Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: Poop
Posted On: Today
Replies: 12
Views: 1,331
5 speed quadseal and enclosed primary
Last Post: Am4wag
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 62
Mounting WCC belt guard on Brute V
Last Post: modekko
Posted On: 07-13-2019
Replies: 1
Views: 47
Starting a New Build but its not a CFL
Last Post: masterjedifocus
Replies: 8
Views: 891
bmc
Last Post: pushrod243
Replies: 2
Views: 102
More...
Old 03-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Ultima 127
Not Ranked     
Gargantua! First Full Build -Ultima 127

I just picked up a gigantic project (at least for me)....
Frame from Straight-Up Choppers
Engine: Ultima 127c.i
Trans : Ultima 6 speed
CA Compliant 127 motor-6 speed RSD with-330 rear tire... Carb Compliant ignition module, full wiring harness, air ride suspension with compressor. 2+ inverted forks, 40* on the neck and 6* on the trees.
twisted spoke front wheel, 21x4 in front 18x14 twisted spoke rear wheel with Avon Cobra tires.

I found this chopper project where absolutely everything was in boxes....the previous owner ordered almost everything to put together a chopper but never started it.
I'm not new to customizing bikes but my forte is custom painting and I mess around with everything else.
For sure I've never fully built anything other than my 9yo kid's mini chopper lol... So, Ill be having LOTS of questions for you all in here if that's OK. @shovel52 has already been providing some advice *thank you.
I've started to mockup all major components in the last couple of days just to have a rough idea of what is missing.
in all honesty, I don't even know where to start so any guidance will be immensely appreciated.
Mauricio

Picture here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vafou2njug...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2019, 06:58 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ok... was trying to muck up a couple more things and now I feel like I’m missing a part...
Please the picture here https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzhvc8qola..._2432.JPG?dl=0
So, we are looking at the couch here but the is a whole in the primary that has nothing coming through from the starter side ...
Isn’t there and shaft of something coming from the starter ?
I’ve been going through all the boxes but can find anything like it that could go there
Old 03-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Yes , that is where the starter jack shaft gear sticks through, it pops out and en gauges the larger ring gear..first install the starter and that small gear installs from this side..here is a picture of it..
And then there is a support piece that installs over the end to stablize it..which in your case may just be the primary cover..You also have the bushing missing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=harl...KnoHQ5BC_-kCM:

Looking at your battery box, which is kind of small...the beast likes lots of food when cranking...I went through a long trial with batteries, and ended up with
an oversize lead acid battery..the lithiums ..not hot enough...I had to slightly modify my box..something you should investigate before you run out and buy
something too small..Here is the one I ended up with..take the dimensions and see if it will fit..looks like you may be able to cut the back of your seat pan and make it fit..

https://www.throttlexbatteries.com/product/hdx30l/

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 03-08-2019 at 06:07 PM..
Old 03-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thank you shovel2
I’ve found in the box of parts some bushings that are supposed to go there but it seems a jack shaft kit needs to be in the shopping list.
Battery: thanks for the heads up ... darned! I was totally thinking of the lithium batteries because you can get a lot more power in a smaller size battery.
What was your experience with the lithiums? Not enough cranking amps ?
Old 03-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I found that they would give an initial kick, but if she doesn't crank the first or second time then you are about to run out of juice.I have heard other guys in the forum say the same thing..
Pushrod, here in the forum is a parts dealer, and he said that when he started dealing with the Lithiums, that he got a lot of complaints from customers and a lot of returns..You can always try
one and do the same thing if you are not satisfied..I love my big old lead acid battery now after being stranded a couple of times...The lithiums are high too..3 or 4 times the price..but that's why they make them, some people don't have the room..

I actually tried making a lithium motorcycle battery, after my ANTI GRAVITY lithium went out, I opened it up...ordered a bunch of individual cells off of ebay and
soldered them all together , exactly like they had them, and I think it would have been great except that all the cells were garbage, and the amp hour rating was way over rated and the chinese guy selling them was just trying to dump a bunch of old stuff, and I fell for it...he ended up giving me half my money back...$30,,what the heck, for that kind of money something like that is worth a try..That thing would barely hold a charge much less crank a v twin.I was actually able to get about 10 more cells in the casing than they had, too bad it didn't work out.................................just keep in mind that you are going to be riding ....the BEAST!

