Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > Buell/XL Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
oil stained chrome pipes
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Today
Replies: 5
Views: 81
Finished Seats
Last Post: POVERTY
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 328
Views: 62,822
starter problem
Last Post: rem hamilton
Posted On: 11-20-2019
Replies: 6
Views: 270
Swing Arm bushings question
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 11-18-2019
Replies: 4
Views: 205
Ultima Fat Bastard
Last Post: Timfromflorida
Posted On: 11-16-2019
Replies: 11
Views: 4,261
More...
Old 09-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
That is some good questions. The frontlegs are attatched to a rocker like a springer. But sure, it have a setup that looks a bit like a girder too.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
.....and i have no clue if it gonna work at all :-) just needed to try it.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 68 Triumph TR-6
Not Ranked     
so you are basically just building a 1 spring-springer. Gonna be putting a lot of stress on that upper shock mount.

http://r4yl.blogspot.com/

Image One High Performance Art
Custom Paint & Pinstriping
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I have been sick all weekend and still are. But today i got sick being sick so i went out to the garage and cut some pipes and welded a bit

Statusen with some measurements. (You have to bee impressed on my caliper)

Looking pretty long and i like the look too
Old 10-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last edited by mullemeck; 10-04-2011 at 10:29 AM..
Old 10-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I went wild and crazy with all my cutting tools that i have. Now there is no return. Feeling like a Mad scientist.

I Will clean up all the cuts and then start rebuild the bike

Old 10-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Old 10-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: evo chopper
Not Ranked     
Tummen upp, gå loss bara !!

For those of you who doesnt understand swedish the above means something like " Thumbs up, go crazy with it
Old 10-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Todays work was to clean up the steering neck from the old frame parts. I also did the rest of the parts för the upper linkage. I got it tight and nice.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
It is mutch work with the measurements. It is hard to chill out and take the time to measure everything. I just want to start weld this together

Old 10-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Did some machinework this evening. Plug for the frame and then mill the taps for my upper linkage on the frontend...... (The english in that sentence was not right??)

Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Old 10-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 XL883C, and a project bike
Send a message via Yahoo to Quade
Not Ranked     
I like that front end, but i am wondering about stress too. keep us posted.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Santee Rigid, 120ci Ultima El Bruto
Not Ranked     
I love the outside the box thinking on that front end, but I do wantto help think through this and make sure that thing is safe and I want to see it work.

I hope it's not the camera angle, otherwise this whole post will sound really dumb... But oh well... better safe than sorry.

From the looks of the pics, from the bottom of the wheel to the top of the coilover, the two pieces of tubing do not look like they are parallel to each other which means that there is probably some play forward and backward in the front two legs. As I understand the geometry of a springer, those two forks in the front and the back need to stay perffectly parallel during the compression and release of the front end. If there is any play between the two, it will most likely cause un-necessary stress on your shock or shock mount (top and bottom), which could lead to failure.

Does that even make any sense? It's hard to describe what I see and put it into text. That said, if there was a mechanism to ensure that the front tubes and rear tubes stay in perfect alignment, this springer should work quite well.

Here's a couple pics... One with what looks like a problem and another of a proposed solution.

Here's an illustration of what looks like a problem to me, but could be the camera angle. It seems like the front and back tube starts at good spacing on the bottom and as it gets closer to the top, that gap get's smaller. I believe it would allow play forward and backward in the front tubes of the springer:

Here is a proposed solution that might even make it look more mechanical and cool if you can make it work, while being functional. Basically you have to stop the top of the front two bars from having any play forward and backward, but you can't make a hard mount otherwise the spring won't compress up and down. What if you built something like a 4 link suspension on a truck/car? So you had a bracket hang off the tripple tree and then a piece of tubing with hiem joints that only allow them to move up or down so the springer can still compress up and down, while holding the two front bars in place so they don't move front to back...

I don't know... sorry for the long winded post but I actually think this is a cool idea and would love to see it come to fruition and be safe. Sorry if this comes off dumb or stepping over the line... just trying to help.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgisonno View Post
I love the outside the box thinking on that front end, but I do wantto help think through this and make sure that thing is safe and I want to see it work.

I hope it's not the camera angle, otherwise this whole post will sound really dumb... But oh well... better safe than sorry.

From the looks of the pics, from the bottom of the wheel to the top of the coilover, the two pieces of tubing do not look like they are parallel to each other which means that there is probably some play forward and backward in the front two legs. As I understand the geometry of a springer, those two forks in the front and the back need to stay perffectly parallel during the compression and release of the front end. If there is any play between the two, it will most likely cause un-necessary stress on your shock or shock mount (top and bottom), which could lead to failure.

Does that even make any sense? It's hard to describe what I see and put it into text. That said, if there was a mechanism to ensure that the front tubes and rear tubes stay in perfect alignment, this springer should work quite well.

Here's a couple pics... One with what looks like a problem and another of a proposed solution.

Here's an illustration of what looks like a problem to me, but could be the camera angle. It seems like the front and back tube starts at good spacing on the bottom and as it gets closer to the top, that gap get's smaller. I believe it would allow play forward and backward in the front tubes of the springer:

Here is a proposed solution that might even make it look more mechanical and cool if you can make it work, while being functional. Basically you have to stop the top of the front two bars from having any play forward and backward, but you can't make a hard mount otherwise the spring won't compress up and down. What if you built something like a 4 link suspension on a truck/car? So you had a bracket hang off the tripple tree and then a piece of tubing with hiem joints that only allow them to move up or down so the springer can still compress up and down, while holding the two front bars in place so they don't move front to back...

I don't know... sorry for the long winded post but I actually think this is a cool idea and would love to see it come to fruition and be safe. Sorry if this comes off dumb or stepping over the line... just trying to help.

You have totaly right. They are not parallell and it need some More parts. On that pictures the fork is mostly mock up. I'm sure that some of the story is lost when my english is bad. I try to post mutch pictures to illustrate more.

If you look in my posts, i am doing a linkage that Will hold the front legs parallell with the rear.

Last edited by mullemeck; 10-14-2011 at 12:28 AM..