Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Buell/XL Forum

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
99 brake caliper on a 2000 fork?
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: Today
Replies: 4
Views: 165
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Replies: 32
Views: 6,231
Project Blast!
Last Post: Spade115
Replies: 8
Views: 498
Oil vs fuel vs transmission line?
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 09-18-2019
Replies: 5
Views: 104
return throttle cable
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 09-17-2019
Replies: 2
Views: 107
More...
Old 09-05-2014, 06:18 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2000 Buell X1 Lightning
Not Ranked     
thats some pretty amazing fab work, i'm really digging the build.

i wouldn't stress about the crack. i had my bike worked on at Dakota V-twin during the rally and my oil pressure sensor was over-tightened and it cracked my case, but they brought in their tig welder to fix it. 21 hrs later i picked up my bike and a person couldn't tell they had even done welding. ramble over and getting to the point, your crack looks like a far more straight forward and accessable fix.

looking forward to seeing the finished product. i would really be interested to see how you did your wiring to retain the buell wiring. i'm in the process of starting my softail chopper build and i'm trying to gather and troubleshoot some of this stuff before i teardown the Buell and can't ride until the project is finish.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1997 Buell 1203 Mutant
Not Ranked     
thanks for the positive comments. been real busy lately with home and work stuff, so haven't made much progress. will be traveling to Asia for work in Oct as well, so probably won't have much headway for a while.

as for wiring, i didn't draw up my own diagram (wish i had) when i went through it all. so i really need to spend a few hours going through what i did and comparing it to the manual and simplified drawings -- when i am ready to finish the wiring. because i may have to pull the motor, it's kind of far down my list for now.

the guy that i had in mind to tig it says he'll have to heat it up quite a bit, so i assume he doesn't have the inverter setup you mention. i don't know enough about welding to really comment more on this . . .

so, trying to PC my oil tank. this is already the second try (first try i just left it all black, but it came out like sh*t). this round also looks terrible, the high-temp masking tape i used for masking off the gold let some of it seep through, and it also built up around the tape at some of the edges. so i wlll be spending a lot of time sanding this down - again. (need to get a good chemical stripper, but don't want to deal with everything that goes into say B17).

my paint (powder) scheme for the tins is inspired by this guy, 276ccm:
276ccm - Pinstriping, Gold Leaf/Gilding, Leathercraft and Airbrush: Gilding - Redneck Engineering Chopper

i really like the way his came out and think it will be a good fit for my bike.

Last edited by bondo167; 06-19-2015 at 05:41 AM..
Old 10-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
oil tank finished

I finally got my oil tank finished. coat of black, mask, coat of metallic gold, unmask once powder starts to flow, then full cure. then coat of mirror clear. (that's how it would've went ideally, but i had a LOT more steps in there).
came out really smooth though so I didn't have to wet sand and buff (or rather, smooth enough for me).
I wanted to do a pinstripe in the red around the detail, but i couldn't line up my cuts in the masking tape so i gave up on that.

the lines in the pics with it assembled are the reflections of bolts on the bike, not scratches on the oil tank.

and lastly, you can kind of see the very light metallic sparkle in the black. somehow some of the gold powder got evenly dispersed all over the black and the effect actually looks sweet. but it was completely un-intended. either i didn't clean the gun well enough before shooting the clear, or there were tiny-tiny holes in my masking tape when i shot the gold.

Last edited by bondo167; 06-19-2015 at 05:45 AM..
Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
it's been a while, but making some progress again. with work travel and the holidays, it's been tough to find enough time to do anything. but got my rear fender done.

At this point I'm fully committing to this black/gold paint scheme on the tins. i've gone around and around in my head over the past 4 years of what i wanted to do:
First i wanted to get someone to do a black sharpie graffiti job over the red as a base. but i am not capable of doing the sharpie part myself, and didn't find anyone else around me who could cheap enough. (google "sharpie lamborghini" for my inspiration).
Second, wanted to do the plastic wrap on wet paint thing, but quickly determined this was beyond my ability - with powdercoat especially! (and for color matching, need to be powder).
Third, I wanted to do this black/gold scallop design with red pinstriping. but i can't get the liquid-to-powder stuff i have (which allows you to paint the powder on just like paint-even airbrush-and then let dry, then oven cure as normal powder) to work. and re-masking to do a thin red line over the gold was not working.
Forth, i wanted to do a lace job with the red over this same black/gold design. there are a few people in the powder coat world doing this successfully (and they are way more experienced and have better equipment than I). Here's my attempt at that on some scrap metal.

in the end i decided to keep it just the black/gold scallops. i wanted to bike to be majority black anyway, and damnit i want to ride this thing before i die! i figure in the future i can always strip the tins and re-do if i really want to.

anyway, i'd love to hear ya'lls feedback.

lastly, a lot of people have mentioned the wiring. i am going to start working on that again soon, and i spent 1 hour last night pouring over the buell wiring diagram, my notes from a couple years ago, and what i actually saw on the bike. needless to say there was a lot of head scratching. i'm going to attempt to make my own diagram as it's a hybrid of the stock buell and a much-simplified chopper style that i printed from Torkypig. it'll probably be a while before i get that done and confirmed it works.

