Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Buell/XL Forum

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 13
Views: 1,392
Tire rub chain
Last Post: Tx51
Posted On: 07-16-2019
Replies: 19
Views: 2,177
Starting a New Build but its not a CFL
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 07-16-2019
Replies: 10
Views: 1,014
5 speed quadseal and enclosed primary
Last Post: Am4wag
Posted On: 07-14-2019
Replies: 2
Views: 94
Mounting WCC belt guard on Brute V
Last Post: modekko
Posted On: 07-13-2019
Replies: 1
Views: 75
More...
Old 06-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1997 Buell 1203 Mutant
Not Ranked     
garage needed a good cleaning so i took her off the table and showed the sun again for the first time in 5 years! and i think she looks good.

just missing tank, seat, exhaust. (ok, wiring isn't 100% yet, waiting on a replacement rear turn signal should be here tonight)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
(deleting due to weird double-posting - first post wasn't showing up until i posted this again?)
Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
working on re-shaping the saddle. didn't take a good before shot, but you can see how much foam i cut off. used to look like a diaper. ruined the lines of the bike in my opinion.
i think i'm going to have a local upholster touch up my shape and cover it.

also, anyone have any tips on pressure testing a tank?
i know to use 2-4psi.
i have plugged my crossovers, the filler neck, my vent. used teflon on my petcock threads. i seem to still have a small leak but i can't tell where it's coming from.
if i pressurize it and close petcock, leave it for 1 min, open petcock, air wooshes out. but if i let it sit for say 10 min, no air wooshes out. i.e. it's no longer pressurized, air is leaking out somewhere. tried to put soapy water on welds, nothing is showing bubbles.
any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
i may try putting it in a tub of water, but i don't want it rust, and don't want water to get inside wherever the leak is.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
got my seat back from Rick's Seat and Top here in Vermont.

looks a lot better than it used to: see how bulky it was?
Old 07-24-2015, 07:15 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
tank

i've been working a lot on the tank. because i decided to powdercoat everything instead of paint, it's a little bit more of a pain in the ass. i'm using Lab Metal body filler, which is a metal filler and can be powdercoated (conducts and can take the heat). but it's not easy to work with. and for some stupid reason i decided to cover the whole tank in it, thinking it would sand a little easier than it does.

learning . . . .

i've sanded and re-applied as needed in certain spots about 4 times now. maybe another 4 or 5 and i'll be ready to shoot the first coat of powder. . . .

i've also gotta say, i had hoped that a $700 tank would've come in a little nicer shape and not needed so much body work. it's no wonder pro builders never do the body and paint work themselves.

Last edited by bondo167; 07-31-2015 at 05:01 AM..
Old 08-14-2015, 06:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
major f*ck up on the tank guys. really kicking myself in the ass. i have to re-do EVERYTHING i did this past month. at least 20 hours of work to re-do. actually in talks with another powdercoater to see if he will do it for me as i'm not sure i have the skills. as much as i want to perservere and learn and get the satisfaction of succeed through this adversity, i also want to ride it!

so, got the tank to 95% with lab metal filler and powder primer. got it straight and smooth as i could and needed to put a coat of powder over it all to see if i needed more sanding. put in the oven and prepared to shoot coat of black. went to pull it out and the filler had bubbled.

so i assumed there was some solvent still in the filler that i hadn't let cure enough (should've done a slow temperature ramp in the oven instead of just putting it in at 350).

resisted throwing it across the garage or grabbing my hammer. left it in oven to bake for another 15 minutes, turned oven off and walked away.
came back 4 days later to re-sand and see how bad it was. started sanding and some of the filler lifted. F*CK! picked at it and it all started coming off, and the tank was rusted underneath!!!

so, what i THINK happened is this: i had sanded 80 then 120 then 240 then 320 then wet sanded 400. i think some of the water got to exposed steel (cant really tell different from lab metal to tank steel). i think it rusted and spread underneath the primer/filler. that's all i can think. it definitely wasn't rusted before i applied filler, i'm not that stupid. and i sanded it and cleaned it with the lab metal solvents before adding filler.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
here's what she looks like when the tank still had primer on it. i thought i was almost done . . .
anyway think i've got a guy who's going to fix and finish the tank for me.

exhaust will be black and i'm cutting the ends as i dont like the fish mouth shape.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
New plan: putting my old tank on and finalizing all the other details (brake bleed, clutch adjust, etc) asap so i can get this thing started. i'm sure there will be bugs to work out since it hasn't ran in a while, but i'm hoping i can get at least some miles on it this summer. will get back to work on tank after that in time for next summer.
same for exhaust. leaving it chrome for now.
hoping to get it running this weekend, and depending how that goes, go for a ride.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Know how you feel about the paint and prep work..anytime you start experimenting with new
materials that you are not familiar with, you are asking for trouble..that's why I stick to good ol bondo, primer and finishing putty..finishing putty is only good for surface scratches, any deeper
and it takes weeks to dry (lacquer based, no hardener) and shrinks after you finish your paint job and ruins it..just found that out....of course you are powder coating and that is not my bag.
For a leaky tank like that one, a liner works great...I just wrap it up in thick foam rubber...throw a hand full of 1/4 nuts or something in it and put it in the dryer with no heat and it blasts the inside, no need for acid or anything ..

Bike is looking great!

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 08-21-2015 at 03:27 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2019, 10:13 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
4 years later and I'm impressed with this build. I'm glad to have read the complete thread, whatever happened to it though?