Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > Buell/XL Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
First build - beginner questions
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-18-2019
Replies: 23
Views: 338
WTB: chopper fucker battery box
Last Post: John Spartan
Posted On: 10-14-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 3,450
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Posted On: 10-13-2019
Replies: 20
Views: 585
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 7,012
Project Blast!
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 1,071
More...
Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Bars are ready for paint!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Baaaack in the booth!

I took care of the bars and the pop-up gas caps last night.

Should start reassembly tonight.

I set myself a target to get the bike to the local inspection station Wednesday the 30th to get my VIN, and then register it. Time to wrap up these last details!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Covered the front of the gas tank, and the rear fender with the 3M film:

Bars and caps cured and installed last night.

I got the cables/wires run through and hooked up the levers on both sides as well.

I have an appointment to get my VIN next Wednesday so the race is on! Need to wrap the bars up and get the seat shaped and covered this weekend.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:05 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Bought some vinyl and temporarily covered the seat. I just want to make sure it's comfortable riding before I spend $$ to have someone cover it for good.
Not perfect, but should do for now.

I also wrapped up 95% of the bars assembly. Mirrors, cables, and internal throttle are all hooked up and working.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yesterday was the day!
Loaded up the bike:

and took it downtown to get my VIN. Got a lot of looks and kind words from folks waiting for their own salvage inspections, and some kind words from the inspector.
He verified how I came about the frame and engine and filled out the form necessary to get my VIN issued; then BAM!
A 2014 Custom Chopper was born!

Town hall was basically as simple. Only sketchy part was the clerk asking, "If someone wanted to buy this off you, what would you sell it for?"

"The total of the receipts listed on that spreadsheet in front of you."

"Nothing extra for sweat equity, or labor, etc??"

"You never get that back! lol Nope, just the $5,800 in parts."

Trying to get more tax dollars out of me! Total with my vanity plate came to $125..good day!

Speaking of value, I did have it appraised locally for $30,000. THAT made my day..until I saw the insurance rates! Cripes.

Anyway, the process is complete!

I'm still trying to get the remote front master cylinder working to my liking. I've ordered a few different size/design masters to see if they make any difference, because what I have on there now isn't working to my liking.

More to come on that as I nail it down, then you guys will see some pics/vids of it blasting around town for sure.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Awesome !!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks a bunch bud.

I got most everything buttoned up and took it for a few mile ride around the neighborhood.
I would have taken it longer, but that stupid front brake still isn't working properly so I didn't want to push my luck.
I know it's a problem with the lever arm because I can't get enough pull from the cable to fully actuate the master so I started doing some modeling.

The red are the original lever arms currently on the master. In order to get the stroke on the master (right side) the lever would need to be pulled over 2" by the cable (left side). I only have 5/8" of cable pull. Clearly the fulcrum needs to move.

The green lever arms are my new proposed location. With 5/8" of cable movement (left side) I can get just over 1" of movement at the master. That should work.
So...I'll make a new lever arm, and build my own fulcrum into the steel bracket that holds the adjustable end of the cable:

I'm pretty confident this should work well. I'm anxious to take care of that as it's the one thing stopping me from putting more miles on this bike.
I have some carb tuning to do, but I can keep messing with that a bit as I ride the bike. I'm happy to report that since the little tuning I have done thus far that the bike has gone from that high idle sound to the proper "potato, potato" Harley sound. The baffle has the exhaust note at 90 decibels at 1000RPMS.

In the meantime... You'll probably notice that at no point during the build did I ever mock-up or talk about a front fender. That's because I never had any intention of running one! haha
I could never decide on a "look" for one that I liked, so I just planned to run a fork brace. Found this nice one made from powdercoated 3/16" thick steel. Nice, rugged piece should prevent fork twisting upon braking, etc. Nice fit too.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Two steps forward, one step back lol.

I fabricated the new master cyl lever arm and new fulcrum position over the weekend.

Awesome. Much harder pull of the lever (like a real brake lever feels) and being able to pull the FULL stroke of the master cylinder meant the brake worked!

Only one issue... the amount of force required to pull the lever on the bars exceeded the strength of the cast aluminum handlebar mount..doh!

Fortunately it happened in the convenience of the garage during bleeding.
I'm going to either repair by machining out an area and inserting a piece of steel in it's place, or simply machine an entirely new part out of steel...that's this week's TO DO.

Prior to that happening, I took the bike out for a bit on Mother's day. Probably a good 10 miles or so just messing around with some of the carb mixture working on getting that dialed in. I stopped in a parking lot to give everything a once over to make sure things were still tight and nothing was hanging off the bike, when I saw this:

Why in the heck was I getting fluid coming out the trans output shaft??!?!
Headed straight home, and after a quick google search found there's suppose to be a factory seal plug there. Doh again!
$2.19 from Harley and we're good as new.

Other non-pic related updates:

Adjusted the primary chain, and pulled the clutch cover to adjust the tension at the attachment point. Was getting some slipping in higher gears under load. That should take care of that.

Hopefully I can whip up a fix for the brake lever and get the bike out again this week.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:47 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Spent Saturday Machining my new brake lever perch from steel.

Fits like a glove. Back in business.

Took the bike on a few errands in town yesterday, and then decided to give it a go taking it 15miles to work this morning.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:08 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Happy Friday!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Took last Wednesday off and rode up to Laconia Bike Week with a few buds.

160 miles and not a single issue, which is good cuz I only brought a leatherman with me in case I had any issues lol.

The bike received a bunch of attention. It was a fun and successful day.