Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > Buell/XL Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
First build - beginner questions
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Today
Replies: 23
Views: 307
WTB: chopper fucker battery box
Last Post: John Spartan
Posted On: 10-14-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 3,375
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Posted On: 10-13-2019
Replies: 20
Views: 569
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 6,885
Project Blast!
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 1,018
More...
Old 05-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: moped, it's a moped
Not Ranked     
Steve's XL1200 Bobber Build

I don't know what it is about having a project that seems like it will never end, throwing one bad dollar after the 10 before it and trying to justify the purchase by imagining myself crusing down the road with a smile on my face.

Why do I put myself through this? I've already got my dream chopper, and a couple of stock sportys to commute to work on. Life is good, I signed up for Netflix so I always have good movies on hand to keep me busy.

Network TV sucks but I've got 10 billion channels on sattelite to occupy my time. Boating season is here and I love to camp...maybe I should go do that stuff instead.

But...there's something that draws me to this self inflicted torture...there's always that frame sitting in the corner calling out to be transformed...that box of parts with plenty of life left in it, and stories from the past they're trying to share...

I'm starting this up again, I don't do this for a living (thats for sure) and I don't have endless resources financially. I have limited to non existent welding skill even after taking a tig course at the community college. I've got no time, not much money and I already have enough bikes...so let's begin.

I have an 02 XL1200 stock frame from my first project. It's been sitting in a friend's backyard in Vegas for 3 years. I've lived in 4 different states since the last time I saw it. I picked it up about two weeks ago, and dropped it off today at Chassis Design Company in Irvine CA. Anthony makes frames for plenty of big name guys in the business. When I visited his shop today, he had Bling Frames, Indian Larry Frames and Keino Frames ready to ship. He had one of his Rooke Frames on display in the front office. He was working on a Saturday and stopped what he was doing with little to no notice to discuss my project in great detail, even though I've only asked him to hard tail the frame.

They are going to start Monday and be done by Tuesday. I picked the ride height, axle blocks and style of the tail. Total cost, $400...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I'm going to build something like this:

I'll be making a few changes but the basic look will be the same. I ordered my white walls yesterday and picked up this set of 16" wheels and tubes today.

I plan to chrome the choppers inc crown style sissy bar I made by hand for my last project and install it on this bike like the Bobzilla bike Billy did several years ago. I'll add forward controls with floorboards and powder coat the frame baby blue with offwhite pinstripes down the downtubes, center of the tank and rear fender.

I plan to do a white leather seat on one of Paco's amazing seat pans and as an added bonus, the guy I bought the wheels from also had these badges sitting around. I gave him $25 for them. They are EXACTLY what I had in my head and conveniently he had a set laying around. They'll be installed on the tank.

In 1985 Harley ran an add campaign with the slogan, "It's not a rational decision."
I guess I would agree with that statement.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
good emblems, good price. Don't forget the backing plates and yes you're fucking stupid like the rest of us.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I found this tank on the net, this is the color scheme I have in mind (similar to this)

And I just picked up this gas cap
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
ob·ses·sion   /əbˈsɛʃən/ Show Spelled[uhb-sesh-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
1.the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.
2.the idea, image, desire, feeling, etc., itself.
3.the state of being obsessed.
4.the act of obsessing.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom
Send a message via Yahoo to pushrod243
Not Ranked     
Good luck with the project Steve......
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
www.scootersperformance.com
(four0seven)330-2056

Old 05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2007 WCC CFL, SS 113, AGENT ORANGE
Not Ranked     
The first step is admitting you have a motorcycle habit, Good job. you've taken the first step.....Now lets see what you can build. I would say most everyone here has a motorcycle habit. You got a good start so far. Also, I know this for sure........not a sigle one of us will talk you outta building it.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 AM
All American Nightmare
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 08 BrosCo Bare Bones Custom 120ci Ultima
Neutral     
Hey man ive got the same problem with bikes but my problem also consits of women and booze lol. Dont sweat it you are just being a real guy, project looks good though good luck
Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Member/Admin
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 96 Yamaha Virago 750
Not Ranked     
Kinda reminds me of this former COTM.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hey thanks Ace...that is very similar to what I'm trying to do. That is one clean bike and I don't normally like that shade of red but it's killer on that bike. I love the stripe on the rear fender too.

I also dig the headlight bucket...gonna color match and stripe my bucket too...I really like that look as opposed to chrome on this style of bike.

I'm going with the wide white wall 16 up front but everything else is very similar. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ok I got everything back from paint and assembled...I'm not sure about the passenger pegs so I might remove them. A ride this sweet was meant to be ridden solo...
Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Member/Admin
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 96 Yamaha Virago 750
Not Ranked     
That could be the next chop of the month!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:45 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: VTX1800 Trike, building Covington trike
Not Ranked     
Yeah its a disease, men and their toys. Good luck with the project gunna look cool
Old 05-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I got my frame back from Chassis Design Co. with my newly installed hard tail and oil tank. Anthony did a killer job of fabbing the tubes and welding it all up. The hard tail included the rear axle as well (which is not pictured in the photo below).

I made the sissy bar for my sportster chopper back in 2006 but I really like it for this bike so it will be narrowed a bit to fit the new fender and mounted permanently soon.

The next step when I get a chance is to get it level and take some measurements to figure out what size front end I'll need.

I picked up some cool drag style bars with a very slight pull back on Ebay for $10 so we'll see how they look when they show up. I already have some super short Custom Chrome risers so as soon as I get my front end I'll have a roller up and moving.

Paco is going to make me a killer seat pan...more updates soon.

Last edited by EscaladeSteve; 05-29-2010 at 04:45 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'm back at it again...ad I've picked up a few goodies so I'm looking for some input. It's all just sitting on there now so nothing is straight.

What do you guys think about:

1. The seat combo - it started life on a honda chop in the early 70's. picked it up on chop cult
2. Fishtails. Picked them up in the FLH deal
3. Headlight - it's just sitting on there now but looking for opinions.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 88" ACM Rigid Bobber
Not Ranked     
You'll need a large enough tank and rear fender so the seat won't look too big. I think the sidecar is a bit much though