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 03-10-2019 at 03:58 PM..
Old 03-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
How much room do you have under your primary cover? do you have the room to mount your oil filter? That's where mine is mounted..On the Shovel I mounted it in front lower of the engine..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 03-16-2019, 07:47 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: PROSTREET 23" FRONT & 18" 300xREAR
Not Ranked     
NICE!!!
Very similar setup to mine in some ways

What are you doing for a rear brake?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel52 View Post
How much room do you have under your primary cover? do you have the room to mount your oil filter? That's where mine is mounted..On the Shovel I mounted it in front lower of the engine..
Hey Shovel
I dont think I have enough room under the primary cover... the oil filter bracket is already set up in the front/lower part of the engine.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieprostreet View Post
NICE!!!
Very similar setup to mine in some ways

What are you doing for a rear brake?
cool! Got any pictures? IM starving for ideas!
Rear Brake..... good question... it will be mounted to the rear axle and I need to weld a bracket for the stay.
Now, the questions do I ad a brake rotor to the left side or do I mount it to the right side using the sprocket as a dual function ...Sprocket + Rotor.

Wondering if the chain lube might affect the brake...
Old 03-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
mmmmm the sprotor / Sprockster setups are a bit 50/50 it seems, some people have no issues & others wont go near them

I am also running a right side drive gear box so I have to sort something similar out myself, I have the same style swingarm so finding a caliper bracket is tricky

The best solution I have found would be a 2000 - 2003 sportster rear bracket & caliper to suit, there is plenty of different brands / options so you can look around but the Performance Machine bracket is one of the nicest, I do have all the part numbers including just the bracket alone part number but here is the link>

https://www.performancemachine.com/m...e-caliper.aspx

You can see it is basically just a left side mount bracket that runs parallel / horizontal with the swingarm so its perfect for what we need, a simple tab for the bracket to locate & move forward & back along with chain or belt adjustment is all thats needed, only issue that is no worry at all is the bracket hole for the axle would need to be taken out from 3/4" to 1", easy enough to do

Other option is to fab an aluminum bracket yourself along the same lines, I have some billet aluminum pieces laying round that would do the job nicely so I might make my own bracket>

Last edited by aussieprostreet; 04-06-2019 at 11:19 PM..
Old 03-21-2019, 06:57 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
mmmmm the sprotor / Sprockster setups are a bit 50/50 it seems, some people have no issues & others wont go near them

I am also running a right side drive gear box so I have to sort something similar out myself, I have the same style swingarm so finding a caliper bracket is tricky

along the same lines, I have some billter aluminum pieces laying round that would do the job nicely so I might make my own bracket>
Yes, Iíve decided itís not worth taking any risks and going to go for the left side mount with a rotor.
I already have the mount for the axle all I need is to weld a tap and get the stay bar.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/66xyuw90jr...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
Old 03-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
That rear brake you have is for a sprotor setup which suits a sprocket not a much thinner disc

Might have to sell it & buy a proper brake bracket n caliper as I linked above

Last edited by aussieprostreet; 03-21-2019 at 07:11 PM..
Old 03-21-2019, 08:06 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
That rear brake you have is for a sprotor setup which suits a sprocket not a much thinner disc

Might have to sell it & buy a proper brake bracket n caliper as I linked above
Crap ... didnít think about that...
thank you !
now Iím not sure what Iíll do ..

Last edited by Maustarman; 03-21-2019 at 09:42 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 01:41 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
How are you going with it all? & what did you sort out with the rear brake caliper?

Thought I would list the rear brake caliper part numbers that I have found so far>

Performance Machine 00-03 rear caliper bracket>

0023-1526XU-B Black

0023-1526XU-CH Chrome

0023-1526XU-P Polished

HHI 00-03 Sportster rear caliper bracket

RBSPCC101 Chrome

RBSPAB101 Black

PM brackets listed here for reference>
https://www.webike.com.mm/products/21692386.html
Old 04-06-2019, 09:49 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks man!
I think for now I’m going to stick to the sport or although I’ll be welding a tap in the left side tus I can install a disk brake if the I don’t like the Doroteo ...

What are you doing for brake lines ?