Last edited by bondo167; 06-19-2015 at 05:46 AM..
Old 01-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
lookin cool !
Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Really digging into the wiring right now.

I can see why so many people have been asking about the wiring, and also why most of the things i find online use aftermarket ignitions. it's not straightforward with the stock ignition. As the bike came to me, it did not have any relays diodes etc. the stock wiring diagram has as starter relay and also an ignition relay.
many of the things i find online say you don't need the relays if you have a solenoid-push-button starter (instead of a remote starter button on the handlebars). this makes sense as you would use the relay so the remote switch does not get the full current for the start circuit. so you can use a smaller switch.

but what i don't understand is whether i need an ignition relay or not. looking at the stock buell wiring diagram it looks like the stock ignition module gets power through the ignition circuit through the ignition relay. so i assume then that the ignition relay reduces the current going through the ignition module.

without the ignition relay it appears to me that you could have 30A going through the ignition module. which i don't think is good for it (afterall it looks like the wires connecting to the module are all 18awg which isn't rated for 30A).

but all that said, it appears that is how it was wired before i tore it down (4 years ago) and it ran. . . .

so i'm planning on doing it this way. i have started my own wiring diagram which i'll try to take a picture of. and once i'm done i'll try and start her up and see if anything smokes.

also, i found these 2 sources for those of you looking for wiring help .. . .

1997 Sporty Bare Bones Wiring Diagram - The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum

chopcult - Evo Sporty Rewire (Reduced to Essentials Only)

i am doing it very similar to these, though i've also got turn signals, VOES, Hi/Lo beam. no safety switches or indicator lights though.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Painting will make your hair turn grey and teach you a whole new vocabulary. It takes a tremendous amount of patience. My problem has always been, that I can't stand to have something undone so I get in a hurry. I built one bike from the ground up, and that's enough. Have you tried the vinyl pin striping? they can make anything you want if you send specs. it's clean and easy .Clear over it, sand, and polish out.

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 01-27-2015 at 05:05 PM..
Old 01-28-2015, 06:58 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
yea, that would be a good idea to do vinyl but I don't think i could get the same red to match the rest of the bike. the red i'm doing now is a clear/candy red over the metallic gold base.

but i may take that idea and see if i can get some vinyl cut as stencils for the tank graphic. that would certainly make that easier because taping and measuring and cutting masking tape isn't going to be easy - especially getting both sides of the tank to match. i have a compass with an exacto blade taped to it that i used on the oil tank and rear fender haha.

i've never worked with vinyl before, how sticky is that stuff? is it feasible to use as a stencil, or will i not be able to get it off?
Old 01-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The vinyl is the way to go, I've tried all the other. Try "VINYL DISORDER" they have all kinds of stuff, and can make what you want. Just use a spray bottle with water and it will slide around until you get it right. It's much easier than taping and masking and much cleaner.

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I don't think using as a stensil would be feasable. Just apply as your graphic and then clear over it, thick clear, sand once , clear again, thick, then final sand, polish it out. It will come off with blow dryer if you mess up. just use lots of water so it doesn't stick until you get it where you want it. Its cut with a lazer and really looks pro. Here is some stuff I did recently to cover up oil lines , wiring etc. Here is another thought, I wonder if you could just paint the vinyl graphic with your desired paint and then apply? be worth a try, and stopping by a sign shop and pick up some scraps and try it!

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 01-28-2015 at 04:30 PM..
Old 01-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Shovel, those pieces do look really good. nice work.
my problem though is that i'm not painting, i'm powdercoating. so all my stuff is getting into an oven at ~400 F. from what i've seen on some powdercoat forums, the vinyl won't stand up to the heat.
some guys say it can take ~250F which is enough for the powder to start melting so you can pull the vinyl off and then put the piece back in the oven at 400F for the rest of the powder to melt/cure.
from what i've found over the past couple days.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Different story, they are probably right!

