Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > Buell/XL Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
oil stained chrome pipes
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Today
Replies: 5
Views: 82
Finished Seats
Last Post: POVERTY
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 328
Views: 62,828
starter problem
Last Post: rem hamilton
Posted On: 11-20-2019
Replies: 6
Views: 272
Swing Arm bushings question
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 11-18-2019
Replies: 4
Views: 206
Ultima Fat Bastard
Last Post: Timfromflorida
Posted On: 11-16-2019
Replies: 11
Views: 4,262
More...
Old 07-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Buell XB fat tire chop

This is my current project. It is also my first. I've built several Hotrods before this and have been working on and riding bikes almost my whole life, but this will be my first chopper.

Its a Buell XB9R motor. Some of you may know that the Weapon frame is made for XL sportys. I got this frame on the cheap so I plan on fabbing my own mounts to make this motor work with this frame.

The Bike will have a DNA springer, spoke wheels, suicide shift, and whatever else I can get on a small limited budget.

I chose the XB for several reasons, number one is it was about a grand cheaper. Number 2 is the motor makes 92 estimated hp stock. Add a big bore kit, some cams, and it'll be over 100 very easily. I'm pretty sure the hp rating is at the crank but it still beats the hell out of a stock XL 1200. There is not very much info on the web about using XB motors, most that I've found are Redneck mutant builds. Hopefully the info I provide will help some one else, and if anyone has any tips THROW THEM MY WAY!

Currently I've got the motor sitting in the frame. I'm getting a feel for what I'm going to have to do for these mounts. The XBs on the Buells are rubber mounted but I'm going to mount this one solid. My rear wheel, axle, and sprocket are on order so once those come in I will get the motor set where I want it and start building the mounts.

Here's what I have so far, the tank is just sitting on there I'm going to have to wait until I get the springer and handlebars before I mount it. It will sit further back.

Either a smaller oil filter or a relocation kit will have to be used, this is probably the biggest hurdle so far. You can see the front lower mounting hole behind the filter.

Rear bottom mounts, I plan on running a small "crossmember" of 1" square tubing across the frame with tabs coming up for the motor to bolt to.

Top rear mount: I plan on bolting a plate to the XL style frame plate and welding another plate to it at the proper angle to bolt down to the motor. This area was where a big rubber style mount was. I will still be able to use the slots in the frames plate so I can slide the motor left or right to help with sprocket offset. I'll build this mount first, get the motor where I want it and build the others once I'm satisfied with the placement.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I built the rear mount today, it's pretty simple it uses both the factory XB mounting holes and the XL frame plate. The trickiest part was getting the motor square with the frame, shim here shim there. I can still slide the motor left or right to help get the offset needed for the drive sprocket. The welds are not the best looking but they are strong. There is no excuse for sloppy welds, but I couldn't get the damn thing to act right (lots of splatter). It turns out my wire was a bit corroded. I don't do enough welding anymore to use up a 10lb spool before it starts rusting so I'm going to go back to the smaller spools. It'll still clean up nice once I put the grinders on its ass.

I also trimmed the Buell swingarm mount off of the motor. I won't be needing it for this bike. Instead of cutting it straight I decided to give it a little curve to follow the case. Thats it beside the drive sprocket.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Nice frame, cool buell, your doin well
Old 08-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 73 xl 1000
Send a message via Yahoo to vivisix
Not Ranked     
cool. can't wait to see more.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
OIL Filter relocation!!

I got the oil filter problem figured out today. The K&N oil filter numbers for Buell XBs are hp1003 and KN-177. The hp1003 is mostly packaged as a car filter and the kn-177 as a Motorcycle filter. The hp1003 is a couple of millimeters larger but other than that the two filters are the same. Both filters will fit on a XB along with several other car filters from different brands including AC-Delco, Fram, Bosch, Motorcraft ect. Pretty good info to know since the car filters are cheaper! WHY THE HELL ARE MOTORCYCLE PARTS MARKED UP SO HIGH?!!?

