Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
First build - beginner questions
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 23
Views: 316
WTB: chopper fucker battery box
Last Post: John Spartan
Posted On: 10-14-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 3,388
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Posted On: 10-13-2019
Replies: 20
Views: 573
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 6,903
Project Blast!
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 1,026
More...
Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKO6 View Post
One thing to keep in mind on those motor mounts is ease of removing the motor from the frame once the mounts are all welded up. I am helping a buddy put a late model (rubber mount) Sportster motor in an early model rigid frame. We realized early on that the fabricated mounts would need to accomodate removal of the motor and built mounts that were bolted to welded bosses in the frame.

Keep the pictures comming, your project is cooler than hell..!!
Dude...Absolutely! I have had some projects where I was really impressed with my fabrication skills only to realize that my planning sucked. In this case, removing the front motor mount will allow the motor to slide forward out of the rear mount.

Bob

Handcrafted Bikes & Hotrods
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 124" S&S Pro Street, 2010 Road King
Not Ranked     
Awesom project......I can't wait to see how you solve the plumbing.
C'mon Scary, theres a decending order of cool and WCC is at the top, we all know its true and the only thing that would make me cooler would be a bike with a vagina I could fuck start in front of 7-11 during a scratch off banaza sale. Cole 02/15/09
Old 01-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 Barefoot Choppa
Not Ranked     
Wow.....cool as hell project....and mad skills!!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 73 xl 1000
Send a message via Yahoo to vivisix
Not Ranked     
very cool build. I love watching the from scratch builds from guys with skills.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: The VTR thread in Metric Choppers
Not Ranked     
Really enjoying this Thread mate.
I'm learning to build my own Frames at the moment so it's great to see how others do it.
Keep it coming bud
Make the Bastard Chase you! He will follow!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
So, I knocked out the rear axle and adjusters last week. Put the wheel back on with the belt so I could check clearance. Well....Crap!

As you can see in the last pic, the clearance is a little tight. I really thought I had enough space when I was fitting up the frame. I know I checked it several times.
So what to do now? I considered a smaller rear pulley but that is probably not going to happen considering this is the only 21mm pulley I know of that doesn't use a compensator. So my solution is to run an idler that will push the belt down.

This is what I came up with. Machined this out of aluminum. I ordered some double sealed bearings that will press into this. I.D. of the bearings is 1/2" and I will probably mount the assembly using a shoulder bolt.

I'm still trying to decide on location. I would like to mount it closer to the rear like the first pic but, I'm a little concerned that the torque of the belt combined with the leverage of being that close to the pulley may cause problems. The other option is to mount it more toward the middle as in the second pic. There would be less leverage working against it in that location but I don't know that I like the looks of it there. Opinions are welcome.

Bob

Old 02-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom Santee/RevTech 100
Not Ranked     
You're gonna snag your sack in that idler pulley....OUCH!! Damn nice fab/machine skills. It'll be the quickest chopper on the streets!!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010 Custom EVO
Not Ranked     
Looking forward to seeing what you do with the radiator.

And I'll bet there are several suits at the MOCO that are hanging on your every post for the same reason . . .

Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Location: Bronx, New York,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, NY
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 NYMC DESIGN Knucklehead
Not Ranked     
Your doin a bang up job on this one.....I'm really lookin forward to watching the progress. Very impressive on the fab end of this build so far.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Great build so far. Question about your axle adjusters, aren't they the wrong way? Do you not need to "push" the axle towards the back of the bike? Or are they sleeved as in a collar around the axle and "pulling" back on the axle with the wing nuts? One more thing, an idler pulley is a band aid at best and will be your weakest link in the final drive. I know some manufacturers use them (buell) but to me is a poor design as in an afterthought.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04 Venom Pro Street, 06 Softail Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Force
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Excellent thread
Keep the pics and info coming. This is the shit I love!
BTW, that is gonna be 1 cool ass ride.

"127 cubic inches of Frame Crackin, Tank Splittin fun"
Old 02-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Honda Z50, FZR1000, Wishbone Bobber,
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Choppa View Post
Great build so far. Question about your axle adjusters, aren't they the wrong way? Do you not need to "push" the axle towards the back of the bike? Or are they sleeved as in a collar around the axle and "pulling" back on the axle with the wing nuts? One more thing, an idler pulley is a band aid at best and will be your weakest link in the final drive. I know some manufacturers use them (buell) but to me is a poor design as in an afterthought.

I have to agree about that idler pulley-these are great when incorporated into chain tensioners but are a band-aid solution in this case.

It would be better to re-work the frame so the proper clearance is designed into the frame.

I know how it really sucks to have to take some of the frame apart in order to make things work. But in the end you will have a better motorcycle.

Great postings Bob-it great to see someone using the V-Rod motor to build a custom bike. Can't wait to see the finished bike!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Choppa View Post
The axle adjusters are sleeved around the axle and pull the axle rearward. As for the idler, that was my point in posting this part up. I made a mistake and I figured I'd man up to it and show it. I could just skip over this in the thread but I think that would be kinda chicken shit. It happened and it's part of the build so I included it. I don't think it's bad enough for me to scrap the frame and start over (though I considered it) so I'm making the best of the situation and keeping my integrity intact. If you choose to call it poor design, that's your perogative. I did ask for opinions and I certainly respect yours. There will be plenty of things on this bike that people will hate and things people will love. The truth is, an idler is a perfectly acceptable solution and will actually fit into the theme of the bike.

Bob

Old 02-09-2010, 06:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 War Eagle, 113" S&S
Not Ranked     
Thanks for being honest! Cool build! The idler should be OK or it's still not too late to convert to a chain.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Bob, don't take it the wrong way, you yourself said "crap" knowing that the clearance may be an issue. I'm just not a fan of idler pulleys or sprockets in the final drive. I have seen them literally rip off a bike (chain). I still believe it will be your weakest link in the final drive as there will be alot of tension on that bolt and the bearing. Here's a suggestion, replaceable teflon block bolted to that part of the frame for the occasional "slap". What you're doing here is awesome and I give you alot of credit. Perception of the significance and nature of events after they have occurred comes to mind. Keep up the great work as I will be following this till it's full fruition.