Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Buell/XL Forum

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Solo controls
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Today
Replies: 6
Views: 114
Shovel high revs problem
Last Post: Shovel83
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 13
Views: 365
Running rich.?.?.?
Last Post: pushrod243
Replies: 1
Views: 71
14 Chopper of the Month entries for Sept 2014
Last Post: STEINBVG
Replies: 4
Views: 84
Hellion CFL Build.
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Replies: 299
Views: 28,673
More...
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2000 fxdx
Not Ranked     
What buell makes best donor bike

I'm considering a sportster/buell build and being an ex buell owner I realize that each model has different motors or at least the cases and jugs look to be different (some even look as if they are plastic). So is there a particular motor or model to use? to me. The cyclone motors seem to be the motors that look the best versus the lightning or other models. Anyway a little help on this one, will be appreciated. -Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1942 Harley 45 Magnum
Not Ranked     
last year I built an XB9R engined chop that worked out well....had to have the frame made for it as no one makes an ''off the shelf'' frame for the XB motors here in England anyway...

Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Your bike looks great and so does the motor but I see you have those black covers running up the side of your cases,I'm guessing those are like pushrods covers, an can you change those out with the single chrome tubelike set-up like you see on most full size v-twins. Cause I'm not real crazy about the black case look. and if I'm wrong about what they are please fill me in.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'm not sure if I want to run a sportster or a Buell motor. Is there a horsepower difference?Or any other difference? Should I buy just a donor motor or am I better off buying a complete bike and parting out what I don't need? Sorry about all the questions but I'm just trying to do this thing in the most economical and sufficient way. Thanks for all the valued help.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1942 Harley 45 Magnum
Not Ranked     
you can change the Buell Pushrod tubes out for the Harley type single tubes but I wanted it to still look like a Buell so I left them as standard......Buell motors are a lot more powerfull than a standard Sportster......off the top of my head I think the books say an XB9R throws out about 90 BHP whereas a sporty is somewhere in the 60 BHP area but I'm sure someone here will correct me on that if wrong,
the cylinder heads are ''Thunder Heads''and Pistons are also differant,they can be put on a Sporty motor and will increase power output,
There are a few people in the States who do frame Kits for the Buell's.....''Mutant'' being one firm who sell a kit that takes Buell Forks wheels etc etc...you would be better off buying a bike and then swaping what ya need from the Standard bike to the Chop kit, this would probably be the easiest and cheapest way to do it if it's your first build,otherwise you will have problems working out what is or isn't compatable.
early Buells were highly Tuned Sporty motors but the later motors although Built by Harley were specific for Buell use and don't fit sporty frames.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 roadking 90-93xl 96 xl bobber
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay ski View Post
I'm not sure if I want to run a sportster or a Buell motor. Is there a horsepower difference?Or any other difference? Should I buy just a donor motor or am I better off buying a complete bike and parting out what I don't need? Sorry about all the questions but I'm just trying to do this thing in the most economical and sufficient way. Thanks for all the valued help.
You can build a sporty motor up to put out some serious power. Go to Hammer performance or NHRS. On one of the 2 sites they have a comparison on all the heads for xl and buell.
HAMMER PERFORMANCE - High Performance for your Harley Twin Cam, Evo Big Twin, Sportster or Buell! 208-696-1250
NRHS - High Performance for your Harley Twin Cam, Evolution, Sportster or Buell!
Use this link for all heads comparison.
HAMMER PERFORMANCE - High Performance for your Harley Twin Cam, Evo Big Twin, Sportster or Buell! 208-696-1250
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 98 bourget proget 96" S&S
Not Ranked     
I'd suggest a Cyclone M2 tuber. Inexpensive bikes and NOT fuel injected so it eliminates the conversion of EFI to carb.
Buell Ulysses
Small City Cycles Triumph chopper ('66)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Some info on Buell donor bikes from the RE website.
Mutant Buell Donor Bike

Choosing the right donor bike

A lot of folks ask us what year and model Buells make the best donor bikes when they�re looking to build a Redneck Engineering Mutant Buell, or any of the other aftermarket �donor� frames. So here�s a quick rundown of what separates good from great when it comes to buying a used Buell.

1. Carburetor vs. Fuel Injection: All Buell tube frame models from 1996 to 1998, as well as 1999-2002 M2 Cyclones were carbureted with standard module ignition systems, while 1999-2002 X1 Lightning and S3 Thunderbolt models came with factory fuel injection. Obviously, in a bare bones chopper or custom the bulk of extra wiring needed to run a fully integrated, closed-loop fuel injection is much more than most folks are looking to try and hide, and a majority of builders will lean toward switching the engine over to a carburetor. This a very simple swap, requiring the purchase of a new carburetor with appropriate fittings and brackets, an intake manifold, as well as an ignition module (either external box or nose cone modules will work in this case) and a new timing rotor cup. This extra investment should be taken into consideration when you�re budgeting your build if you choose one of these late model, fuel injected bikes.

