Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
First build - beginner questions
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-18-2019
Replies: 23
Views: 338
WTB: chopper fucker battery box
Last Post: John Spartan
Posted On: 10-14-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 3,450
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Posted On: 10-13-2019
Replies: 20
Views: 585
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 7,012
Project Blast!
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 1,071
More...
Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
i want to build a bike

i would love to build a bike. The problem is I don't make a lot of money. i would love to build one as cheap as possible.
what steps should i take?
whats the cheapest i can build one for?
what are the necessities for a CA plated bike?
my budget will be as close to 3k, i don't mind used or free part's. begger's cant be chooser's.

what i know i will need:
frame
front/back rim and tire's
wiring harness
blinker's
head light
tail light
motor complete
seat
break's

what else is needed ?

thanks for the help. i know these are noob questions.

thanks
Luis
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2009, 05:05 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006 softail
Not Ranked     
get a used buell, build a bike based on the sporty....then part out the buell on egay....prob be the "cheapest" way of building something...my .02
Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom
Send a message via Yahoo to pushrod243
Not Ranked     
A 3k budget prolly wont get you a Buell build but there are lots of non HD builds on the forum that can be built within your budget. Also consider a sporty build maybe a weld on hard tail on a stock sporty frame? The cool part about a weldon and stock frame there are no titling issues. Be careful with older ironhead Sportys they take a good patient mechanic to keep them running but the EVO sportys are getting cheap ion todayts economy. Use them as a stepping stone to what your dream build would be. With each builds comes knowledge you can incorporate in your next build. Selling the first and using that cash to start your next build can help you towards building your dream bike. The days of getting rich building and selling are gone but you can recoup most of your costs of the parts on a budget build. Remember there are still guys out there who would never dream of attempting to build a bike but would love to have one.
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
www.scootersperformance.com
(four0seven)330-2056

Old 05-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom Rigid
Send a message via Yahoo to Milenko
Not Ranked     
Find a 70's or 80s era Honda and you can build a cool bike, for almost nothing - you will have cash left over for insurance and all the other stuff...
Old 02-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: custom build chopper
Not Ranked     
yea a honda build will probly b th cheapest
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
Luis my man, you ain't gonna build a big twin for that kind of cash and I know you don't want to ride something that sounds like a lawn mower so find yourself an old 650 trumpet and start choppin. They run and look good plus they're cheap to work on. Check ebay, there's always chopped trumpets there for way under 3k
Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom 2000 FLSTF
Not Ranked     
Here's an awesome start, right in your price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-...item20af6aefb1
Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010 Custom EVO
Not Ranked     
And this old Trumpy . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-Tr...item45f0f944d7

One issue here is the seller included this: "NOTE: BIKE IS FOR SALE LOCALLY AND MAY BE PURCHASED OFF EBAY. I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO END AUCTION AT ANY TIME.

I really dislike that tactic when selling. And you see it on a lot of "no reserve" auctions. I looked into it as I thought it was prohibited on E-Bay. From what I could find out, you can end an auction (for any reason) up to a certain time before the end, even one with bids. But you can't do it minutes before the end if you don't like the highest bid. But people do it anyway and no matter the repercussions to the seller the high bidder is still screwed.

I also think you can report auctions which include "I reserve the right to end auction at any time" and E-bay will pull the ad but I'm not the rat type.

Sellers should just start the bidding at what they are willing to take and stop with the BS . . .

Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 CFL 127" elbruto w/ D carb, 6 speed
Not Ranked     
I saw that bike on CL. he wanted $3500 firm. Same type of tough ass ad. he is still selling on CL and if he gets an offer outside of ebay he will ends the sale, thats not the first add i have seen like this either. Looks like a pretty good bike . It dont think it will bring what he wants.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010 Custom EVO
Not Ranked     
I always figure when they put that local angle in there, every one local already looked at it in person and passed on the bike or the price, or both.

I know it's a scary thing to do, but if you just put it up as a no reserve auction starting at 99 cents, and let the market work for you, you'll generally get just what it's worth . . .

If you don't have the balls for that just stick a ridiculous "buy it now" price on it and hope for a sucker.

Last edited by NickD; 02-10-2010 at 02:49 PM..
Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1976 Shovel
Not Ranked     
Like pushrod said.

And also you need to decide first, what kind of engine you want. Harley big twin? Buell? Harley Sportster? Metric (japanese or british)? This will help you define your goal. Then go from there; what style of chop do you want? Traditional long bike? Bobber? Japanese bobber (also known as "brat" style)?

Example: A Japanese metric chopper can be built for under $2k easily. A bobber style Japanese metric ("brat") can be built for under $1k.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Rigid in the works
Not Ranked     
Bottom line, if you really want to build a bike than do it, you can talk about it until you're blue in the face or you can find a frame and just do it! I'm not being a smart ass here by any means but for me personally I almost talked myself out of it a million times because I'm always scraping for cash and it would have been the worst thing I ever did. I've been working on it for a couple of years now and don't regret a thing! Get an idea of what you want to build. scour club chopper parts for sale, ebay, flea markets, craigslist, you name it. Nothing is off limits and learn to negotiate to get the most for your money. I recently posted up some pictures of some pipes I bought from a club chopper member for $50.00 and refinished them. You would be amazed at how you can make something out of nothing. Once you get going your eyes and ears will always be open to parts that you can use or come across.-Drew
My $50.00 pipes, I traded parts to make the seat, brake discs from ebay, ect ect. Good luck --Drew

Last edited by Andrew C; 02-10-2010 at 03:44 PM..
Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Shovel
Not Ranked     
Drew is right. I am building on a budget as well. I'm not as far along as Drew, but for around $5000 my bike should be finished.

I also agree on the Triumph chops. I am also wanting to get one to rebuild as well. You can buy a pretty decent running bike for around $2500 and sometimes they already are hardtailed.