheap insurance that the threadlock and threads will adhere nicely and you'll have NO ground issues...
oh yeah....just grind bare an *EXACT* sized tab for your ground applications
(1/2" x 1/2" should be fine- I do it on the painted & powdercoated frames-chrome doesn't need it).
Vince
VS Custom Motorcycles LLC
Huntington Connecticut
(203)305-1923

moespeeds 12-15-2011 07:10 AM

I've seen 2 bikes with problems relating to PC under the engine. One with a cracked primary and the other with a cracked top motor mount. Even if you keep a close eye on it, you're setting up the next owner for a royal ass fucking. Clean it off, it makes sense and it's good building practice.

pan63 12-15-2011 07:18 AM

guess you'll...

guess you'll eventually find out what is wrong with leaving PC on - - best practice is to remove it. Can't possibly hurt at all to remove it, and only real reason to leave it on is, i'm guessing, being lazy....doubt anyone can try to justify why its better to leave it on....lol

Rhode Warrior 12-15-2011 07:45 AM

I left the paint on and it eventually wore down to the bare metal, the powdercoat will too. I also grounded the frame and starter separately.

pan63 12-15-2011 07:58 AM

what did you do...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhode Warrior (Post 1159900)
I left the paint on and it eventually wore down to the bare metal, the powdercoat will too. I also grounded the frame and starter separately.

what did you do with the gap from the now worn down paint/ PC? Sure, its small - but now mount bolts can't possibly be tight. Why not deal with it up front, and prevent possible problems? Same has to happen to trans. How can you possibly maintain proper trans. / motor alignment with a gap, caused by worn out paint / PC? It can only become a source of problems - and sometimes costly repairs.

I've never had to worry about separate grounds on any build. A good ground tab, with high quality cables, should be fine.

Rhode Warrior 12-15-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pan63 (Post 1159901)
what did you do with the gap from the now worn down paint/ PC? Sure, its small - but now mount bolts can't possibly be tight. Why not deal with it up front, and prevent possible problems? Same has to happen to trans. How can you possibly maintain proper trans. / motor alignment with a gap, caused by worn out paint / PC? It can only become a source of problems - and sometimes costly repairs.

I've never had to worry about separate grounds on any build. A good ground tab, with high quality cables, should be fine.

I Just tightened the bolts on the engine and transmission. Never had a problem with it. I meant to say I grounded the starter and engine, not the frame. I ran a separate ground to one of the engine mounting bolts.

rastoy 12-15-2011 10:00 AM

This has been discussed a lot. I don't remove powder because Harley doesn't remove it - and I've never seen a problem with any of my HD's. All my bikes, except 1 have powder. I didn't remove it on my painted one (I painted it well over 20 years ago) and had no problem there. One thing, I do check the torque on all my bolts every so often.
Never had any lower motor bolts that needed to be re-torqued - I have had several upper motor mount bolts that did.

FRANKTHECRANK 12-15-2011 11:09 AM

When you do choose to remove paint and powder,........what keeps the bare steel from rusting?

It seems, even if the bare area is cut exactly like the mating surface, there's still no way to eliminate moisture from rain, or washing the bike, from getting to the bare metal. :confused:

Rhode Warrior 12-15-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRANKTHECRANK (Post 1159928)
When you do choose to remove paint and powder,........what keeps the bare steel from rusting?

It seems, even if the bare area is cut exactly like the mating surface, there's still no way to eliminate moisture from rain, or washing the bike, from getting to the bare metal. :confused:

There's probably a small amount of rust in there.

chopperfugger 12-15-2011 11:25 AM

Living in Texas prevents rust.