2. Thunderstorm Engines: Buell debuted their �Thunderstorm� engine package in 1998 in the limited production S1W White Lightning. The potent combination of high flow cylinder heads, 10:1 compression ratio pistons, .497 lift cams, hotter ignition timing and a 6800 RPM rev limit was an instant hit, and gave H-D it�s first claimed 100+ horsepower production motorcycle. Of course this 102 horsepower claim was based on power at the crank, whereas most of these bikes averaged 85 ponies to the rear wheel after parasitic losses in the primary, transmission and final drive. Buell went full production with the Thunderstorm package in 1999-2002, with all three models, the X1, S3 and M2 featuring these parts standard. While the X1 and S3 share the same configuration as the original S1W, the M2 was fitted with the milder XL 1200 cams for a torque-heavy combination. If you�re looking for out of the box performance then it�s worth your time to shop around for a Thunderstorm-equipped bike, as the difference in power output is seat-of-the-pants apparent. Keep in mind too though that many other 1996-1998 models were upgraded to the Thunderstorm parts, as Buell offered the package as an all inclusive kit that many, many owners opted for. Easiest way to tell a real set of Thunderstorm heads is color, as every set of Thunderstorm heads has been powder coated solid black, while all the earlier factory Buell heads came in silver. Again, if you have any questions regarding what to look for in a motor get a hold of us at T.B.C., or if you�re looking for a way to make even more power give our friends over at NRHS V-Twin Performance a look online at NRHS - High Performance for your Harley Twin Cam, Evolution, Sportster or Buell! (303)702-1600 or call them at 303-833-4500. These guys wrote the book on XL and Buell performance, rewriting the Bonneville record books in the process.

3. Inverted Tube Front Ends: All 1996-1998 S1 and S2 as well as 1999-2002 X1 and S3 models came standard with the Showa inverted tube front end, while all 1997-2003 M2 models rolled off the line with a conventional tube and slider fork assembly. This decision is purely one of personal taste and aesthetics, as either set-up is perfectly usable from a function standpoint. Some of course like the heavier, more modern look of the inverted tubes, while other will like the simplicity and classic lines of the standard forks. New inverted fork assemblies are still available from H-D/Buell dealers if you should decide to take and M2 based bike that direction, or if your donor was a wreck with fork damage, but plan on investing a grand by the time you get both tubes and a set of triple trees to match. Both front ends use the same axles as well as the same six-piston Nissen brake calipers, so everything is interchangeable.

4. Price differences: 1997-2002 M2 Cyclone models will generally bring the lowest prices in comparison to other Buells from the same model year, as they were the cheapest new model in each of six years they were built. S1 and S1W Lightnings will generally come next in line, with S1W�s commanding higher prices, based on their fledgling collector status. From there it runs to the 1999-2002 X1 Lightning and S3 Thunderbolt models. These bikes were Buell�s most expensive production models, and the used resale market reflects it. With enough patience and a little hunting around pretty much any Buell model can be had at a fire sale price, just pick the model that best fits your wants and needs and go from there. Some great places to search for used Buells include the bikes for sale classifieds at Buell Motorcycle Forums, Information, Tech Support, Photos, Performance Parts, & Advice - BadWeB as well old standbys New & used cars, trucks, motorcycles, parts, accessories and Motorcycles - Scooters, Dirt Bikes, Choppers, Sport Bikes, and Other Motorcycles for Sale - Cycle Trader.com.

We look for bikes in this order - No.1 on our list has to be the 1998 S1W White Lightning. It�s got everything we like to incorporate into the mutant in one package: inverted front end, carburetor, standard ignition and the hot-rod Thunderstorm engine. It�s the perfect donor bike. Unfortunately, there aren�t tens of thousands of these things, as less than 5,000 of them were ever built, so finding one period can be difficult and because of their popularity sellers can command a premium price.
No.2 would be the 1999-2002 M2 Cyclone. Thunderstorm heads and pistons, carburetor, standard ignition and standard forks. Some great buys can be had on used Cyclones and depending on what your front end plans are, the standard tubes may be going on the shelf anyway. (Our black bike seen elsewhere on the site started life as a 1999 M2)
No.3 would be 1999-2002 X1 or S3 models. Even though these bikes can run a little higher up front, and can cost even more if you switch out to a carburetor, they still come with a lot of trick bits and are worth a look.

Hopefully this quick rundown on some key points will help you in your search for the perfect donor bike. Basically any tube frame Buell will work, but picking the year and model that gives you the majority of features you�re looking for can save you a lot of time, money and headaches in the long run. Again if you have any questions please give us a call at 970-587-5867 or drop me a line directly at justin@twobitchoppers.com.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wow that's a shitload of information, thanks that definitly answers all my questions.