Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
5 Cable/hydraulic front brake setup ??
Last Post: slytat666
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 7
Views: 269
Ultima push rods
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 57
any pics of 10" apes of softail or chopper?
Last Post: dbear
Posted On: 10-20-2017
Replies: 2
Views: 86
84 fxrt upgrade help
Last Post: Spade115
Replies: 4
Views: 166
"Not the Normal" builds, from WCC
Last Post: ->Bullet<-
Replies: 19,269
Views: 4,922,646
More...
Old 08-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
First Chopper build

Hey all. As the title describes. I have started my first ever build. I am a complete noob at this sort of thing in all areas. BUT I am wanting to learn, and am taking it step by step as I go along. I plan on spending money on the wrong things, (probably already have ), and plan on getting this up to speed with all of your experience from you guys on here.

I have a bunch of pieces I have accumulated over the last year and a half. Wheels, frame, engine skeleton. It's going to be a franken bike for sure. With a mixture of Honda CB750 parts and Triumph parts. And even some really custom pieces I have made blue prints to creating myself from scratch.

Like I said I am taking this step by step. Finding parts I am pretty good at myself to be honest. And I have kind of an idea of the bike I found that I've always dreamt up in my head. For the longest time I have had this dream idea in my head. And when I finally found the kind that I loved the look of, I immediately got to work on it by trying to emulate it.

So to get this started. I guess one of my first questions is about sprockets. Because this is one of the first areas I have gotten to where I don't think I can just collect by buying it. I feel like sprockets to engine interchangeability is going outside of my understanding, and just being able to read a Hayne's manual, watch a youtube video or find a workshop manual for that year of bike. So my question is how would one go about matching up an engine to a sprocket? I am not totally sure on teeth to use, sprocket sizes to buy or just pretty much making them work together in general. My engine I am using is a 1967 Triumph TR6R. And my rear wheel (No sprocket yet) is a 1970's vintage Honda CB750 Chrome Mag Wheel.

Again I am new to this. And I appreciate all of your help in advance. Wanting to learn. And I plan on coming right back to this same forum if I am capable to ask more questions if I can't figure something out. Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
This is what I am working with by the way. A "vintage" Honda rear MAG wheel. Do these also take just the regular components that the original Honda wheels took from there years?

It was pretty easy figuring out what kind of bearings I needed. All I needed to do was read what these old ones had. Thankfully they weren't removed before being sold to me so I can figure that much at least.
Attached Thumbnails
First Chopper build-img_2129.jpg   First Chopper build-img_2130.jpg  

Last edited by Jac0b561; 08-07-2017 at 12:49 PM..
Old 08-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Neutral     
Are you asking if there are other sprockets that will interchange with the triumph? you are going to have to find out how many teeth are on the front and rear sprockets of that model triumph..and buy the sprocket made for that motor because of the splines, and the transmission gearing......Check ebay, or maybe go to a triumph forum and maybe someone can tell you the ratio on the stock bike......Those Honda wheels pretty much were all the same, they all had 4 rubber dampers in the hub, real easy to work with......As far as finding a sprocket that will mount to the Honda wheel, and having the correct number of teeth to gear you to the stock bike, may be a challenge....be better to find a triumph guy for that info.

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 08-07-2017 at 05:44 PM..
Old 08-07-2017, 10:54 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel52 View Post
Are you asking if there are other sprockets that will interchange with the triumph? you are going to have to find out how many teeth are on the front and rear sprockets of that model triumph..and buy the sprocket made for that motor because of the splines, and the transmission gearing......Check ebay, or maybe go to a triumph forum and maybe someone can tell you the ratio on the stock bike......Those Honda wheels pretty much were all the same, they all had 4 rubber dampers in the hub, real easy to work with......As far as finding a sprocket that will mount to the Honda wheel, and having the correct number of teeth to gear you to the stock bike, may be a challenge....be better to find a triumph guy for that info.

That was very helpful thank you. I now have a lead on what type of sprocket to go with now. Finding parts is easy for me. It's just I didn't know if I needed to do any weird interchanging with Honda and Triumph parts. Different teeth, different sizes .etc.

So do you think this Honda MAG wheel takes the same parts as any stock 70's Honda CB750, is that what you're saying? I know this wheel was for the CB750. That's why I am assuming it also takes the same parts.

Also a little off topic. But I am having a blast learning how to do all this stuff. Other than the occasional jerk that posts stuff like "Hey bruh how do you not already have everything about motorcycles ever already memorized? haha lol" (I'm on other forums.) If i did I wouldn't be on forums asking for help.

Last edited by Jac0b561; 08-08-2017 at 09:44 AM..
Sponsored Links