More importantly to me though is now I know that I can use a filter relocation kit for whatever else the hp1003 filter fits. I did a cross reference on the filters and found out that they are the same filters used on many models namely 4 cylinder Toyotas, Suzukis, ect cars from the early 80s to current. You can check out all of the models here.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=KN-177

Using that information I looked for filter relocation kits for the Toyotas models that use the hp1003 filter and found several including this one. http://www.jcwhitney.com/Oil-Cooler-...1649_10101.jcw
I'm not sure if I'll use this exact one, but mostly all of the ones I found cost close to this price.There are some really nice Tuner Racing ones that are polished with braided lines and stuff that cost a bit more.

So there you go, problem solved!! and its an inexpensive fix! I can only imagine what an oil filter relocation kit would cost if it were specifically packaged for the Buell motor.

Last edited by scottyd; 10-12-2008 at 05:32 PM..
Old 08-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1979, Yamaha XS750
Not Ranked     
Gotta say, some motor's just look kool in some frames, this one looks killer in this frame so far.

And I quote SJ Bikesaws
"Remember that the true American hot rod scene was never started with a credit card and a catalog or the internet. Just a bunch of poor boys trying to get pu$$y and keep up with the style of the rich boys."
Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks for the compliments!

My rear wheel, tire and fender came in, I got the tire mounted on the rim and I put them on the frame to see how it'll look. I'll probably run the fender a tad shorter than what's shown here. The rear axle, sprocket, and brakes are on the way. I also ordered the springer. CAN'T WAIT!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1979, Yamaha XS750
Not Ranked     
I looked at this thread again and all I keep coming up with is "Beefy".

And I quote SJ Bikesaws
"Remember that the true American hot rod scene was never started with a credit card and a catalog or the internet. Just a bunch of poor boys trying to get pu$$y and keep up with the style of the rich boys."
Old 08-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd
Instead of posting this same information in everybody elses build threads you should start a build thread of your own. Be sure to include plenty of pictures on how you build your own mounts I'm sure it will be interesting.
Good one.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Waiting on parts is hard, my springer, rear sprocket, rear axle, and a few other items were supposed to be in last week but have not arrived yet. I HATE WAITING!!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Take it from me, never deal with a company called KC International for bike parts, these assholes have a lot to learn about customer service! I paid for a springer, brake rotor, rear sprocket over 3 weeks ago. Never once did I get an email explaining where the parts were. Finally a box arrives to the house with just the brake rotor. I call them to see whats up with the rest of my crap no luck sat listening to 80 pop music while on hold (kick me when I'm down sheesh), sent emails no replys, called again got someone on the phone and was told that he would check into it call me back when he figured out what was going on. He never called back. Finally had to start a dispute with paypal to get my money back. Called them this morning and the guy gets an attitude because I filed the dispute. Never once did they say where the rest of my parts were. I asked him where the hell my parts were he said "they are shipping next week" WTF?? They were supposed to have shipped on the 5th..... f-in assholes.

Its hard waiting for parts, but I would have had no problem if they would have came out and said straight up the parts are shipping on this date you'll have to wait untill then. I would have been cool with that. BUT instead they have held my money ransom without giving me any knowledge of whats going on. ASSHOLES! Never again! I'm pretty sure that the parts probably never would have shipped out.

Thank god for Paypal If I would have sent these cock smokers a money order I probably would have been S.O.L!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Got a little more done over the weekend.

Rear bottom motor mounts built, I'll weld these in once I can confirm that the sprockets align.

Front bottom mounts, the left has to be offset a bit. They still need some shaping done on em.

Rear tire centered on axle and spacers cut. I cut these on my little lathe, they are made from brass which I honestly don't know if that is good enough to use. My lathe is not stout enough for any other metals. I'll probably just take them to my local shop and have them use these as templates to make some out of stainless.

Started on a sissy bar, I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not......

Another view

I got the rear sprocket mounted and I measured for offset, with the motor sitting where it is now I only need 3/4" offset. I went ahead and ordered a 1.06 PBI sprocket and I can move the motor to the left if needed, this will give me a little more play room and get the motor a little more centered.

The springer is supposed to be in next week. Maybe then we can see how the overall look of this bike will be.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The front end finally arrived! Now I've got to think about what riser/bars I want to use. I also ditched the sissy bar for simple struts.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2012 Custom Trike, 89" S&S, 5spd with re
Not Ranked     
looking good, i like the looks of those frames. sucks about KC, seems a lot of those ebay places are pretty HIT or MISS.

good luck and keep postin the pics