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 02-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
i've got my wiring at least fully figured out now. everything on the back end (besides rear turn signals yet to be built) is wired. just need to wire the bars. i'll try and snap some pictures tonight.

also tried to get a good picture of my wiring diagram, but i drew it in pencil on a cardboard box as i was going, so the shiny graphite and dark background doesn't show up. and i really don't feel like re-doing it with sharpie, or on the computer. i'll try with a real camera.

best advice for those who are also trying to use the stock ignition module: use those links i posted, look at the stock buell/sporty diagram in the manual, and try and break it into smaller circuits. makes it much easier to understand. for example, think of just the ignition circuit by itself, then think of the lights, then the turn signals. etc.

stock ignition module (on my 97) has 7 wires:
-red, striped -> cam position sensor (just match wire color)
-green, striped -> cam position sensor (just match wire color)
-black, striped -> cam position sensor (just match wire color)
-black -> ground (to frame or whatever you want)
-pink -> to coil (doesn't matter which as they both fire simultaneously)
-white (maybe striped?) -> power in from ignition fuse, spiced also to coil
-purple -> VOES (vacuum operated electonic switch. attached to your carb)

VOES is optional. but i'm using it. the function is to have 2 different ignition curves - one for cruising around easy style, more fuel efficient. the other for opening her up, more aggressive.

Also, i believe with this you need a 30A fuse on the ignition circuit. i do remember trying to replace this fuse with a 15A since that's what the manual calls for, and having it blow instantly - 4 years ago when i had this thing on the road. this 30A fuse makes me nervous, because as described above i've got the ignition module getting power directly from the ignition fuse which means that potentially have 30A running through the ignition module. the stock wiring harness has an ignition relay, which i believe has only 15A running through the kill switch and ignition module.

i'm not an expert in all of this. but i think i've got it close to what it had before. need to finish my oil system, fill her with tranny fluid, wire headlight and attempt to start her up to see if this works.

next project steps:
-fabricate oil fittings for top of oil tank
-route oil lines
-route rear brake line
-wire bars
-fabricate handlebar switch housings
-mount gas tank (need to weld mounts)
-powdercoat gas tank
-fabricate grips
-fabricate pegs
-modify & paint exhaust
-fabricate rear turn signals
-hopefully have all this, and miscellaneous odds&ends, complete before june 2015 . . .
Old 02-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
That's a lot of current. Shouldn't the ignition module pull about 2 amps per 1000 rpm or so? you don't have your charging system tied in to that circuit do you? that would do it. The 15 amp fuse sounds about right. Your stator and rectifier should be on one fuse. Ignition module on one fuse, lights etc one fuse, and main fuse 30 amps.

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 02-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
hmm. ok. i'm gonna have to think about that some. I did not know that about the ignition module (2A per 1000RPM).
i really appreciate the help.

Here's trying to work through the details: (let me know thoughts)

i've got + terminal of battery going to starter. same connection have wire going to 30A main breaker (lower, thick black wire in the picture connected to the main breaker).
then on the other side of the breaker i've got (red) going to the key.
same connection has (black) going to volt reg for charging battery (current flowing in reverse when running, right?).
from the key it comes back down to the fuse box (top fuse, where i've got a 15A for now - see if it blows immediately). then other side of fuse goes directly to ignition module (white) and splices up to coil.
(not running a kill switch).
then i've got a 15A for Lights, and 15A for Acc (turn signals, horn, brake, tailight).

so the stator/volt reg. goes through the main 30A breaker. but since it is connected to the key switch (at main breaker, red wire), if it's putting out 30A is all that coming back through the key to the fuse to the ign module to the coil?
and let me show my ignorance here: i guess i don't really understand if current is pulled or pushed? so if 30A is coming out of the stator, is it PUSHING all that through the key etc?
Or, if 30A is coming out of the stator, but only 15A is needed by the ignition system, is the ign mod/coil PULLING only 15A through from the main circuit breaker?

not sure i'm making any sense . . . .

also, here's some a couple shots of the rest of the wiring.

cleaned up and running around backside of oil tank (yet to be mounted).

running under starter and then behind cam cover down to volt reg, cam position sensor, and brake.

got everything up through the bars last night, tough to do in that tight space. need to finish the wiring in the headlight shell tonight.
i'm glad to have it cleaned up. i was sick of having wires everywhere as you can see in some of my earlier posts.

however, we'll see if it's right. any advice/thoughts on all of this is greatly appreciated. i'm not an electrical engineer. . . i prefer solid, mechanical type stuff. that whole square root of -1 thing. . . never made sense. . .